PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

MBB vs. Wichita State game thread

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: MBB vs. Wichita State game thread

Postby Pony ^ » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:04 pm

Another game, another L.

Fire Hart.
Fire Jank.
Pony ^
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:23 pm

PlanoStang wrote:Rass Roles abound on this thread. :(

There was about 80% attendance to see the seniors off :!: Not sparse at all.

Jank started the all seniors at the from the tipoff, and gave them a 5 -7 point head start.

Then we went about 3 - 26 from 3 point land. I'm thinking they read this RAG of a fan board :!: :!:
Lost all self confidence.

I seriously doubt ANY player would lose confidence after reading a fan board. Losing confidence comes from getting whipped by teams that play better basketball than you do. This game was lost when Jimmy Whitt wasn't able to go and McMurray had to run the point. This game was not lost due to any lack of effort. You could see that our guys never quit. We just aren't as talented as the majority of our AAC conference mates.
Charleston Pony

Postby PlanoStang » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:31 pm

Sounds like you have never been on a team that likes it's coach. Getting your coach fired puts a
lot of pressure on you individually. When that pressure causes you to play badly, its a downward
spiral from there.
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:36 pm

PlanoStang wrote:Sounds like you have never been on a team that likes it's coach. Getting your coach fired puts a
lot of pressure on you individually. When that pressure causes you to play badly, its a downward
spiral from there.

Just the opposite. I played a lot harder for my coach that I respected. Guys quit on coaches they don't respect. This team's problem is not that they have quit or aren't giving their all (with the exception of that debacle at UCF). Jank just hasn't kept up recruiting at the level SMU was positioned to.
Charleston Pony

Postby PlanoStang » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:44 pm

With the doo doo that LB got us in with the NCorruptAA, how would you EVER think think that we
could keep up LB's level of recruiting :?: :?: :?:
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Mustangsabu » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:23 pm

Why do the narratives have to be so polarized?

It is not black and white.

For starters it’s colored green.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ObeyMyDog » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:36 pm

PlanoStang wrote:With the doo doo that LB got us in with the NCorruptAA, how would you EVER think think that we

How is it so difficult for people to comprehend that the scholarship reductions Jank has faced really do not mean much? The major problem is the complete recruiting ineptitude and lack of quality. It's really.pretty simple. I'm convinced that if you only gave Jank and this staff 1 scholarship player to go get a year, they would still bring is some scrub and declare victory due to that player's fit or some BS.
Usually, the team that scores the most points wins the game - John Madden
ObeyMyDog
Varsity

Postby SMUer » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:41 pm

All those all-state, all-americans we are having to apologize to for not having one more scholarship left...shame
SMUer

Postby PonyPride » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:18 pm

solomouse wrote:Report that Larry Brown was at the game and has been at a number of recent practices...any sightings?

Yes — saw him at the women's game Saturday and at the men's game Sunday.

Jarrey Foster TALKED ABOUT LARRY BROWN after the game.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride

Postby okcponyfan » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:34 am

solomouse wrote:Report that Larry Brown was at the game and has been at a number of recent practices...any sightings?

saw a picture of him on twitter sitting on the smu bench before the game.
okcponyfan
Varsity

Postby redpony » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:41 am

I suspect LB was there to honor the seniors that he brought in. If so that was a classy move on his part.
redpony

Postby JasonB » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:04 am

ObeyMyDog wrote:
PlanoStang wrote:With the doo doo that LB got us in with the NCorruptAA, how would you EVER think think that we

How is it so difficult for people to comprehend that the scholarship reductions Jank has faced really do not mean much? The major problem is the complete recruiting ineptitude and lack of quality. It's really.pretty simple. I'm convinced that if you only gave Jank and this staff 1 scholarship player to go get a year, they would still bring is some scrub and declare victory due to that player's fit or some BS.

That isn't completely true, and it leaves an opening to counter that shouldn't be there.

The restrictions on recruiting impacted both the scholarship number and our ability to get out and recruit. There were two recruiting classes that were severely impacted by those restrictions, and it was the reason for the short bench in 16-17 and 17-18.

The point that should be made is that we have had zero recruiting restrictions in the past two classes and the current class. And yet the classes continue to get worse in quality. The reason for our lack of depth now is that we aren't recruiting players that are ready to play early. If our classes were full of depth of players like Hunt, Moore, Foster (not big names, just good solid recruits), then we would have a situation where all of our scholarship guys are ready to play. Instead, we are spending scholarships on DITR (Ray, Landrum, White, Young) and Grad Transfer depth pieces (Dixon). That would be a fine philosophy if we had a set group of starters right now. But we don't.

My point is, don't fight a battle that sanctions had no impact, because they did. The battle should be fought on the fact that with the sanctions removed, things are getting worse instead of better.
JasonB

Postby ObeyMyDog » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:32 am

That's a fine argument - but it's still my opinion that you can't argue what impact sanctions really had. I will concede the depth component of it from a standpoint of raw # of schollies, but this staff has landed nobody regardless of whether sanctions were attached or not. It's pretty wild if you think about it. At the end of the day, we know you can win lots of games with 6-7 good players. This staff has actively screwed up getting multiple top 250 players in here who wanted to be here. It's just been a total disaster
Usually, the team that scores the most points wins the game - John Madden
ObeyMyDog
Varsity

Postby ponypatrick » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:08 pm

....................EASY , have a coach that gets off his [deleted] and works at recruiting !!
ponypatrick
Varsity

Postby SoCal_Pony » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:16 pm

JasonB wrote:Instead, we are spending scholarships on DITR (Ray, Landrum, White, Young) and Grad Transfer depth pieces (Dixon). That would be a fine philosophy if we had a set group of starters right now. But we don't.

Jason, this is where you lose me.

Maybe you take a flyer on Ray.

Landrum, White, Young and Dixon should never be part of the equation if your aspirations are to compete for AAC championships and NCAA tourneys.

Against Wichita St, White, Young & Dixon played 45 minutes and scored 1 point.

Landrum plays for Conners State College. Any guesses where White or Young end up?

jank is terrible in all aspects of recruiting.
SoCal_Pony

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball