PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Boulevard changing

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Boulevard changing

Postby AusTxPony » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:56 am

How did we get so many students at games in Cowboy Stadium, Irving? We were winning! How did we get so many in the Mob at Moody, we were winning! It's up to the coaches and players to attract more of these kids.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby ponyboy » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:46 pm

There’s your answer. Next question please
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:49 pm

Not completely true. Even in the Pony Express era, we struggled with attendance including student attendance. SMU kids will come out to Ford/Moody when it is "the place to be seen"...because they are SMU kids.
Charleston Pony

Postby SMUer » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:06 pm

It's just "so SMU" to care about your scenery for an event where you plan to crank Sweet Home Alabama 60X and get piss-drunk.
SMUer

Postby Mexmustang » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:49 pm

When the Blvd. first opened, many of the fraternity tents were in prime spots on the south center of the blvd. My wife and I had two students and enjoyed going to seen not only our friends but the boy's fraternity tent, just to observe what they were up to and enjoy watching their college experience from afar.
When they moved the student tents to Dallas Hall, my wife grabbed Gerald and read him the riot act for moving the students so far from the general blvd. scene. His comment was, "The students don't really care where they are, they just want to drink". She doesn't take well to being talked down to and told him, well, "Well, we're the ones paying for it Gerald and I like seeing my sons before the game" and stomped off.
I'm sure the attitude is still the same.
However, if anyone went to the bowl game a few year's ago, held at Ford, you would have seen what the north end of the stadium could look like, tents, a band, platform, vendors, etc. it was pretty nice. I would hope the closer to the stadium the more students would attend. If they are smart, they will allow the tents to re-open for 45 minutes during half-time to ensure attendance happens.

By the way, other that hiring Sonny, probably only because of financial considerations (Cal paying a good deal of his salary), just who has Ricky Boy hired? Jank?
Mexmustang
Hall of Famer

Postby mavsrage311 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:06 pm

Nope. Jank was the coach in waiting hired with Larry under Orsini, and while he may not be well liked around here anymore, Chad Morris was an excellent hire for where we were as a program. He’s going to hire a very good basketball coach too, when Jank is fired. Hopefully after this year and not next.
Dallas Mavericks - 2011 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Long live the Circle of Champions!
mavsrage311
Heisman

Postby AusTxPony » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:05 pm

Also we got a pretty good, respected coach for Men's Tennis, Men's Golf and Soccer. Didn't Hart hire them? I think our Men's Golf got the #1 recruiting class in the nation last year. I'd say lighten up a bit on Hart till we see what he can do with Bball. I doubt we will give up that revenue without a fight.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby smupony94 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:39 pm

AusTxPony wrote:Also we got a pretty good, respected coach for Men's Tennis, Men's Golf and Soccer. Didn't Hart hire them? I think our Men's Golf got the #1 recruiting class in the nation last year. I'd say lighten up a bit on Hart till we see what he can do with Bball. I doubt we will give up that revenue without a fight.

Rick can’t fire Jank without Miller’s blessing. Money just isn’t there.
smupony94

Postby redpony » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:51 pm

edwa wrote:Mr hart has done some great hires as a AD,

Really? great hires? since he has been here he has hired (IIRC) bball coaches-2, fball coaches-2, tennis coach, mens soccer coach, golf coach, womens bball coach etc.
Now, the important question- how many of those coaches have won our conference in their sport? how many have gotten to a national championship level? (i.e. ncaa bball tourney) and advanced beyond the initial game?
I suspect our record in most sports in not a lot greater than our current bball program and that IMO does not reflect on 'great hires". top level recruits are only as good as their performance when they represent us.
redpony

Postby mtrout » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:53 pm

I clicked every sport on the SMU athletics page. Here is what we have so far. Some sports have not had their championship yet

Men's BB 13-13 9th
Women BB 9-17 12th
XC- 4th
Equestrian- 7-2
Football 5-7 7th
Men Soc 10-5-3 1st
W Soc 10-6-2 5th
M Tennis 8-6 3rd
W Tennis 4-6 5th
Track- 4th
Volleyball 12-16 5th

M Golf- tbd
W Golf- tbd
M Swim- tbd
W Swim- tbd
Rowing- tbd
Last edited by mtrout on Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby AusTxPony » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:54 pm

I'm not advocating for or against Hart, but SMU has 14 AAC Conference Championships all-time surpassed by only UCF (15), Houston (16) and...Tulsa (16 - which surprises me). We sorely need one in Football to make us a power player, at least in our conference. Bear in mind that we compete in less sports than most of our conference mates.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby mtrout » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:59 pm

SMU AAC Conf champions. Objective measurements are fun...and rarely posted

BBALL 2
XC 2
MGOLF 1
MSOC 2
WSWIM 2
TRACK 3
VB 2
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby redpony » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:41 pm

mtrout wrote:SMU AAC Conf champions. Objective measurements are fun...and rarely posted

BBALL 2
XC 2
MGOLF 1
MSOC 2
WSWIM 2
TRACK 3
VB 2

Are those results of coaches hired since Hart became AD? We have a track championship and we don't even have track!
redpony

Postby mrydel » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:34 pm

We have women’s track
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby redpony » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:50 pm

mrydel wrote:We have women’s track

I thought that was women's track- cross country. Not sprints, decath. high jump etc.
redpony

PreviousNext

Return to Football