PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Any Jank defenders left?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Any Jank defenders left?

Postby East Coast Mustang » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:01 pm

Hate to say it, but the man is completely in over his head. He cannot recruit, he’s not a particularly good in-game coach, and he seems disinterested in doing the little things off the court to promote the program. It’s frustrating because we saw the potential we have under LB; and Jank has torpedoed all of that momentum and goodwill in just two years. We need to move on after this season.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Any Jank defenders left?

Postby Bergermeister » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:43 am

Bueller? Bueller?
Bergermeister

Postby dcpony » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:09 pm

Jank and his guys have whiffed pretty [deleted] recruits. Seems like Jank and co. were banking on the Maxeys to get SMU back on track. And when that deal went up in flames they had no back up plan besides transfers.
dcpony
All-American

Postby ponyte » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:49 pm

Yeah, lets fire a man without giving him a chance to compete on a level field. He has lacked scholarships. He has lacked talented players to practice. He has lacked enough players to often have a 5 on 5 practices.

Imagine if Ron Meyer, one of the best recruiter of all time in any sports, told Eric Dickerson that he didn't have enough scholarships to recruit enough offensive linemen? Think Dickerson would have turned down A$M? Think Dickerson would have though, ‘Hades, its not like I need offensive linemen to succeed.’ We all know if Dickerson had to face that he would be shown on the sidelines everytime A$M was on TV.

Does anyone think Jank can attract a one and done when he has to tell him there are not enough quality players to practice and Jank couldn’t recruit a strong Post, shooting guard, power forward, etc. because he didn’t have enough scholarships?

Oh, and does anyone with a momentary lapse of SANITY think any decent coach would consider SMU after firing a coach that stepped in with severe scholarships reductions? What coach would come into a program that will ax a coach without even giving him a chance to have at least the same number of scholarship players as the competition?

Remember how well LSU was able to recruit a top 5 coaches after they’re handling of Les Miles? Oh, that’s right, the two top 5 coaches they offered turned them down. One even went to revolving door A$M. Screwing a coach has consequences.

There is a reason that the NCAA handed SMU such a severe penalty. We are seeing the results. Want to blame someone; maybe our hero, Larry Brown, has a tad to do with this situation

Oh, and since Jank stepped in with a known, KNOWN scholarship reduction, would he be considered an idiot if he didn’t include in his contract a guarantee for job security (i.e. a huge buy out) if fired before he can fully recruit? If he didn’t, he is stupid as is his agent and then, I would agree, he deserves to be fired for being too stupid to do the sensible thing.

For me, the determination of whether Jank is great, average or terrible has to wait till after he has had a chance to compete on a level playing ground.
ponyte

Postby mtrout » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:02 pm

There is no help on the way. Next year will be more of the same.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby SMUPhil » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:08 pm

Oh, and does anyone with a momentary lapse of SANITY think any decent coach would consider SMU after firing a coach that stepped in with severe scholarships reductions?

Did Jank really "step into" those reductions? Wasn't he the associate head coach when the infractions that brought those penalties went down?
Sent from my Motorola brick.
SMUPhil
All-American

Postby East Coast Mustang » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:06 pm

ponyte wrote:Yeah, lets fire a man without giving him a chance to compete on a level field. He has lacked scholarships. He has lacked talented players to practice. He has lacked enough players to often have a 5 on 5 practices.

Imagine if Ron Meyer, one of the best recruiter of all time in any sports, told Eric Dickerson that he didn't have enough scholarships to recruit enough offensive linemen? Think Dickerson would have turned down A$M? Think Dickerson would have though, ‘Hades, its not like I need offensive linemen to succeed.’ We all know if Dickerson had to face that he would be shown on the sidelines everytime A$M was on TV.

Does anyone think Jank can attract a one and done when he has to tell him there are not enough quality players to practice and Jank couldn’t recruit a strong Post, shooting guard, power forward, etc. because he didn’t have enough scholarships?

Oh, and does anyone with a momentary lapse of SANITY think any decent coach would consider SMU after firing a coach that stepped in with severe scholarships reductions? What coach would come into a program that will ax a coach without even giving him a chance to have at least the same number of scholarship players as the competition?

Remember how well LSU was able to recruit a top 5 coaches after they’re handling of Les Miles? Oh, that’s right, the two top 5 coaches they offered turned them down. One even went to revolving door A$M. Screwing a coach has consequences.

There is a reason that the NCAA handed SMU such a severe penalty. We are seeing the results. Want to blame someone; maybe our hero, Larry Brown, has a tad to do with this situation

Oh, and since Jank stepped in with a known, KNOWN scholarship reduction, would he be considered an idiot if he didn’t include in his contract a guarantee for job security (i.e. a huge buy out) if fired before he can fully recruit? If he didn’t, he is stupid as is his agent and then, I would agree, he deserves to be fired for being too stupid to do the sensible thing.

For me, the determination of whether Jank is great, average or terrible has to wait till after he has had a chance to compete on a level playing ground.

Man, I just have to strongly disagree with all of this.

Yes, we have scholarship limitations — 13 is the normal number; we can only have 11. But most every team in the country plays with rotations of 7, 8, or 9 guys — there’s no reason we should be this bad. Jank’s poor recruiting last cycle led us to taking two guys who have no business being on scholarship at a first-tier AAC program - which we should aspire to be. And look at our 2019 class of commits for next year — and then compare it to what the rest of our conference is doing. Jankovich is running this program into the ground and grossly depleting the talent level. Two extra scholarships wouldnt salvage this thing with Jank at the helm.

Your football analogy is ridiculous — if anything, I think our sanctions might help us in recruiting as guys would see an easier pathway to early playing time. There’s no offensive line to run behind in basketball. You can easily field a competitive basketball team with 11 scholarships — if you make an effort in recruiting. Jank hasn’t.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby sadderbudweiser » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:37 pm

ponyte wrote:Yeah, lets fire a man without giving him a chance to compete on a level field. He has lacked scholarships. He has lacked talented players to practice. He has lacked enough players to often have a 5 on 5 practices.

Man that’s some strong koolaid you’re drinking.

The guy has passed on at least a half dozen three and four star guys who WANTED TO COME in exchange for guys with no major offers. He thinks he can coach these guys up? Who has he coached up? Landrum? Douglas? Even Chaggy is marginal.... and a lousy defender. He could be a lot better with an LB as a coach.

How has he managed the past half dozen games? Miserably.

Go ahead, admit the guys are gassed at the end of games. It’s because he has no bench contributors (his recruits) and he rarely uses the timeouts he has.

And when was the last time he engaged the student body? Ummmm... never.

He’s coasting. And if you think things are bad today just wait until next year. Most likely ECU and Tulane pass us too.

We’re screwed and it not because of the probation.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby 78pony » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:51 pm

And another swing, and a huge, not even close, miss. He's out!
78pony
Heisman

Postby Puckhead48E » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:50 am

Straight up...one of the most myopic and tone deaf comments about this I've seen recently.

He created this. Yes, sanctions suck. You know what really kills you? Not recruiting and ignoring much greater talent that wants to attend because they don't fit your "throw three's from everywhere and don't play any defense " style.

He refuses to travel to recruit. He refuses to hold his players accountable on the court. He has no idea what he's doing in clutch times in the game.

Jank is not a head coach. His players have no attention to detail and accountability because he has none...everything is someone else's fault. Their success on the court is due to players individual work, not coordinated teamwork and set plays.

There is no defending him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby RI Stang » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:11 am

ponyte wrote:Oh, and does anyone with a momentary lapse of SANITY think any decent coach would consider SMU after firing a coach that stepped in with severe scholarships reductions? What coach would come into a program that will ax a coach without even giving him a chance to have at least the same number of scholarship players as the competition?

Not to pile on, but this is 100% incorrect
RI Stang
All-American

Postby PonyKai » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:13 am

This is the line Jank will feed you the day he's tossed out of Crum. All of it is bunk. He burned his own house down. He should have been fired last year because the future was crystal clear. Unfortunately, external perception militated against that. He absolutely needs to be let go five minutes after our first-round AAC exit.
PonyKai

Postby Pony ^ » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:05 am

I'm convinced if we had the #1 recruit coming in like Memphis does, we would still suck
Pony ^

Postby PonyPlayer4 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:01 am

Here is a list of additional benefits and resources Jank has that the previous coaches (who were more successful) did not have.

1. Incredible BBall only practice facility in Crum
2. A beautiful newly renovated Moody
3. He was handed a winning program with 4 NBA players with incredible momentum and buzz
4. Much bigger athletic budget and engaged donor base
5. Much better TV deal with improved visibility of TV games
6. Better academic support with fewer restrictions. Any player a coach wants that qualifies can get in to SMU.
7. Easier than prior to get JUCOs at SMU because of transfer of credits
8. Better basketball conference in the AAC providing more visibility
9. Ability to not win conference and still make the NCAA tournament
10. Complete control over the basketball schedule to fill with powderpuff teams (that still beat us)
11. Ability to charter to recruit players
12. Larger budget for assistant coaches

These are all benefits the previous coaches at SMU did NOT have that Jank has. He is still performing worse than all of them.

Again, if you want to get in to sanctions and scholarship reductions... the man has barely used any official visits to recruit players, and his last 2 scholarships went to a walkon and a kid with no offers. Again, Jank has used only 6 of 24 available official visits!!!

I'm sure the list goes on.
PonyPlayer4
Hall of Famer

Postby redpony » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:23 am

Ponyte is a good, loyal mustang but IMO his comments supporting Jank are totally wrong.

Can't wait until end of season to see if Miller et al will step up and do what needs to be done. It is obvious that tankovich has thrown in the towel and is just waiting to get his severance check.
Amazing that he didn't learn anything from LB regarding coaching, recruiting etc.
redpony

Next

Return to Basketball