PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

2019 Recruiting

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: 2019 Recruiting

Postby One Trick Pony » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:46 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:
One Trick Pony wrote:Yo East - Money doesn't solve everything . Not cancer, ugly or stupidity .

Well Jank is a stupid cancer on our athletic department, and money would solve that.
Didn't I meet you at the duck hotel In Memphis ?

Yeah nothing's gonna happen unless somebody writes a check and people are tired of writing checks I guess
One Trick Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Mustangsabu » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:06 pm

Mustangsabu wrote:
East Coast Mustang wrote:Yeah, who cares about being good at basketball? And why should we expect any effort whatsoever from a coach we pay almost $2 million per year? Let’s go back to sucking and having no one in the stands and being completely irrelevant. What a pathetic, loser mentality some of you have.

None of that post makes any sense. Fire Jank is not a plan. There is no guarantee it makes the program better, and it is probably not an option becasue of the $$, so we are stuck with JAnk for good or bad.

You are just making sure its worse.

The loser mentality is thinking $$ just solves everything. What is needed is leadership, faith, and people pulling together.

Telling other people to take out their checkbooks for your own gratification is what is pathetic.

Money does solve everything. Like when we poured $40M into the Moody renovation and then gave Larry Brown a big contract and finally started winning. Unfortunately, we also made loser Jankovich the HC in waiting (and made him the highest paid asst in the nation at the time) even though he’d never done much as a HC at North Texas or Illinois State.

Now we’re stuck with a loser coach who cant recruit and has zero energy or enthusiasm for the program. Virtually everyone agrees we’d be better off kicking him to the curb, but alas we’re stuck with for at least another season, because we’re SMU and we’re stupid. For what we’re paying Jank we could have a great head coach who actually cares about this program and wants to win. It’s pathetic that we finally saw the potential this program has with top ten teams, conference championships, and an unreal home court environment and are content to litertally throw it all away.

But you’ll get your wish...we’ll be back to losing a ton of games with no one inside Moody next season...enjoy!

Who were we sure to get if we canned Jank? I just love the assumption that whoever we pay $2 million a year to is automatically going to be a magnet for top tier kids and have the Xs and Os to back it up. We have had one coach in 25 years who could recruit and coach, and since we started showering the program with $$ we are hitting on 50% and that coach got us banned.

Apparently no one can stop the rampant Jank insults, but for pity's sake could we address the fact that not one of you clowns actually has a solution to hand.

Fire Jank. Then what?
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangxc » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:38 pm

Just sign Tajzmel Sherman and bring back Whitt and I’ll be happy for several months.
mustangxc

Postby East Coast Mustang » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:21 pm

Mustangsabu wrote:Who were we sure to get if we canned Jank? I just love the assumption that whoever we pay $2 million a year to is automatically going to be a magnet for top tier kids and have the Xs and Os to back it up. We have had one coach in 25 years who could recruit and coach, and since we started showering the program with $$ we are hitting on 50% and that coach got us banned.

Apparently no one can stop the rampant Jank insults, but for pity's sake could we address the fact that not one of you clowns actually has a solution to hand.

Fire Jank. Then what?

Look at our recruiting and coaching....do you think we’re getting a good ROI with Jank? Are you happy with the results? If so send me a PM, I’d love to setup a business deal with you.

Arkansas just signed Musselman for about what we were paying Larry ($2.5)

Other guys we could’ve made a run at this cycle would include Nate Oats (making about $2.2 at Bama) and Ryan Odom (turned down VT, still at UMBC).

In terms of guys still available, Chris Jans at NMSU, Casey Alexander at Lipscomb and Steve Forbes at East Tennessee all combined between the three of them probably make about as much as what we pay Jank. Craig Smith at Utah State, Wes Miller at NC Greensboro and Earl Grant at College of Charleston also come to mind just off the top of my head. Hell, even a retread like Avery Johnson or Scott Cross would at least show some passion and enthusiasm for the program, which would be a refreshing change from the status quo.

Frankly, virtually anyone would be better than the self-imposed Janktion. Again, he puts Z-E-R-O effort into recruiting and is uninmpressive as an in-game coach. I’ll say he’s decent at game planning for an opponent but it’s hard for me off the top of my head to think of very many games recently where he’s made sound halftime adjustments and delivered a win in the second half against a quality opponent. And all the defensive intensity, rebounding prowess, and unselfish offensive efficiency under Larry....that’s all gone now. Why is anyone vouching for this guy? He sucks, he doesn’t care about his job, and he whines and makes excuses at every turn instead of making the effort necessary to get results.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby Shetland » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:34 pm

His team's have played hard for him. Most teams quit when they feel out matched or when nothing to play for. He has two year when they had every excuse to quit. I know becuase thats all you hear about in his press conferences.
Shetland
Scout Team

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:39 am

Shetland wrote:His team's have played hard for him. Most teams quit when they feel out matched or when nothing to play for. He has two year when they had every excuse to quit. I know becuase thats all you hear about in his press conferences.

To be fair, if you watched all of our games this season, his team (other than the game at UCF) did not quit on him. Our guys weren't losing for lack of effort.
Charleston Pony

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:22 am

To Jank’s in-game coaching, we were involved in eight games last season decided by 6 points or less. We went 2-6 in those games, with one of those wins coming over a Wright State team we had no business even being in a close game with
East Coast Mustang

Postby ponyboy » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:25 pm

And he hates babies and cotton candy.
ponyboy

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:59 pm

ponyboy wrote:And he hates babies and cotton candy.

Give me a break. You and abu are in here clutching your pearls about how we’re being mean and bullying poor little Timmy Tankovich....well I’ve provided multiple facts as to why (recruiting, in-game coaching, etc) as well as listed out a number of plausible alternatives above.

This guy sucks, and he’s ruining the program. For what we’re paying him (probably a lot less, actually) we could get someone with a pulse. The absolute worst thing that could happen next year is probably the absolute best case scenario record-wise: we back into the NIT with a 18-14 record or something and Jank is back in 2020-21 to complete his rendition of Sherman’s March to the Sea on our basketball program.
East Coast Mustang

Postby ponyboy » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:02 pm

You mentioned that.
ponyboy

Postby Mustangsabu » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:35 pm

Give me a break. You and abu are in here clutching your pearls about how we’re being mean and bullying poor little Timmy Tankovich....well I’ve provided multiple facts as to why (recruiting, in-game coaching, etc) as well as listed out a number of plausible alternatives above.

This guy sucks, and he’s ruining the program. For what we’re paying him (probably a lot less, actually) we could get someone with a pulse. The absolute worst thing that could happen next year is probably the absolute best case scenario record-wise: we back into the NIT with a 18-14 record or something and Jank is back in 2020-21 to complete his rendition of Sherman’s March to the Sea on our basketball program.

Tim Jankovich can look after himself and I can be fairly sure he doesn’t give two pennies for what you or any of us have to say about him. You’re not bullying anyone but you are spinning a tired yarn devoid of any facts at all.

Larry Brown is the only coach in 25 years who has been able to recruit top players to SMU and produce the result we saw for a couple of years. And he cheated and he got caught.

You keep saying that we could have all these great coaches for what we pay Jank but that is conjecture and it flies in the face of history.

And then there is the fact that you are hell bent on spending other people’s money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyTime » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:22 am

Mustangsabu wrote:
And then there is the fact that you are hell bent on spending other people’s money.

While I'm not certain, I am pretty certain that ECM is not part of the Bernie revolution. Now the 9-9-9 plan - that's a different story.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyLawExpress » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:05 pm

Jolly highlights JuCo basketball tourney:

https://twitter.com/OvoTman/status/1116072736181215232
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby ObeyMyDog » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:59 pm

Mustangsabu wrote:

Tim Jankovich can look after himself and I can be fairly sure he doesn’t give two pennies for what you or any of us have to say about him. You’re not bullying anyone but you are spinning a tired yarn devoid of any facts at all.

Larry Brown is the only coach in 25 years who has been able to recruit top players to SMU and produce the result we saw for a couple of years. And he cheated and he got caught.

You keep saying that we could have all these great coaches for what we pay Jank but that is conjecture and it flies in the face of history.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoy your tired team spun of weak recruit yarn. Give it a rest. I hope you have some relation to Jank so you defend him like this, because this is borderline delusional.

Larry Brown cheated! Gasp! Zion Williams is currently being outed for being paid by Nike and directed to Duke. UNC set up a flat out fake school with fake classes for players. Kansas has been all over the pay to funnel players to schools scam. They get tough and win and move on. We crumble in the corner like cowards and we hardly did anything.

Stop watching men's college basketball entirely if you truly care about cheating/getting caught at all. You won't.
Usually, the team that scores the most points wins the game - John Madden
ObeyMyDog
Varsity

Postby redpony » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:06 pm

SMU gave up years ago when a group of supporters offered to pay over 1m in legal fees to defend our school against the corrupt ncaa and the school told them to shove their money where the sun doesn't shine. since then we have been nothing but pawns for the ncaa to penalize because we never have the cajones to stand up to them. RGT is a cave-in artist. nothing will change until he is gone.
redpony

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball