PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Thank you PonyFans

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Thank you PonyFans

Postby LA_Mustang » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:13 pm

I knew this day was coming but i held a slight bit of hope otherwise. I love SMU and I love this program but I will not follow another year under Jank’s leadership. Anyone who follows the program closely knows exactly why, and you know how this will end. It still blows my mind how a school can destroy a top 25 program in less than three years, but it is what it is.

Thanks, and let’s go Sonny. #BasketballSchoolNoMore
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Thank you PonyFans

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:21 pm

Football school.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby blackoutpony » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:23 pm

In done. Anyone who still supports Jank is just as much of a loser as he is.
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby JasonB » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:20 pm

I'm certainly not going to go that far. I'll follow the program next year and root for them to win. But unless some miracle happens in recruiting I'm not going to renew my season tickets for next year.
JasonB

Postby Arkpony » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:30 pm

JasonB wrote:I'm certainly not going to go that far. I'll follow the program next year and root for them to win. But unless some miracle happens in recruiting I'm not going to renew my season tickets for next year.

Same here.
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:38 pm

At those prices... :roll:
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby mustangxc » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:58 pm

Funny how the administration is not citing our peers the last two seasons. If they did red seats would probably be $50 for the season.
mustangxc

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:08 pm

LA, I feel your pain.

The problem is we don’t have P5 money to correct our mistakes, we have a FB program that hemorrhages cash, and we are reliant on key alumni to fund us. That is a bad recipe for sustainability. Given how brief our BB success was, Hart made a tactical mistake in trying to milk it. That made matters worse.

I know I am in a minority here, but we are losing millions on FB for the amusement of ‘maybe’ 5,000 alumni, half of whom will die in the next 20 years. And what’s the payoff? Zero championships in over 30 years. If we miraculously did win one, we earn a ticket to Birmingham to play a 6-6 P5 team. Big Whoop. 50/50 chance we also lose our HC.

BB on the other hand gives us more exposure against elite schools such as USC and Michigan.

But FB will remain, our athletic budget will always lose money and our only valuable asset, our BB program, will suffer because of it.

Enjoy your Mavs, good news is they are now trending up.
SoCal_Pony

Postby JasonB » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:34 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:LA, I feel your pain.

The problem is we don’t have P5 money to correct our mistakes, we have a FB program that hemorrhages cash, and we are reliant on key alumni to fund us. That is a bad recipe for sustainability. Given how brief our BB success was, Hart made a tactical mistake in trying to milk it. That made matters worse.

I know I am in a minority here, but we are losing millions on FB for the amusement of ‘maybe’ 5,000 alumni, half of whom will die in the next 20 years. And what’s the payoff? Zero championships in over 30 years. If we miraculously did win one, we earn a ticket to Birmingham to play a 6-6 P5 team. Big Whoop. 50/50 chance we also lose our HC.

BB on the other hand gives us more exposure against elite schools such as USC and Michigan.

But FB will remain, our athletic budget will always lose money and our only valuable asset, our BB program, will suffer because of it.

Enjoy your Mavs, good news is they are now trending up.

- When we went to the first bowl game, the number of applicants to SMU skyrocketed.
- Several alumni who donate significantly to football also donate to SMU in other significant ways... take away football, and those other donations dry up.
- There might only be 10K in the stadium, but there are well over double that on the boulevard every week. How much additional exposure and revenue does that bring to the school?

Athletics are a marketing expense for any university, and you have to evaluate the overall impact of that marketing expense when you evaluate the ROI. Not investing properly in the athletic program for a 25 year period has cost the university millions in terms of alumni engagement from the folks who were students from 1989 - 2005.
JasonB

Postby Fresno Mustang » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:04 pm

Curious how many young alumni that had great potential to become future athletic supporters after the LB years become indifferent now that we slide into sub mediocre play

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SMU Class of 2014
Fresno Mustang
All-American

Postby PlanoStang » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:12 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:I knew this day was coming but i held a slight bit of hope otherwise. I love SMU and I love this program but I will not follow another year under Jank’s leadership. Anyone who follows the program closely knows exactly why, and you know how this will end. It still blows my mind how a school can destroy a top 25 program in less than three years, but it is what it is.

I think the NCorruptAA, LB, and a few injuries to key players in 18-19 had the major portion of the decline.
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Arkpony » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:01 pm

PlanoStang wrote:
LA_Mustang wrote:I knew this day was coming but i held a slight bit of hope otherwise. I love SMU and I love this program but I will not follow another year under Jank’s leadership. Anyone who follows the program closely knows exactly why, and you know how this will end. It still blows my mind how a school can destroy a top 25 program in less than three years, but it is what it is.

I think the NCorruptAA, LB, and a few injuries to key players in 18-19 had the major portion of the decline.

So you lay no blame on the coach?
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby ObeyMyDog » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:03 pm

Fresno Mustang wrote:Curious how many young alumni that had great potential to become future athletic supporters after the LB years become indifferent now that we slide into sub mediocre play

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot. They got priced out of Moody and told to run along. Worked out for them though - nobody cares anymore bc the direction of this thing is obvious. Come back later when it's on the upslope and hopefully cheaper.
Usually, the team that scores the most points wins the game - John Madden
ObeyMyDog
Varsity

Postby Junior » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:10 pm

I've already told the Mustang Club that I have no intention of renewing my basketball season tix due to the direction of the program, including the decision to retain the coach. Until a change is made, I'm out.
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Postby smupony94 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:17 pm

PlanoStang wrote:

Jank was on staff when that all went down...
smupony94

Next

Return to Basketball