PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

18-12 regular season...

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: 18-12 regular season...

Postby Rebel10 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:21 am

So I guess some are going to continue the 18-12 narrative and the June Jones crowd excuse.
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:45 am

sadderbudweiser wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:After an impressive effort at Wichita and Cincinnati this week, our guys come home and will have to beat both USF and UCF this week to have any hope of that 18-12 regular season and realistically, our guys will have to win both these games to have any hope of going 8-10 in AAC play and 16-14 overall in the regular season to guarantee a winning record. I don't see it happening but after the way they played this week, who knows. Sure hope we see decent crowds at Moody because these guys are playing their guts out.

Once, just once, it would be nice to hear the person responsible say....

“Those last two losses are on me. I could have recruited better. Then we’d have some depth and not tire and make dumb mistakes down the strech. And, I could manage the closing minutes of games better too. Maybe I could draw up a play or something.”

Except that you will NEVER hear a coach say anything negative about his recruits because he obviously saw something in them and believed they could play at this level. The REALLY tough part is how you deal with that player who you come to realize will never contribute and is just taking up space on your bench.
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:26 am

Rebel10 wrote:So I guess some are going to continue the 18-12 narrative and the June Jones crowd excuse.

I doubt there are many who actually think this team can win 6 of their last 9 AAC games against the better teams in our league to go 18-12 and I suppose there are some (who undoubtedly never played sports) who don't believe a packed house and rowdy crowd can help the home team win games they otherwise might not.
Charleston Pony

Postby Rebel10 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:21 am

My point is even if they did go 18-12 that’s not good as some are trying to say it is. Also the June Jones crowd excuse is probably by people that are uninformed or are willfully ignorant that we had good crowds until the reseat last year. So people that try to advance both narratives are obviously trying to be Hard core supporters of the coach and AD. The team issue is on the coach. The crowd issue is on the AD and whoever orchestrated the reseat, so don’t blame the fans on that.
Last edited by Rebel10 on Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby JasonB » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:02 pm

Rebel10 wrote:My point is even if they did go 18-12 that’s not good as some are trying to say it is. Also the June Jones crowd excuse is probably by people that are uninformed or are willfully ignorant that we had good crowds until the reseat last year. So people that try to advance both narratives are obviously trying to be Hard core supporters of the coach and AD. The team issue is on the coach. The crowd issue is on the AD and whoever orchestrated the reseat, so don’t blame the fans on that.

Again, there is nobody on here pushing a narrative that 18-12 is good enough. It is actually okay to root for the team to be successful and root for them to win individual games to try and get the best record possible, while also having much higher aspirations.

Charleston isn't offering an excuse. He's just saying that he hopes people come out to support the team. That's all. And that's okay.

Regarding attendance, it has started to become clear that during football season, people might have season tickets, but a lot don't show up unless we are playing a top opponent or the team is really, really good. After football ends, the crowds even for a team that isn't performing at a high level are actually better than I thought they would be.
JasonB

Postby tristatecoog » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:00 pm

The crowds weren’t all that great last year.
Post-LB, Foster out, etc.
crowds are solid but just not the madness of the couple LB peak years.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby Rebel10 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:27 pm

The reseat hurt attendance. Period. Last year the attendance was better than this year but not as good as the year before. But the reseat did the most damage.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby geezerdonk » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:54 pm

12-19: final record. Players to their credit have not thrown in the towel. Still playing hard despite being sabotaged by the coach and AD. Five scholarships in the last two years given to negative contribution non-players. Hunt, Mike, Chargois, even Whitt still have a chance to make something out of their college careers. I hope that they have sense enough to transfer. Single digit win seasons for Walk-On U for the foreseeable future.
A long tradition of existence.
geezerdonk
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:57 pm

We've had much higher "reported" attendance figures than actual butts in seats, so that tells me we still have a lot of fair weather season ticket holders. When I lived in Dallas and had season tickets, I had a guy sitting next to me that was a UT grad and bought tickets just so he would have good seats when his whorns came to town. Otherwise, the seats were vacant or would be used by friends of his. Bottom line is that the Moody remodel was a good thing because the old Moody felt really empty, even when we would draw 3500-4000. Today, that kind of crowd can make some noise in Moody and help the home team, but I sure wish we had the 5-6,000 reported numbers ACTUALLY attending.
Charleston Pony

Postby Rebel10 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:06 pm

Agree. The reseat left SMU basketball with more fair weather fans and ran off some of the dedicated fans.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:05 pm

Rebel10 wrote:Agree. The reseat left SMU basketball with more fair weather fans and ran off some of the dedicated fans.

More than "some".
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby redpony » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:37 pm

and if we continue to be on the losing end of games this year then the fair weather fans will disappear and the dedicated fans won't care to come back until there are big changes.
redpony

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:00 pm

redpony wrote:and if we continue to be on the losing end of games this year then the fair weather fans will disappear and the dedicated fans won't care to come back until there are big changes.

No...the 1500 has always been there to support this program and will continue to be there no matter what is going on. That has long been the approximate number of hard core fans supporting SMU hoops.
Charleston Pony

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:11 am

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:Agree. The reseat left SMU basketball with more fair weather fans and ran off some of the dedicated fans.

More than "some".

This! + Poor performance + leaving Tank to tank.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustang1992 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:40 am

Charleston Pony wrote:
redpony wrote:and if we continue to be on the losing end of games this year then the fair weather fans will disappear and the dedicated fans won't care to come back until there are big changes.

No...the 1500 has always been there to support this program and will continue to be there no matter what is going on. That has long been the approximate number of hard core fans supporting SMU hoops.

I am a hard core fan, been one my whole life. I have 3 degrees from SMU, so I am not just a fan about athletics, the school as a whole. But because of the re-seat I am no longer in the gym, I also cancelled my fball season tickets. This current athletic dept will not get another penny from me.
mustang1992
All-American

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball