PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU Lacrosse 2019 Conference Tournament

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SMU Lacrosse 2019 Conference Tournament

Postby stc9 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:59 am

SMU has secured the #1 seed for the North Division of the LSA. They will open their playoff run on April 14th @ 3pm against Texas St. The game will be played at SMU, I assume it will be played on the lacrosse field, but don’t know for sure.

The following weekend (4/27 & 4/28) SMU will host the final four for both Division I & II

http://mcla.us/news/2019/04/a-m-smu-leads-lsa-i-bracket
Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall
stc9
Heisman

Re: SMU Lacrosse 2019 Conference Tournament

Postby Water Pony » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:20 am

stc9 wrote:SMU has secured the #1 seed for the North Division of the LSA. They will open their playoff run on April 14th @ 3pm against Texas St. The game will be played at SMU, I assume it will be played on the lacrosse field, but don’t know for sure.

The following weekend (4/27 & 4/28) SMU will host the final four for both Division I & II

http://mcla.us/news/2019/04/a-m-smu-leads-lsa-i-bracket

With SMU hosting the Lone Star Alliance Conference Championship, we are an epic center for Texas Lacrosse with our beautiful field.

Good luck, Ponies!
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby gostangs » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:06 am

We Beat TX state. Playing UT at home on 27th. Come support the mustangs and also see why this is the sport we should take to D-1 immediately. It fits us like a glove.
gostangs

Postby Water Pony » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:56 am

gostangs wrote:We Beat TX state. Playing UT at home on 27th. Come support the mustangs and also see why this is the sport we should take to D-1 immediately. It fits us like a glove.

I agree that it would be fantastic for us to make lacrosse a varsity, D-1 sport. This sport does suit SMU and our student body. Lacrosse is a great spectator sport and we can recruit both scholarship and non-scholarship (highly desirable) student-athletes.

However, I don't expect we will create another men's sport. Remember, we would need to add another women's sport, as well. Economics will limit this goal.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby SMUPhil » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:20 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_Division_I_lacrosse_programs

Would this really be the goal though? Not a single other D1 school in Texas, and the only ones west of the Mississippi (if I'm reading the list correctly) are University of Utah, U of Denver, and the Air Force Academy. A single school each in Florida (Jacksonville University) and Georgia (Mercer). All the other schools are in the mid-Atlantic, northeast, or midwest.

Is this preferred over a club-level sport where the athletes can compete against some more traditional and regional opponents?
Sent from my Motorola brick.
SMUPhil
All-American

Return to Around the Hilltop