PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Garrett Gilbert

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Garrett Gilbert

Postby malonish » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:40 pm

horsemanx wrote:
leopold wrote:I’d argue the bigger threat is MMA.

It has all the violence and physicality of football with less of a risk. It’s grown faster with women, can be practiced in some manner all your life, and has a more practical application than football, considering it’s use as self-defense. Heck, Trey Quinn was leading the country in receptions and said he dreamed of being an MMA fighter.

That's a great point. MMA totally fits with the way society is degenerating with tattoos and violence, etc.

ESPN already covers it more than soccer as well.

Horseman yells at cloud.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Mustangsabu » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:28 pm

Donnell88 wrote:
JasonB wrote:
Mustangsabu wrote:It’s time to just embrace Major League Soccer.

Deep down y’all know it’s true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I'll call this.

In 5 years, MLS will be way beyond the NHL as the fourth major league in the US.

A huge stink has been raised over the past year about the US failing to qualify for the world cup, and rightfully so.

That said, we are about to enter a golden age of US soccer that we have never seen before. Fans of soccer in the US are going to quickly adopt the US as their team and grow attached to US stars, and the sport is going to mainstream quickly, at an even faster pace than it has over the last 10 years. The players just starting their careers right now at 18-20 years old in Eurpoe at top clubs are outstanding (Weah, Pulisic, McKinney, Adams, Sargent, etc). And the next round of players at the U-20 and U-17 levels are even better and deeper. The profile of the US player is going to rise significantly, and we have already seen that in recent transfer fees.

On top of that, the instant success Tyler Adams has had at Leipzig after his transfer from RBNY brings major credibility to MLS as a league. Almeron will do the same at Newcastle. The revenue MLS brings in with these transfers over the next 5 years is going to enable clubs to even further invest in their youth acadamies, will significantly increase the popularity of the league, and over the next 10 years, MLS will transition from a selling league to a buying league, becoming one of the top leagues in the world.

There has been a bunch of talk about soccer catching on in the US since the 70s. The evolution of MLS has been slow, but consistent. Soccer in the US is just about to hit the hockey stick growth that was anticipated to happen eventually for the past 40 years.

A few years ago, Central Florida played at SMU during an ice storm. UCF won a close game; it was telecast on ESPN. During the same time slot, the MLS Championship game was televised on ABC. The tv ratings for the UCF vs SMU game were twice the number for the soccer game. I for one am not convinced that soccer is going to continue to dramatically grow its audience.

TV audiences have been hard to get for MLS. But the TV contract for the league back in 2013 was $18M a year, this year it is $90M. Attendance at games is up and more people attend MLS games (per game) than NBA or NHL. It's good value entertainment and when the US national team gets back on track I think things will really get moving in the right direction before the 2026 world cup in the US.

What is going on in Atlanta with soccer in crazy. Of course we still beat them in Frisco....
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU Pom Mom » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:52 pm

Soccer is fun to play and I guess fun to watch in person but not so fun to watch on TV. One thing that can be done to get Americans more interested in the sport and vested in the player is for the NCAA to make it a headcount sport with 25 scholarships instead of a 9.9 equivalency sport. Currently all but the very top recruits are lucky if they get 25% which is worth only about 18K at SMU. Not worth it. Until the NCAA takes it seriously, soccer will always be just a sport for kids in this country.
SMU Pom Mom
All-American

Postby PoconoPony » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:01 pm

SMU Pom Mom wrote:Soccer is fun to play and I guess fun to watch in person but not so fun to watch on TV. One thing that can be done to get Americans more interested in the sport and vested in the player is for the NCAA to make it a headcount sport with 25 scholarships instead of a 9.9 equivalency sport. Currently all but the very top recruits are lucky if they get 25% which is worth only about 18K at SMU. Not worth it. Until the NCAA takes it seriously, soccer will always be just a sport for kids in this country.

Total need to protect the sacred cows: football and basketball.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby footballdad » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:38 pm

Soccer is like women's basketball............nobody cares!
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:34 pm

Meanwhile, Gilbert is tearing it up through 1st 2 games. He's hit 34 of 53 passes (64%) for 620 yards and 4 TDs with no INTs. If he keeps playing like this, he will find his way onto some NFL roster
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby leopold » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:02 pm

As soon as you saw him paired with Spurrier you knew he was going to have a chance to light it up.

Go Garrett!
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby 78pony » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:51 pm

footballdad wrote:Soccer is like women's basketball............nobody cares!

Not true. Mom, dad and sis care. The end.
78pony
Heisman

Postby Mustangsabu » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:59 pm

SMU Pom Mom wrote:Soccer is fun to play and I guess fun to watch in person but not so fun to watch on TV. One thing that can be done to get Americans more interested in the sport and vested in the player is for the NCAA to make it a headcount sport with 25 scholarships instead of a 9.9 equivalency sport. Currently all but the very top recruits are lucky if they get 25% which is worth only about 18K at SMU. Not worth it. Until the NCAA takes it seriously, soccer will always be just a sport for kids in this country.

Much of what you say is true but collegiate soccer is not the route to a professional career, unlike basketball and football. While a many players (mostly those who end up in the draft) come into MLS from college, the top kids go pro before college. It makes the NCAA rules maddening because you have kids who want college as a fall-back but if they are to make the leap to professional football they are typically picked up by a team at 15-16.
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Jackets N Pones » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:27 pm

Garett Gilbert for first ever AAF MVP!

History in the making.
Spirits the best in the land
And right to the end we'll stand
For the M-U-S-T-A-N-G-S
FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!
Jackets N Pones
Junior Varsity

Postby AusTxPony » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:40 pm

Really nice article in Austin Statesman newspaper today (Tues) on Garrett. FYI. Mentions his throwing for 393 yds, while no other QB in AAF had thrown for 300 yds/game, yet.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyTime » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:10 pm

Jackets N Pones wrote:Garett Gilbert for first ever AAF MVP!

History in the making.

If Bo Levi can hoist a Grey Cup, I am pretty certain that Garrett can hoist whatever it is you win for the AAF Championship!
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby footballdad » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:06 pm

Garrett shining again. Hope he gets another shot in the NFL. Serious lack of QB talent should at least give him a backup opportunity again.

ttps://www.si.com/college-football/2019 ... -longhorns

“Garrett is a very smart guy and he wants to do everything perfect and you change coaches on him, change systems, and then you’re a rookie again every time you do that,” says June Jones, who coached Gilbert at SMU from 2012 to ’13. “Some guys need to be in the same system with the same coaches. I think if Garrett had played for me for five years he probably would have been a first-round draft pick.”
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:59 pm

He looks head and shoulders above any other QBs in this league. Agree he should find a spot on somebody's NFL roster next season.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby WildHorse » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:46 am

footballdad wrote:Soccer is like women's basketball............nobody cares!

Wrong.
I go to WBB and to watch both soccer teams every chance I get.
Go PONIES!
WildHorse
All-American

Previous

Return to Football