PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

A Ponyfans Contest

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

A Ponyfans Contest

Postby Mustangsabu » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:09 am

Today I guess I am in one of those moods. I read a lot of people whining about Jank, and I'm not judging them for it (except when they whine about his whining) but I have devised what I think is a really fun game for the die-hard Ponyfan.

July 8, 2016 SMU announced the Jank was taking over from LB, what I would like to know is when and who were the first voices in dissent about the suitability of Jank? Feel free to link to the thread where you said this was a bad idea.

Who was the first voice in the wilderness that Jank was the wrong man for the job?

Let the games commence.
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: A Ponyfans Contest

Postby SMU Section F » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:50 am

I remember a number of people saying the whole "coach-in-waiting" thing was a mistake from the beginning and anticipating that SMU would cut him lose whenever Larry decided to leave, in favor of a higher profile option.

On the other hand, I was one of those that thought he could do a good job here.

Not sure which group of us was more misguided in our optimism.

That said, Jankovich isn't alone in bringing SMU basketball crashing back to earth. The SMU administration and athletic department has seemingly made the wrong decision at every turn since the beginning of the Keith Frazier saga - up to and including keeping Jankovich around.

I think the school knows they got lucky w/ Larry's success and decided to try and milk it while it lasted rather than build anything meaningful. After all, that's the easier route and nobody except the coaches will ever get held accountable anyway. At least Jankovich will be fired eventually.
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby WorldStang » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:00 pm

I said it was the best of times.. and it was the worst of times.. :?

Man.. that sounds familiar
What we obtain too cheap.. we esteem too lightly. It is persistence alone that gives everything its value.
WorldStang
All-American

Postby bubba pony » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:27 pm

my memory recalls the administration expected LB to quit after a few years, which he always does. they lured Jank from his job at Illinois State, which he didn't want to leave, with something like $800,000. the highest salary to an assistant at the time. (or something like that). therefore I suspected it was a proactive move by the SMU administration. I thought they were really setting up SMU for long term success.
I never posted this, but it was my reasoning.
bubba pony
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:53 pm

I guess we'd have to look back at everyone's posts during the '16-'17 season when Jank took over and went 30-5 with a short roster of pretty high caliber guys to see whether anyone was expressing concern in that time frame. There were the Aussie busts in recruiting so some early warnings were there but I don't remember any serious complaints when the media declared Jank the "Mad Scientist" for his "positionless" play that season.

Maybe some grumblings began with that year's recruiting class of Landrum, Ray, Douglas and taking Mike as a transfer but I think most people thought that class would turn out O.K. because nobody predicted Ray's injuries and several (including me) thought Douglas had potential to play at this level. I think everyone expected Mike to be the player he was this year and there were several who had much higher expectations of him.

After the '17-'18 season and barely breaking .500 together with a recruiting class with only Hunt to get excited about, there were plenty predicting doom and gloom.
Last edited by Charleston Pony on Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyTime » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:42 pm

I'll play:

November of 2016 following the losses to Boise and USC on the road:

East Coast Mustang:

-As for Jank, I'm not going to judge a coach 7 games in but that wasnt exactly the start we were hoping for. Offensively we're a wreck for long stretches at a time. Turnovers off in bounds play, shoddy defense, and too much Emelogu on the court

But ECM also predicted that Shake and Semi would be playing in Europe in that thread. So I will go with:

Official Melt Down Thread - Jan 7th 2018:

sacklunch:

We have clearly not been ready for any road game this year and that is on Jank. We don’t have the athletes to just skate through games anymore. Nick Moore, Sterling Brown, etc... aren’t here to takeover games when we are sluggish.

Jank is fine at scheming before games and when it works and everything goes his way - then we win. If Jank’s game plan doesn’t work then we are screwed. I see virtually no adjustments mid game or any sort of enthusiasm from the side line to try and get things turned around.

November of 2017 following Western Kentucky loss in the OFFICIAL: BATTLE FOR ATLANTIS GAME THREADS is also a great read if you are looking for analysis of Janks coaching with 1:17 to go and a 4 point lead.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyTime » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:59 pm

Upon further review, I revoke above nomination and would like to hand the award to:

Lollaperuna:

For his contributions to the November 2016 thread titled "2016 Recruiting Class...what could have been":

"We traded a Hall of Fame coach for a NIT coach. It is what it is."

and

"A team that doesn't have a clue is what is all on Jank."

http://www.ponyfans.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=83178

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:46 pm

Nice research work by PonyTime
Charleston Pony

Postby JasonB » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:54 pm

That year was interesting. It took forever to adjust the style of play and start leveraging a little pick and roll.

The main thing I take from a lot of threads is that Jank and LB both hesitated to trust KT's evaluation and that dude seems to be spot on.
JasonB

Postby Mustangsabu » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:53 am

https://gocreighton.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5222

This thread makes for interesting reading.
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

A Ponyfans Contest

Postby sacklunch » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:34 pm

I’m honored to be featured here a few posts up. I first starting hating Jank after the loss to USC in the first round of the NCAA tournament.

See my post thread here from 3/17/17 after our loss to USC in the tournament: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=84043

That was the worst coached game I’ve ever seen. Truly showed that Jank couldn’t make good adjustments on defense or draw up/call a good play when we needed a spark on offense. He just stood there with his arms folded watching the game....

We were down one basket with the ball and under 10 seconds left. He doesn’t call time out and our offense is clearly lost and we chuck up a heavily contested shot....God forbid we draw up a play to get a good look for one of our three NBA players.

I remember arguing with my friends the entire walk to the bar about how Jank [deleted] up that game. They disagreed and thought I was overly critical. I actually had one apologize to me the other week about how he felt bad and that I was right :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sacklunch
Varsity

Postby sadderbudweiser » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:47 am

Mustangsabu wrote:https://gocreighton.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5222

LOL.... the Pringles doesn’t fall far from the can.....

https://gocreighton.com/news/2019/4/1/m ... areer.aspx
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby PonyTime » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:50 am

sadderbudweiser wrote:
Mustangsabu wrote:https://gocreighton.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5222

LOL.... the Pringles doesn’t fall far from the can.....

https://gocreighton.com/news/2019/4/1/m ... areer.aspx

The Froling Brothers have to be the most over-rated group of Aussie brothers since INXS.

And I actually liked INXS.

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby MustangStealth » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:14 pm

I said from day 1 that both Tubbs and Doherty were bad hires. Do I win anything?
MustangStealth
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Mustangsabu » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:45 pm

MustangStealth wrote:I said from day 1 that both Tubbs and Doherty were bad hires. Do I win anything?

That's gotta be good for at least a beer.
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Next

Return to Basketball