PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Jank is coming back and we’re screwed

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Jank is coming back and we’re screwed

Postby redpony » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:51 am

[quote="Charleston Pony" ]
Season ticket sales will undoubtedly be down and as others have commented, we might actually lose some of the 1500 because of the combination of the reseat pricing and poor product[/quote]

We need to boycott the bball program until changes are made. Obviously the school doesn't care about winning, the 'big bucks' supporters don't care, why should the former loyal fans and the local community care? Boycott boycott, boycott.
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mustangxc » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:24 am

I definitely think David Miller cares. He may not agree with you, but he definitely cares. For good or for bad, the argument for moving on from Jankovich is not as clear cut as we would like. There are definitely many valid reasons for our downturn the last two seasons that provide solid excuses to support Jankovich. Anyone paying attention knows that is bunk. Also, if you want to call out anyone put it on our ex-players that have openly supported him on Twitter. I’d like to know what Cannen Cunningham thinks of Jankovich given that his brother could come here and save the program and all indications are he would rather save our rival program. I’m pretty sure that despite what Jankovich’s players have said that if Nic Moore had a 5-star brother he wouldn’t even visit SMU.
mustangxc

Postby Pony ^ » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:43 am

mustangxc wrote:I definitely think David Miller cares. He may not agree with you, but he definitely cares. For good or for bad, the argument for moving on from Jankovich is not as clear cut as we would like. There are definitely many valid reasons for our downturn the last two seasons that provide solid excuses to support Jankovich. Anyone paying attention knows that is bunk. Also, if you want to call out anyone put it on our ex-players that have openly supported him on Twitter. I’d like to know what Cannen Cunningham thinks of Jankovich given that his brother could come here and save the program and all indications are he would rather save our rival program. I’m pretty sure that despite what Jankovich’s players have said that if Nic Moore had a 5-star brother he wouldn’t even visit SMU.

Cannen Cunningham's brother Cade doesn't even have an SMU offer, but has one to Kansas. This alone is a fireable offense. A 5 star recruit in Arlington with SMU ties and nobody is doing [deleted]. Fire Jank.

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/df ... 30599.html

Dallas area schools won 3 or 4 state titles this year...there is talent everywhere but Jank would rather offer walk-ons.
Pony ^

Postby Arkpony » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:42 am

Unbelievable! And we Yank on into oblivion.
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby TidePony » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:27 am

Avery Johnson canned at Bama - Avery’s available...hmmmmmmmm
TidePony
Hall of Famer

Postby sadderbudweiser » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:58 am

TidePony wrote:Avery Johnson canned at Bama - Avery’s available...hmmmmmmmm

Why did they fire him? i know they got worked pretty badly in a VERY TOUGH SEC this year. Does bama expect better?
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby sadderbudweiser » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:06 am

Pony ^ wrote:
mustangxc wrote:I definitely think David Miller cares. He may not agree with you, but he definitely cares. For good or for bad, the argument for moving on from Jankovich is not as clear cut as we would like. There are definitely many valid reasons for our downturn the last two seasons that provide solid excuses to support Jankovich. Anyone paying attention knows that is bunk. Also, if you want to call out anyone put it on our ex-players that have openly supported him on Twitter. I’d like to know what Cannen Cunningham thinks of Jankovich given that his brother could come here and save the program and all indications are he would rather save our rival program. I’m pretty sure that despite what Jankovich’s players have said that if Nic Moore had a 5-star brother he wouldn’t even visit SMU.

Cannen Cunningham's brother Cade doesn't even have an SMU offer, but has one to Kansas. This alone is a fireable offense. A 5 star recruit in Arlington with SMU ties and nobody is doing [deleted]. Fire Jank.

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/df ... 30599.html

Dallas area schools won 3 or 4 state titles this year...there is talent everywhere but Jank would rather offer walk-ons.

Cannen is one of my all-time favorites. He caught alot of flack from many here simply because his demeanor was so mellow. Jank would be smart to bring him in right now. He’s obviously well connected. I really think Jank shies away from bringing in former Mustangs due to his insecurities. Cannen could survive a Jank firing and thrive here. I would hope Miller would insist on bringing him in.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby No Quarter » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:07 am

There is a prevailing theme on this board that we have to hire a name coach who will have an immediate impact. Some push for Rick Pitino who is probably unacceptable to the university and never mind who springs for his salary - I suspect any talk about him is so much wasted breath.

I wonder, has anyone thought about Ron Hunter at Georgia State in Atlanta?

Yes, he's a Sun Belt Coach. Yes he might be hard to pry away from Atlanta. But his GSU teams have been to the dance repeatedly and play Houston tonight. Probably Hunter gets a chance at a bigger program sooner or later.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Hunter
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby mustangxc » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:21 am

Heck, if we manage to land some top notch assistants and Jankovich allows them to do their thing on the recruiting trail, I think many would be more amenable to Jankovich sticking around.
mustangxc

Postby mtrout » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:58 am

Jank not being in talks with Cunningham is absolutely absurd. First he complains he doesn't like to spend money on private jet flights to recruit... but you have a dude's brother who is amazing 40minutes away and you are not even involved.

You can't make this up. I don't get it.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby ponypatrick » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:00 am

mustangxc wrote:Heck, if we manage to land some top notch assistants and Jankovich allows them to do their thing on the recruiting trail, I think many would be more amenable to Jankovich sticking around.

NOT ME !!! Jank seems like a nice guy , but he is just like that deer in my headlights a few years ago
right before he met his maker.
ponypatrick
Varsity

Postby TidePony » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:39 am

sadderbudweiser wrote:
TidePony wrote:Avery Johnson canned at Bama - Avery’s available...hmmmmmmmm

Why did they fire him? i know they got worked pretty badly in a VERY TOUGH SEC this year. Does bama expect better?

I’m not so sure they were fed up with Avery as much as they couldn’t handle the success of Tennessee and Auburn. And, the (only) 800 people (dropping attendance all year) that showed up for the NIT game and loss finished him off.

It’s crazy, especially when you look at SMUs Head Coach who should of been fired after our Conference tournament.

Avery is a really good coach.
TidePony
Hall of Famer

Postby Bergermeister » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:18 am

I think with Avery you also get Cannen. We'd be off and running on the recruiting trail. At this point in time this would be an ideal situation. Can't go another season like we just finished.
Bergermeister

Postby redpony » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:30 am

Bergermeister wrote:I think with Avery you also get Cannen. We'd be off and running on the recruiting trail. At this point in time this would be an ideal situation. Can't go another season like we just finished.

Hell Berg, unless the 'big bucks boys' change we may be stuck with tankovich for two years. In which case we may as well drop down to D3 or shut down our sports programs.
redpony

Postby ponyboy » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:36 am

Those big bucks boys are the reason we got the new Moody, chief. And therefore the raison d’etre you have anything to whine about on this subject.
ponyboy

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball