PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

OT: UCF QB McKenzie Milton: 'I got hurt for a reason'

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

OT: UCF QB McKenzie Milton: 'I got hurt for a reason'

Postby PonyPride » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:49 pm

From ESPN.com:

UCF QB McKenzie Milton's journey, in his own words: 'I got hurt for a reason'

By McKenzie Milton

McKenzie Milton led UCF into last year's regular-season finale against USF the Friday after Thanksgiving on a 23-game winning streak, hoping to close out another undefeated season and clinch a second straight New Year's Six Bowl. But a devastating injury to his right leg in the second quarter changed everything for Milton. The quarterback, called "KZ" by friends, details the journey to recovery and what happens next, as told to ESPN's Andrea Adelson.

It's weird, thinking about it now. Before the game even started, I felt unsettled. During the game, too. I don't know why. I never have butterflies. I almost threw up on the sideline, and I've never done that. I even told DJ [Milton's backup, Darriel Mack Jr.], "Bro, I feel like throwing up."

We got off to a slow start and led 7-0 in the second quarter. It was third-and-7. We looked to the sideline to check for a play called Sling Push. After the D-end clamped, the corner, Mazzi Wilkins, peeled off and kind of caught me off guard; he dove for my leg, and his helmet went straight onto my knee. The next thing I know, my leg was just kind of dangling there.

I took one look at it for a split second, and I put my head back down, thinking, "Wow, this doesn't really feel real." I knew it was bad, but I didn't really feel too much pain, I guess from the adrenaline and shock. It happened right next to the USF sideline, and next thing I know, the USF trainer was out there, and coach Charlie Strong was out there, asking me, "KZ, how are you doing? How are you doing?" I said, "Coach, I'm not doing that great," and then Mary Vander Heiden, our head athletic trainer, was over me, and I feel Dr. [Kenneth] Krumins, our team physician at the time, tugging on my knee. I felt him put it back into place.

John Evans, our team chaplain, was praying over me, and both sidelines were clear. Coach Strong kept asking, "How you doing, KZ?" I kept telling him, "Coach, I don't know. My leg hurts." I started feeling the pain. I felt it throbbing. They took off my shoe, cut my tape, and they were feeling for a pulse down in my leg, and I wasn't really sure why.

To read this article in its entirety, CLICK HERE.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: OT: UCF QB McKenzie Milton: 'I got hurt for a reason'

Postby One Trick Pony » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:22 am

What a journey...
One Trick Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:53 am

Would not bet against him playing again in 2020, but can't imagine him returning to the level he played at before this injury. Pretty determined guy. Could definitely see him on the sidelines as a coach some day. Will be following his story and certainly pulling for him.
Charleston Pony

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:57 am

Incredible story.
ALEX LIFESON

Postby One Trick Pony » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:00 am

there are other things in life
One Trick Pony