PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Boulevard movement

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Boulevard movement

Postby skyscraper » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:59 pm

If the students actually showed up for games, I might be sympathetic to pleas to remain in front of Dallas Hall.
Let's try this for a year and see what happens.
Somehow every other student body in the U.S. tailgates on concrete or brick and manages to survive.
skyscraper
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:32 pm

smupony94 wrote:Being on concrete/brick will be dangerous in September

No question...with a lot less shade and on concrete they will have to roll out some kind of astro-turf and maybe add some canopy when it's in the 90's in September. I agree with Myrdel...not sure this will get students into games and at the same time may discourage the only game day activity the students see as being "cool" and that's the Blvd. I certainly don't have the answers, but in my opinion this is not a good move for helping students get involved on gamedays.

Last edited by Insane_Pony_Posse on Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby edwa » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:38 pm

all my friends say they would go if we were good, now they wont go to campus on gamedays at all.
edwa
Junior Varsity

Postby Pony ^ » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:03 pm

LOL to everyone thinking moving this closer to the stadium will actually result in students going to the games. That is incredibly idiotic.

It's so simple. Students don't go to the games because we have a rich 104 yr history of being absolutely terrible. Also, we play nobody. Even if UCF is in town, nobody gives a [deleted] about UCF. Hell, if Texas was in town, the student section would still be empty after halftime. Why? Because we suck 95% of the time. I don't blame the students for not going to a single game. It's not only the product but it's the experience. Ever been to a LSU game? Texas game? We are 1st grade BS compared to that experience. It's boring. We have grown [deleted] students running the team out of the tunnel. "Spirit Squad"...what the [deleted] is that???

Fire Hart. Guy is a [deleted] moron. He will now have ruined LITERALLY the best 2 things on SMU's campus in less than 2 years.

Rant over.
Pony ^

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:56 pm

Pony ^ wrote:LOL to everyone thinking moving this closer to the stadium will actually result in students going to the games. is incredibly idiotic

I agree....heck if they set up the students tailgate actually INSIDE the stadium I'm not sure they'd stay much past kickoff or halftime. An SMU football game is just not "cool" to them....I'm sure winning would help some...but they want "big time"...and I am afraid winning against North Texas, Arky State, Texas State, Temple just doesnt do it for them....especially after they get up on Saturday morning and watch College Gameday at some "bigtime" game.
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:02 pm

smupony94 wrote:
tristatecoog wrote:Why is the Mall far less attractive than the Dallas Hall lawn? Concrete vs lawn? Isn’t it closer to student housing?

Being on concrete/brick will be dangerous in September

Yeah. The coeds will need to wear more clothing to protect their skin too.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby ObeyMyDog » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:53 pm

If we were good - like if we were SMU basketball circa 2014 fun and buzzworthy - then absolutely have no issue with this. That tailgate space would be primo and you could do it right to have the kids pour right in to the stadium.

Now - sinse everything is the complete opposite of the above, this is classic SMU AD idiocy or will-bending to Admin. Pathetic

Nobody will be there, book it. At least the tailgate was a scene and certainly my generation (10-15 years removed) absolutely loved take a lap up there to check on things and make sure everyone was having fun. Now they'll probably try some utterly pathetic scheme where they think they can monetize that space with some stupid corral type experience. It isn't like they didn't make the Greeks pay good money for those spots also.

SMU is completely lost right now but for Sonny Dykes and his staff.
Usually, the team that scores the most points wins the game - John Madden
ObeyMyDog
Varsity

Postby ponypatrick » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:47 am

ObeyMyDog wrote:If we were good - like if we were SMU basketball circa 2014 fun and buzzworthy - then absolutely have no issue with this. That tailgate space would be primo and you could do it right to have the kids pour right in to the stadium.

Now - sinse everything is the complete opposite of the above, this is classic SMU AD idiocy or will-bending to Admin. Pathetic

Nobody will be there, book it. At least the tailgate was a scene and certainly my generation (10-15 years removed) absolutely loved take a lap up there to check on things and make sure everyone was having fun. Now they'll probably try some utterly pathetic scheme where they think they can monetize that space with some stupid corral type experience. It isn't like they didn't make the Greeks pay good money for those spots also.

Dead on D.D................SMU admin. has a striking resemblance to U.S. government......both totally incompetent !
ponypatrick
Varsity

Postby PonySnob » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:59 am

ponypatrick wrote:
ObeyMyDog wrote:If we were good - like if we were SMU basketball circa 2014 fun and buzzworthy - then absolutely have no issue with this. That tailgate space would be primo and you could do it right to have the kids pour right in to the stadium.

Dead on D.D................SMU admin. has a striking resemblance to U.S. government......both totally incompetent !

Drain the swamp!
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby mtrout » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:26 am

So how did the Monday meeting go? They gonna stand down?
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby smubrooks » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:24 am

Place the student tailgate inside the stadium. The open end by mockingbird seems perfect!!!!
Pony Up!
smubrooks
All-American

Postby 78pony » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:54 am

PonySnob wrote:Dr Ashley has always wanted to kill the boulevard - this will start the process.

FYI
I posted this on another board.

Evelyn L Ashley
Dean of Students ad interim at Southern Methodist University
Experience
Dr. Evelyn L. Ashley
Dean of Students ad interim
Associate Dean of Students
Director for Student Support, Advocacy, and Accountability
Ph: 214.768.4563
eashley@smu.edu
o TitleAssociate Dean of Students & Director of Student Support, Advocacy, and Accountablity
Dates Employed2018 – Present
Employment Duration1 yr
LocationDallas, Texas
o TitleDean of Students ad interim
Employment Duration1 yr
LocationDallas/Fort Worth Area
o TitleAssistant Dean of Student Life/Director of Student Conduct & Community Standards
Dates EmployedJul 2010 – Present
Employment Duration8 yrs 9 mos
Director of Student Conduct
Company Name
Baldwin-Wallace College
Dates Employed1999 – 2006
Employment Duration7 yrs
Education

Bowling Green State University
Degree NamePh.D
Field Of StudyHigher Education Administration
Dates attended or expected graduation2006 – 2010
78pony
Heisman

Postby mtrout » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:17 pm

Changes at SMU go about as well as the Boeing changing to the 737 MAX
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby PonySnob » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:47 pm

78pony wrote:
PonySnob wrote:Dr Ashley has always wanted to kill the boulevard - this will start the process.

FYI
I posted this on another board.

Evelyn L Ashley
Dean of Students ad interim at Southern Methodist University
Experience
Dr. Evelyn L. Ashley
Dean of Students ad interim
Associate Dean of Students
Director for Student Support, Advocacy, and Accountability
Ph: 214.768.4563
eashley@smu.edu
o TitleAssociate Dean of Students & Director of Student Support, Advocacy, and Accountablity
Employment Duration1 yr
LocationDallas, Texas
o TitleDean of Students ad interim
Employment Duration1 yr
LocationDallas/Fort Worth Area
o TitleAssistant Dean of Student Life/Director of Student Conduct & Community Standards
Dates EmployedJul 2010 – Present
Employment Duration8 yrs 9 mos
Director of Student Conduct
Company Name
Baldwin-Wallace College
Dates Employed1999 – 2006
Employment Duration7 yrs
Education

Bowling Green State University
Degree NamePh.D
Field Of StudyHigher Education Administration
Dates attended or expected graduation2006 – 2010

An interesting read:

The Gendered Nature of Student Affairs: Issues of Gender Equity in Student Affairs Professional Associations

[URL] https://etd.ohiolink.edu/pg_10?0::NO:10 ... 1288502916 /[URL]
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby SMU Pom Mom » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:59 pm

I think the best way to get students to the games is good old fashioned veiled threats. Reach out the the frats, show them surveillance pictures of hazing, and tell them it would be a good idea if they made their members go the games. Capiche?
SMU Pom Mom
All-American

PreviousNext

Return to Football