PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Don't Bring Me No Bad News!

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Don't Bring Me No Bad News!

Postby hoopmanx » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:05 am

Wild Mustang wrote:The positive news is that with players transferring out scholarships have opened up. Last year's Freshman were not ready for D1 Ball. Hoping that ll the Freshman from last year transfer out. We need more production from incoming Freshman. Swing and miss.

I really need to not respond to posts like this, but its so hard. I can see if you say last years freshman weren't ready to be 10 game plus starters on a good team, but not ready for D1 ball? You hope they all transfer out? I sure hope they find a soft spot for Ethan Chargois, all aac rookie big. Get rid of a 6'6 shooter, who we beat tons of P5s for, just a year ago. What about the kid we moved up his OV, just to beat big bad Dixon and TCU to the punch?

You guys have to separate the concepts of cupboard being bare vs unproven talent. Our cupboard isnt bare compared to rest of league, we just don't know what we have in #MikeHunt, Ray, Young and MemphisDoug. Huge difference, which is why some in Crum don't quite get all the hand wringing and whining here and other places. Perspective.

Now, do we need to get a trail win here shortly for someone legit? Absolutely. That said, we aren't looking for saviors here. We're looking to move Whitt, a 10, 5 & 3 guy to the bench.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyTime » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:47 am

hoopmanx wrote:which is why some in Crum don't quite get all the hand wringing and whining here and other places. Perspective.

I sure hope "some in Crum" are not putting stock into ANYTHING that is whined about on this board relating to the personnel on the floor.

Now the re-seat, that's another story. I believe that we have plenty of business expertise on this board, but very few career Basketball experts.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby oilpony » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:21 am

hoopmanx wrote:
Wild Mustang wrote:The positive news is that with players transferring out scholarships have opened up. Last year's Freshman were not ready for D1 Ball. Hoping that ll the Freshman from last year transfer out. We need more production from incoming Freshman. Swing and miss.

I really need to not respond to posts like this, but its so hard. I can see if you say last years freshman weren't ready to be 10 game plus starters on a good team, but not ready for D1 ball? You hope they all transfer out? I sure hope they find a soft spot for Ethan Chargois, all aac rookie big. Get rid of a 6'6 shooter, who we beat tons of P5s for, just a year ago. What about the kid we moved up his OV, just to beat big bad Dixon and TCU to the punch?

You guys have to separate the concepts of cupboard being bare vs unproven talent. Our cupboard isnt bare compared to rest of league, we just don't know what we have in #MikeHunt, Ray, Young and MemphisDoug. Huge difference, which is why some in Crum don't quite get all the hand wringing and whining here and other places. Perspective.

Now, do we need to get a trail win here shortly for someone legit? Absolutely. That said, we aren't looking for saviors here. We're looking to move Whitt, a 10, 5 & 3 guy to the bench.

The sky is always falling according to a few of the posters on this site.
oilpony
All-American

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:57 am

It all stems from an investment of significant emotional capital into an athletics program that has delivered consistent heartbreak over a period of several decades. Even the Pony Express was just a shooting star that ended in epic disaster. Having said that, past performance is not indicative of future results. I think the b-ball program is healthier ham I have ever seen it. And I think for the first time in my 20 years as an SMU alum, SMU is trying to build something that will endure. Stumbles along the way. . . sure. Is the re-seat a “pisser-offer” . . . sure. But let’s just see what we roll out next season vis a vis our conference mates. I think we may be presently surprised.
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby mustang92 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:43 pm

We should start an over/under for every thread: how many posts before someone brings up the re-seat. I'm guessing the average is about 5.
mustang92
Scout Team

Postby oilpony » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:57 pm

mustang92 wrote:We should start an over/under for every thread: how many posts before someone brings up the re-seat. I'm guessing the average is about 5.

What re-seat? :D
oilpony
All-American

Postby One Trick Pony » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:03 pm

Oil you should post your birdie info from CP. That's probably the most accurate assessment of the blank blank to date.
One Trick Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby oilpony » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:52 am

One Trick Pony wrote:Oil you should post your birdie info from CP. That's probably the most accurate assessment of the blank blank to date.

I think I will keep it between us.
oilpony
All-American

Postby Bergermeister » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:16 pm

1983 Cotton Bowl wrote: I think we may be presently surprised.

:?
Bergermeister

Postby One Trick Pony » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:17 pm

oilpony wrote:
One Trick Pony wrote:Oil you should post your birdie info from CP. That's probably the most accurate assessment of the blank blank to date.

I think I will keep it between us.

Oh I see how you are lol
One Trick Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:20 pm

Assuming Jarrey comes back and is healthy, I'm not concerned about a starting 5 of McMurray, Whitt, Foster, Mike and Chargois (assuming those are the starters) with Hunt, Ray & Douglas off the bench. Key will be how much production we can get from those 3 key subs and there is still the possibility this staff can find another impact guy to add to next year's roster.
Charleston Pony

Postby mustangxc » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:27 pm

I hope Jarrey is paying attention to the NFL draft. Courtland was projected as a first rounder and fell to the second round. Trey was projected as a third rounder and hasn't been drafted yet. Justin projected as a later round pick and we'll see if he gets drafted. No guarantees either way but hopefully he sees that a year of proving he is back healthy can do wonders for his stock.
mustangxc

Postby Mustangsabu » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:53 pm

hoopmanx wrote:Beta Maxey was fired!
Landrum sent packing,
Akoy prob not back
Lots of post grad, transfer and juco visitors. Top 2 or 3 for eacj

Check roster

1) Juco or PG
2) MacMurray
3) Foster
4) Mike
5) Chargois

Whitt
MemphisDoug
Hunt
Ray

Our top 3 bench players in that likely scenario, are top 100 kids nationally there senior year. Whitt could easily be 6th man of the year w/that line-up.

Lots of sky is falling types for no reason yet. Wichita St looks like Chernobyl right now. Chill biznitches

Just waiting on confirmation that the sky is in fact falling and the biznitches are free to unchill :)
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby tristatecoog » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:47 pm

Beta Maxey was fired!
Landrum sent packing,
Akoy prob not back

If that wasn't the case, the team would be able to practice 5-on-5 or were there a limited number of 'ships?
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Previous

Return to Basketball