PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Hart talks state of the program

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Hart talks state of the program

Postby skyscraper » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:30 pm

Hart sat in on the radio show for Jank and had some comments about the program. I'll let y'all decide if he's preparing us for another year of Jank or these are just generic comments.

https://www.facebook.com/SMUMustangs/vi ... 157171767/

On this season:
“Last season we were pretty poised to continue the championship pursuit, look to advance to a second straight tournament … weren’t able to do that.”
“This year, we never really got to see what our team could be this year.”
“While were not at all looking ahead or giving up on these two road games and the tournament next week, we’re looking forward to a time when we can put this behind us and get back to championship basketball.”
“I’ve not seen a stretch that I can remember in my career where we have competed with just about everyone on the schedule … and haven’t had any of them go our way.”
“There’s a big group of us, 7 or 8, can beat anyone else or lose to anyone else.”

On expectations for 19-20
“We have high expectations.”
“At no point in this process, whether it was the scholarships or the injuries, have we relented or accepted less than high standards.”
“We excited going forward because we’re going to get a lot of those opportunities back.”
“We’re very excited about next season. We don’t feel like this is a situation where we have to build it back up. We feel very optimistic and confident we can turn the page and play our brand of basketball next year.”
skyscraper
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Hart talks state of the program

Postby tristatecoog » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:43 pm

Staying. "we’re looking forward to a time when we can put this ['ship reductions, injuries and bad luck] behind us"
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyTime » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:52 pm

This does not sound promising to me. At all.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyTime » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:57 pm

tristatecoog wrote:Staying. "we’re looking forward to a time when we can put this ['ship reductions, injuries and bad luck] behind us"

Perhaps we will be rolling out an easier schedule next year - one that is more in line with our capabilities. I might suggest we get on the phone to schedule:

Chicago State
SIU Edwardsville
Incarnate Word
Bryant
Longwood
South Carolina Upstate
Marist
CSU Northridge
Elon

We would have a chance at a .500 record.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ObeyMyDog » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:11 pm

I dunno. He definitely goes out of way to not say Jank anywhere in there.... but it is Hart so who knows.
Usually, the team that scores the most points wins the game - John Madden
ObeyMyDog
Varsity

Postby JasonB » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:26 pm

The takeaways I had were that he was clear that the last two seasons did not meet expectations and he never mentioned Jank and next year.
JasonB

Postby Bergermeister » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:40 pm

Wishy-washy, token AD. Stay the course. Don't rock the boat. Hope for mediocrity. With leadership like that, I can't believe some P5 hasn't snagged him. :roll:
Bergermeister

Postby Arkpony » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:55 pm

He should have said "The direction of the program is not acceptable and we will shortly be making changes!"
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby Mustangsabu » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:02 pm

You could go either way interpreting what he said, though I felt the tone was more in line with keeping Jank.

Of course he probably doesn't want to show is hand because he won't make the decision on firing Jank. the $$ will.

Many of you will be more worried by the fact that the $$ has apparently not made up its mind.

What did really bother me was the dismissive approach to the last two games and the tournament. In one sentence he talks about how we wre in so many games and then basically says we are just going to show up for a game and go home.
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby TidePony » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:14 pm

Typical Hart
TidePony
Hall of Famer

Postby Junior » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:59 pm

At this point, I'm not sure Jank could win an intraisquad game. And not just because he wouldn't have enough players.
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:39 pm

ObeyMyDog wrote: definitely goes out of way to not say Jank anywhere in there.... but it is Hart so who knows.

it's not Hart's decision...he will do as he is told!

C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:45 pm

Mustangsabu wrote:What did really bother me was the dismissive approach to the last two games and the tournament. In one sentence he talks about how we wre in so many games and then basically says we are just going to show up for a game and go home.

With road games at USF and Houston, I think we all know that's probably going to be 2 lopsided losses and then we get either Tulsa (to pay us back for beating them at Moody) or USF (so they can complete the trifecta) so it is hard to get excited about the rest of this season. 13-18 here we come.
Charleston Pony

Postby FriscoPMG » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:41 pm

“At no point in this process, whether it was the scholarships or the injuries, have we relented or accepted less than high standards.”

I'd say that goes directly against the head coach's excuse-filled philosophy of "it's OK to be mediocre or straight up bad because we have too many obstacles to overcome."
FriscoPMG
All-American

Postby PonyKai » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:24 am

lmao at the idea Hart was going to go on a weekly radio show as the head of the Department and say anything other than "coach speak."
PonyKai

Next

Return to Basketball