PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Silver Linings

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Silver Linings

Postby PonyKai » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:44 am

Charleston Pony wrote:Jimmy Whitt was our leading scorer with 23 points against UCF but had a bad day in terms of assists:turnovers going 4:3. He still leads the nation in assist:turnover ratio with better than 3.5:1 this season. He averages less than 5 assists per game and is nowhere near the national leaders, but he has really become an effective PG this year. Sure hope he decides to play out his eligibility at SMU.

And if he doesn't....who runs the point? Who runs the offense to the extent we even have an offense?
PonyKai
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby EastStang » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:49 am

Our problem is that we have trouble finishing games. With a rotation of at best 7 players, you have to add in fouls, tired players, and less qualified players on the floor. By the end of the game, you notice, guys are hitting shots off the front of the rim, bricking free throws, and not controlling the other team on defense. These are all because players are worried about fouling out or tiredness. I agree with Stallion on this one, a healthy Jarray Foster gives you 3-5 more wins at this point. As I have pointed out, we are a team that is not going to get a look from many Top 50 players. We have to focus on 3-4 star players and hope some of them develop. We are not going to be a team that features one and dones, instead we are probably going to be a team which is highly competitive every four years or so. This is because of who we can realistically recruit. It doesn't matter whether your coach is Jank or Coach K., our self-imposed recruiting rules make it impossible to land the big fish absent a miracle connection.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby mrydel » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:56 am

Sounds like the Lone Ranger has left the building. Not seeing much of Silver.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:00 pm

UH copied our blueprint perfectly. They are exactly where we were in 2015 - beautiful new 7k arena, sellout crowds, city is buzzing about the program, almost impossible to beat at home, loading up on quality transfers and top 150 HS recruits. Kelvin Sampson is the perfect AAC coach. I wish we could clone him.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:46 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:UH copied our blueprint perfectly. They are exactly where we were in 2015 - beautiful new 7k arena, sellout crowds, city is buzzing about the program, almost impossible to beat at home, loading up on quality transfers and top 150 HS recruits. Kelvin Sampson is the perfect AAC coach. I wish we could clone him.

I was thinking the exact same thing while watching their game yesterday.

Houston probably has the right administration and donors (donor) to keep things in place long term too.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby mtrout » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:57 pm

I'll say it again. Houston owns us. They want to win.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:18 pm

mtrout wrote:I'll say it again. Houston owns us. They want to win.

I think every public university in Texas that we have any significant history with has owned us for a long, long time now. Just hope UNT doesn't join our old SWC mates and Houston in that regard
Charleston Pony

Postby sadderbudweiser » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:30 pm

PonyKai wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:Jimmy Whitt was our leading scorer with 23 points against UCF but had a bad day in terms of assists:turnovers going 4:3. He still leads the nation in assist:turnover ratio with better than 3.5:1 this season. He averages less than 5 assists per game and is nowhere near the national leaders, but he has really become an effective PG this year. Sure hope he decides to play out his eligibility at SMU.

And if he doesn't....who runs the point? Who runs the offense to the extent we even have an offense?

Even if Jank is fired in March you have to expect a down year or two with the new guy and regardless of who stays and who goes. All you have to do is look at UCONN and Memphis today. But they have one thing we dont: hope.

Staying positive will be tough. Look at what Greg Marshall is dealing with this year. Sampson didn’t make Houston good immediately. Look at USF now. They are top 4 in the AAC next year.

Hopefully we begin the rebound next month.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby PoconoPony » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:36 pm

EastStang wrote:Our problem is that we have trouble finishing games. With a rotation of at best 7 players, you have to add in fouls, tired players, and less qualified players on the floor. By the end of the game, you notice, guys are hitting shots off the front of the rim, bricking free throws, and not controlling the other team on defense. These are all because players are worried about fouling out or tiredness. I agree with Stallion on this one, a healthy Jarray Foster gives you 3-5 more wins at this point. As I have pointed out, we are a team that is not going to get a look from many Top 50 players. We have to focus on 3-4 star players and hope some of them develop. We are not going to be a team that features one and dones, instead we are probably going to be a team which is highly competitive every four years or so. This is because of who we can realistically recruit. It doesn't matter whether your coach is Jank or Coach K., our self-imposed recruiting rules make it impossible to land the big fish absent a miracle connection.

With the right young coach we can elevate the program to consistently recruit top 100 kids. Our problem is that we have never had the right coach ( LB showed we could start turning things around ) that has all the tools to make it to the next step. Buzz Williams at VTech, Wojo at Marquette and Danny Hurley at UConn are types of people we need.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby JasonB » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:49 pm

EastStang wrote:Our problem is that we have trouble finishing games. With a rotation of at best 7 players, you have to add in fouls, tired players, and less qualified players on the floor. By the end of the game, you notice, guys are hitting shots off the front of the rim, bricking free throws, and not controlling the other team on defense. These are all because players are worried about fouling out or tiredness. I agree with Stallion on this one, a healthy Jarray Foster gives you 3-5 more wins at this point. As I have pointed out, we are a team that is not going to get a look from many Top 50 players. We have to focus on 3-4 star players and hope some of them develop. We are not going to be a team that features one and dones, instead we are probably going to be a team which is highly competitive every four years or so. This is because of who we can realistically recruit. It doesn't matter whether your coach is Jank or Coach K., our self-imposed recruiting rules make it impossible to land the big fish absent a miracle connection.

You don't need top 50 guys. You need top 250 guys, which are very gettable with the right coach because of our location, facilities and school. The problem isn't with the 5 extra scholarship players we should have right now. The problem is that we have too many non top 250 players on the roster.
JasonB

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:43 pm

JasonB wrote:

You don't need top 50 guys. You need top 250 guys, which are very gettable with the right coach because of our location, facilities and school. The problem isn't with the 5 extra scholarship players we should have right now. The problem is that we have too many non top 250 players on the roster.

I agree with this for the most part except I think you need to mix in a top 125 level HS recruit each class too. Kind of like UH did last cycle with Hinton and this cycle and Mills. Both of these guys are so much more talented than anyone we landed in 2019. Beating a dead horse but our last four HS recruits are ranked 350+. That is a recipe for disaster in the AAC.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby PonyTime » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:59 pm

"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby redpony » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:46 pm

the only silver lining tankovich is looking at is the buyout money he will get when he is fired- and that can't come soon enough.
redpony

Postby PonySnob » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:19 pm

Two years ago today as we got our 18th win in a row at Moody

Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby mustangxc » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:51 pm

Stallion wrote:It is what it is-but not one of you can honestly deny that with one single healthy Jarrey Foster SMU probably would have won the last 3 straight huge wins and positioned itself pretty well for a good finish. With a healthy Jarrey SMU probably has 4-5 more wins this year-a conservative estimate. Its ludicrous but so much fun for some of you to pretend that it doesn't matter. Losing Jarrey and Shake last year and Jarrey returning at half his potential this year and then injured again in the last 2 years of the scholarship limitations has been a hard road. You guys make fun about people outside the program acknowledging the "excuses"-maybe the ones who have lost perspective are YOU

I am with you 100%, but who has he recruited to replace Shake and Jarrey? A healthy full roster next season is still worse than the team on the floor right now that is without Foster!
mustangxc

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball