PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Jank is coming back and we’re screwed

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Jank is coming back and we’re screwed

Postby redpony » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:56 am

ponyboy wrote:Those big bucks boys are the reason we got the new Moody, chief. And therefore the raison d’etre you have anything to whine about on this subject.

Understand. However, the job is only half finished. What good is a nice arena when you have a toilet bowl quality coach who refuses to recruit and can't coach on top of it. I would rather have a top 15 team and an arena like Tulane's if we had to make a choice between winning or having a nice place to play. Kind of like having a Bentley with a Yugo engine and interior.
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mrydel » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:59 am

They will accept money from anyone
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Mustangsabu » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:20 pm

redpony wrote:
Bergermeister wrote:I think with Avery you also get Cannen. We'd be off and running on the recruiting trail. At this point in time this would be an ideal situation. Can't go another season like we just finished.

Hell Berg, unless the 'big bucks boys' change we may be stuck with tankovich for two years. In which case we may as well drop down to D3 or shut down our sports programs.

I am interested in why we think that other boosters should be obligated to spend more money when the reaction of the fan base is to stop spending theirs.

It is not anyone’s responsibility but SMU to pay for the athletics department. This whole situation is a hot mess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Mustangsabu » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:44 pm

redpony wrote:
ponyboy wrote:Those big bucks boys are the reason we got the new Moody, chief. And therefore the raison d’etre you have anything to whine about on this subject.

Understand. However, the job is only half finished. What good is a nice arena when you have a toilet bowl quality coach who refuses to recruit and can't coach on top of it. I would rather have a top 15 team and an arena like Tulane's if we had to make a choice between winning or having a nice place to play. Kind of like having a Bentley with a Yugo engine and interior.

I agree with redpony here and I think it’s part of the terrible job Hart has done. They spent all this money on the facilities and jacked up the cost to attend without building the program first.

Q

Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PK » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:12 pm

Mustangsabu wrote:
redpony wrote:

I agree with redpony here and I think it’s part of the terrible job Hart has done. They spent all this money on the facilities and jacked up the cost to attend without building the program first.

Q

The old chicken or egg question. Great players or great facilities? Will the great players come if you don't have the great facilities and even more so a great coach?
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby mustangxc » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:38 pm

“If you build it, they will come.”
mustangxc

Postby Mustangsabu » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:39 pm

But they have now left themselves saddled with debt and they didn’t come for long

Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyboy » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:20 pm

It will be fixed. The facilities are just too nice, the program potential just too strong, and the memory of competing at the highest level of college basketball too recent for it to be otherwise. Short of some recruiting or transfer miracle under Jank, though, I guess we’ll just have to wait a little longer.
ponyboy

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:35 pm

ponyboy wrote:It will be fixed. The facilities are just too nice, the program potential just too strong, and the memory of competing at the highest level of college basketball too recent for it to be otherwise. Short of some recruiting or transfer miracle under Jank, though, I guess we’ll just have to wait a little longer.

Disagree. We are an after thought. The only reason you probably think this was ESPN insuring itself from possible blowouts and dull games with the same bingo night excuses from Tankovich. If we want to be a memorable program, we have to go to the dance consecutive times, call it three, and win at least two games in the tourney each season. Now the face of AAC: Houston, Cincy and maybe still WSU.

As it stands, next season is cancelled and we will just have to wait for the season after to see which direction we are going: mediocrity or red dead redemption.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyboy » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:52 pm

I’m not sure how my post disagrees with anything you just posted.
ponyboy

Postby redpony » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:59 pm

Now that Avery J. is free and bama has to pay out his contract maybe we could do like we did with SD and pay him a small amount to start. Then we could use some of the other money to get rid of that cancer we have as our current 'do nothing, no recruiting' coach. Just an idea.
redpony

Postby smupony94 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:51 pm

redpony wrote:Now that Avery J. is free and bama has to pay out his contract maybe we could do like we did with SD and pay him a small amount to start. Then we could use some of the other money to get rid of that cancer we have as our current 'do nothing, no recruiting' coach. Just an idea.

Avery paid players at Bama and still sucked
smupony94

Previous

Return to Basketball