PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

What could have been...

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

What could have been...

Postby Maryland78 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:21 am

Just read that Bruno Fernando was first team All Big 10 this year (sophomore)!

What could have been, if he had ended up at SMU?! Someone remind me how we lost that commitment? Bruno is a BEAST!
Maryland78
Junior Varsity

Re: What could have been...

Postby okcponyfan » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:49 am

Sedrick Barfield was also named 1st team pac12
okcponyfan
Varsity

Postby Gruffalo » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:27 am

Matt McQuaid would have been a nice 4yr addition back in the day as well. Career 40% 3pt shooter up at Mich St
Gruffalo

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:09 pm

What about freshman Isaac Likekele from Arlington who was very interested in SMU but Jank said no thanks? He started all 31 games for Okie St averaging 29 minutes, 9 points, 4 rebounds and 4 assists per game.

What about freshman Kyler Edwards who was a heavy SMU lean all last cycle until Jank basically ghosted him. He averaged 18 minutes and 6 points while shooting 40% from deep for the Big 12 champions.

What about freshman Jordan Lathon who desperately wanted to go to SMU but was told no? He started 27 games for UTEP averaging 33 minutes, 11 points while shooting 35% from deep and 5 assists.

And wait until next season when we start tracking Gordon, Thorpe, Disu, Archie, Caston and Sherman. Fun stuff.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Maryland78 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:46 pm

Feron was obviously a home run, but LA...is what you are saying that CJ White and Jahmar Young beat out the fellas you mentioned? Maybe Feron and Jahmar were a package deal? Anyway, this year's freshmen class has yet to play out.

But if we had gotten Bruno...WOW! I guess he just left for a better offer from Maryland?
Maryland78
Junior Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:49 pm

Gruffalo wrote:Matt McQuaid would have been a nice 4yr addition back in the day as well. Career 40% 3pt shooter up at Mich St

Recruited "over" with Shake Milton as I recall. I think it was McQuaid who backed off once Shake's commitment was announced.
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:50 pm

Maryland78 wrote:Just read that Bruno Fernando was first team All Big 10 this year (sophomore)!

What could have been, if he had ended up at SMU?! Someone remind me how we lost that commitment? Bruno is a BEAST!

I thought there were academic concerns at a time when Keith's issue was still in the spotlight?
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:52 pm

okcponyfan wrote:Sedrick Barfield was also named 1st team pac12

Thought the issue was not quite buying into Larry's philosophy of sharing the ball and playing good D?
Charleston Pony

Postby Shetland » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:18 pm

Bruno would not have qualified here. The year he was committed here he didn't play college ball. He went to prep school.
Shetland
Scout Team

Postby mavsrage311 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:18 am

Charleston Pony wrote:
Gruffalo wrote:Matt McQuaid would have been a nice 4yr addition back in the day as well. Career 40% 3pt shooter up at Mich St

Recruited "over" with Shake Milton as I recall. I think it was McQuaid who backed off once Shake's commitment was announced.

I think it was right after Emelogu announced he’s transferring here. This thread is sad.
Dallas Mavericks - 2011 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Long live the Circle of Champions!
mavsrage311
Heisman

Postby hoopmanx » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:40 am

Shetland wrote:Bruno would not have qualified here. The year he was committed here he didn't play college ball. He went to prep school.

False.

Simple, the Angolans are LBs, see Yannick and the kid under Inestigation who was slated for Maryland but ended up at Kansas. He's boys w their 'handler'. Once he left and realized jank is backstabbing sob, he took Bruno and gave him to Turge.

Bruno was never going to qualify w/o 'help'. Maryland gave it lol
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Mustangsabu » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:10 am

hoopmanx wrote:
Shetland wrote:Bruno would not have qualified here. The year he was committed here he didn't play college ball. He went to prep school.

False.

Simple, the Angolans are LBs, see Yannick and the kid under Inestigation who was slated for Maryland but ended up at Kansas. He's boys w their 'handler'. Once he left and realized jank is backstabbing sob, he took Bruno and gave him to Turge.

"backstabbing SOB" is a strong statement to throw out there. LB showed up to a game last week to watch the team. Care to elaborate on how Jank stabbed LB in the back?
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:13 am

LB might have shown up out of appreciation for "his" seniors more than anything else
Charleston Pony

Postby mustangxc » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:42 am

hoopmanx wrote:

False.

It seems like you contradicted yourself. If Bruno was never going to qualify without "help" then it is true he was not going to qualify here. I have no issue with backing off Bruno given the Keith Frazier fiasco. It would have been great to have him, but not at the expense of being a possible repeat offender.
mustangxc

Return to Basketball