PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Silver Linings

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Silver Linings

Postby JasonB » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:29 am

Wild Mustang wrote:Not sure why people call injuries, a short bench, and recruiting sanctions "excuses". This will never make since to me. People act like SMU should be ranked regardless. Name another program that has been hit with similar injuries and recruiting sanctions over the past few years. No one can because no other program has been hit so hard. We all want a better product on the floor. We all support our program. We all want good things for our players. No one is an apologist for accepting the unfortunate reality that we have endured over the past couple of seasons. SMU was hit hard. Next season we will hopefully have room to breathe and hopefully build our program back what we all want. Pony up!

So, here is the thing... a few recruiting classes ago, we did have valid restrictions on who we could recruit. We were severely restricted on visits, watching games, travel, the whole bit. There is a valid excuse there.

The last two recruiting classes, there have been zero restrictions on our ability to recruit. In the first one, we got Hunt, which is a very nice get. But for a team that desperately needed starters and was super thin, we have CJ White and Young. Both of whom are nice developmental pieces 3 years down the line. But we needed to recruit players who could play now, especially with the William Douglas situation, knowing Foster was going to be iffy with the knee, and knowing Ray was probably not going to be back. We knew all of those things going into the season, and yet he went after developmental players instead of immediate contributors.

Now you have the current recruiting class. Knowing that we are losing 3 seniors and need players to step in immediately, we currently have a JUCO who isn't ranked very high, and two other players who are ranked low. It doesn't set us up for success.

That is the ultimate concern. The "right" coach with these facilities, the school, and the city, should be able to pull in top 250 recruits when needed And yes, there are spots for the developmental guys with your 9-13 scholarships But we aren't filling those spots right now. Jank recruits and handles his team like someone with zero confidence. He doesn't go after big recruits, and he keeps the role of players coach and doesn't install defensive discipline because he is afraid of [deleted] players off and that they will leave. We need to bring in a coach who is confident about what the school, facilities, alumni, and city have to offer.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby LA_Mustang » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:48 am

PonyLawExpress wrote:I have no idea how people still support Jank....
1) We have lost at home to USM and USF this season. On the USF, loss they won like 3 conference games last season and in one season, while missing their best guy versus us, either out coached, out schemed and out efforted us at Moody us or out talented us. Either way two programs trending in totally different directions. We are 9-5 at Moody this season. That is weak given our nonconference. Our best win at Moody is Tulsa. 2nd best ECU or Cornell? We are 2-5 at Moody against teams with winning records.... 2-5.
2) recruiting... how is our C-USA level recruiting class expected to help this team that is gonna finish between 7-10th in the AAC all of a sudden become top 3 when we lose McMurray, Foster, Dixon and likely Whitt. I guess all those other sub 250 guys have panned our for us in the past....
3) defense. We are sub 250 in the nation defensively... that is coaching and culture. Not much can be said because our last 3 losses we did enough offensively to win..
4) scholarship excuses. We only lost 2 schollies this season so only 2 off what everyone else has... as LA said 12th and 13th men play for NO ONE. Jank had 3 scholarships open all spring and summer to add three contributors. He gave one to a walk-on in Jahmar Young who should be redshirting and one to a kid who had one offer and was headed to prep school. He chose to give two scholarships to developmental players and now wants to conplain about having a short bench. He knew Ray wouldn’t play this season. This wasn’t sprung on Jank months ago it was his roster construction that gave us only 6-7 guys who can play at this level. He has 11 scholarships. If he had 13 why would you think he would take a more immediate contributor if he didn’t do that with scholarship 10 & 11.
5) Injuries. Everyone has them. You knew about Ray coming into the season. You either dump him or treat him like a transfer sitting out. Jarrey injury was bad luck but if you cant be above .500 losing one guy what does that say about rest of your roster construction... Baylor lost almost there whole team from last season, has multiple guys sitting out for transfer rules, and lost one of their top 2 guys around December and rallied and is in top 3 of B12. That is good coaching and adjustments.
6) playing 5 on 5, if you haven’t noticed SMU has a managers team that play games https://twitter.com/smu_managers/status ... 38528?s=21
They are ranked in top 5. Numerous college basketball players in that group... you couldnt put them in shorts and run 5 on 5...that would be to easy but that would negate the excuse. Not like Jon Ekey who played oversees in 2014 could fill in for an extra body... such a weak excuse.

7) best point we are 3-9 agaisnt teams with WINNING RECORDS. Not top 50 teams but winning records. Would be 3-10 but Bradley is .500. 2-5 against teams with winning records at Moody... how is this acceptable to anyone... but any Jank apologist just keep making excuses and we will obviously be top 3 next season because we have 13 players... of course that is the issue...just give Jank two more CJ whites and we will be 9-3 agaisnt teams with winning records. My mistake.

Preach!
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby Stallion » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:03 pm

It is what it is-but not one of you can honestly deny that with one single healthy Jarrey Foster SMU probably would have won the last 3 straight huge wins and positioned itself pretty well for a good finish. With a healthy Jarrey SMU probably has 4-5 more wins this year-a conservative estimate. Its ludicrous but so much fun for some of you to pretend that it doesn't matter. Losing Jarrey and Shake last year and Jarrey returning at half his potential this year and then injured again in the last 2 years of the scholarship limitations has been a hard road. You guys make fun about people outside the program acknowledging the "excuses"-maybe the ones who have lost perspective are YOU
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby PonyKai » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:05 pm

Stallion wrote:It is what it is-but not one of you can honestly deny that with one single healthy Jarrey Foster SMU probably would have won the last 3 straight huge wins and positioned itself pretty well for a good finish. With a healthy Jarrey SMU probably has 4-5 more wins this year-a conservative estimate. Its ludicrous but so much fun for some of you to pretend that it doesn't matter. Losing Jarrey and Shake last year and Jarrey returning at half his potential this year and then injured again in the last 2 years of the scholarship limitations has been a hard road. You guys make fun about people outside the program acknowledging the "excuses"-maybe the ones who have lost perspective are YOU

Once you realize Stallion actually has no guiding principles for any of this crap and just exists to be a contrarian, his schtick is actually pretty funny.
PonyKai

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:10 pm

Would be nice if Jarrey could get a hardship/medical RS and another year. Between this year and last, he basically lost the equivalent of a full season...but his injuries might be career ending?
Charleston Pony

Postby JasonB » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:13 pm

Stallion wrote:It is what it is-but not one of you can honestly deny that with one single healthy Jarrey Foster SMU probably would have won the last 3 straight huge wins and positioned itself pretty well for a good finish. With a healthy Jarrey SMU probably has 4-5 more wins this year-a conservative estimate. Its ludicrous but so much fun for some of you to pretend that it doesn't matter. Losing Jarrey and Shake last year and Jarrey returning at half his potential this year and then injured again in the last 2 years of the scholarship limitations has been a hard road. You guys make fun about people outside the program acknowledging the "excuses"-maybe the ones who have lost perspective are YOU

Jank new about those issues and limitations coming into the year. He had 4 scholarships to give, no recruiting restrictions, and found Dixon, Hunt, Young, and White. That isn't good enough. We needed 3 contributors and 1 developmental piece.
JasonB

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:23 pm

He’s certainly the ultimate contrarian about BB.

Recruiting expert who has no qualms with tank bring in 7 recruits with an average national ranking of 450.

Says lack of fan support at Ford hinders our recruiting.
In defense of Chad, says it takes consistent winning before one gets better recruits.

Those arguments don’t hold for BB, yet he is remarkably sanguine about tank.

Everyone gets it. Injuries happen. That is not why we want tank gone.
SoCal_Pony

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:10 pm

And if Chaggy goes to the NBA next year like you predicted....we're REALLY screwed.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby The Falcon » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:37 am

Just my opinion, but I don't think Shaggy is going to the NBA next year.

He has a ways to go yet before he will be ready for pro ball.

Many people on this board have already given up on the recruits for next year; however,
Bandoumel, McBride, and Cook may surprise you. Chalk it up to the fact that I am always pulling for the underdogs. These 3 guys are having good years and many times lower ranked guys turn out to
be better college players than predicted. It has to do with character, determination, and work
ethic. Before we start badmouthing these players, let's wait and see how they do. Cook may
have recovered from his hospitalization - there is talk that he has.

If things work out next year, we could be better than this year. Of course this supposes that
Chaggy and Witt are back, that Mike continues to play like he currently is, and that Hunt
continues to get better. And it probably is a long shot, but what if McMurray does get another
year from the NCAA? We would have our current starting 5 back with another year of experience
and we would have a shot blocker and rebounder in our Aggie transfer plus a hopefully
rejuvenated Everett Ray. Then it is quite possible that Young may make some improvement
along with White whom I think shows some signs of being a player who just needs more minutes
to make his move. Now add in the 3 new players who have skills that we need - we could
be better. We won't miss Jarrey that much because he has been out most of the year anyway.
I like the way Dixon plays but he hasn't added much in these last 3 games.

I know I am a sunshiner but I prefer to wait until these guys hit the floor next year to see what
we have instead of knocking them before they play. I like to support SMU and our teams and
I have been doing that for many years through the good, the bad, and the ugly.
The Falcon
All-American

Postby JasonB » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:21 am

The Falcon wrote:Just my opinion, but I don't think Shaggy is going to the NBA next year.

He has a ways to go yet before he will be ready for pro ball.

Many people on this board have already given up on the recruits for next year; however,
Bandoumel, McBride, and Cook may surprise you. Chalk it up to the fact that I am always pulling for the underdogs. These 3 guys are having good years and many times lower ranked guys turn out to
be better college players than predicted. It has to do with character, determination, and work
ethic. Before we start badmouthing these players, let's wait and see how they do. Cook may
have recovered from his hospitalization - there is talk that he has.

If things work out next year, we could be better than this year. Of course this supposes that
Chaggy and Witt are back, that Mike continues to play like he currently is, and that Hunt
continues to get better. And it probably is a long shot, but what if McMurray does get another
year from the NCAA? We would have our current starting 5 back with another year of experience
and we would have a shot blocker and rebounder in our Aggie transfer plus a hopefully
rejuvenated Everett Ray. Then it is quite possible that Young may make some improvement
along with White whom I think shows some signs of being a player who just needs more minutes
to make his move. Now add in the 3 new players who have skills that we need - we could
be better. We won't miss Jarrey that much because he has been out most of the year anyway.
I like the way Dixon plays but he hasn't added much in these last 3 games.

I know I am a sunshiner but I prefer to wait until these guys hit the floor next year to see what
we have instead of knocking them before they play. I like to support SMU and our teams and
I have been doing that for many years through the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Name the last non top 250 recruit we had who came in and contributed immediately?
JasonB

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:41 am

The Falcon wrote:Just my opinion, but I don't think Shaggy is going to the NBA next year.

sarcasm missed
Charleston Pony

Postby friarwolf » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:28 am

If,if,may, if,if,may,if,if......We have regressed all the way back to the [deleted] old days. When you have to say our recruits may be good, and if someone gets better, you are screwed.....
friarwolf
Heisman

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:51 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:

sarcasm missed

LOL.... exactly. But he’s on the board well ahead of Pringles.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:28 pm

The Falcon wrote:Many people on this board have already given up on the recruits for next year; however, Bandoumel, McBride, and Cook may surprise you. Chalk it up to the fact that I am always pulling for the underdogs. These 3 guys are having good years and many times lower ranked guys turn out to be better college players than predicted. It has to do with character, determination, and work ethic. Before we start badmouthing these players, let's wait and see how they do. Cook may have recovered from his hospitalization - there is talk that he has.

If Jank is allowed another year, we had better hope this is the case or we might watch Tulane and ECU run past us next year!
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:46 pm

Jimmy Whitt was our leading scorer with 23 points against UCF but had a bad day in terms of assists:turnovers going 4:3. He still leads the nation in assist:turnover ratio with better than 3.5:1 this season. He averages less than 5 assists per game and is nowhere near the national leaders, but he has really become an effective PG this year. Sure hope he decides to play out his eligibility at SMU.
Charleston Pony

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball