PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU Lands 4-Star Safety X-fer

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: SMU Lands 4-Star Safety X-fer

Postby horsemanx » Thu May 16, 2019 5:01 pm

One Trick Pony wrote: I'll be visiting the June Jones memorial on the big island in the next few weeks I will update the video.

Don't wear socks
An object at rest cannot be stopped!
horsemanx
All-American

Postby One Trick Pony » Thu May 16, 2019 5:47 pm

horsemanx wrote:
One Trick Pony wrote: I'll be visiting the June Jones memorial on the big island in the next few weeks I will update the video.

Don't wear socks
Ok
One Trick Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby smupony94 » Thu May 16, 2019 6:39 pm

One Trick Pony wrote:You know that aint never gonna happen, we never get a 4 star and you know why.

I'll be visiting the June Jones memorial on the big island in the next few weeks I will update the video.

https://youtu.be/XPIlpCtSpWw

Where is it as I am there in 10 days
smupony94

Postby One Trick Pony » Fri May 17, 2019 6:15 pm

smupony94 wrote:
One Trick Pony wrote:You know that aint never gonna happen, we never get a 4 star and you know why.

I'll be visiting the June Jones memorial on the big island in the next few weeks I will update the video.

https://youtu.be/XPIlpCtSpWw

Where is it as I am there in 10 days
If you walk the sidewalk right outside the Marriott it's right where the circle is.

It's actually across the street where he had a condo. He Was a frequent client of the Marriott pub beach barImage
One Trick Pony

Postby One Trick Pony » Fri May 17, 2019 6:21 pm

They have the best mai tai on the islandImage
One Trick Pony

Postby smupony94 » Fri May 17, 2019 6:49 pm

Ha that’s where I’m staying
smupony94

Postby One Trick Pony » Fri May 17, 2019 7:42 pm

I like the place . Looks like will pass each other as I will arrive in the area later.

Make sure you walk the beach path over to the place everybody goes to I forgot the name of that Restaurant bar but they have good tapas half off at happy hour.
One Trick Pony

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Sat May 18, 2019 2:26 pm

This thread has officially been high jacked.
ALEX LIFESON

Postby One Trick Pony » Sat May 18, 2019 3:26 pm

ALEX LIFESON wrote:This thread has officially been high jacked.
https://youtu.be/KJXzkUH72cY
One Trick Pony

Postby PonyPride » Sun May 19, 2019 12:32 am

So in addition to Cam'Ron Jones, SMU now has the following safeties:

Rodney Clemons
Trevor Denbow
Pat Nelson
Collin Rock
Treveon Johnson
Roderick Roberson
Brent Freeman
Michael Salerno
Brice Madison
Ra-Sun Kazadi
Donald Clay
Chace Cromartie

With Denbow moving back to safety, Nelson played a lot of linebacker in the spring.

Thoughts?
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride

Postby JasonB » Sun May 19, 2019 10:41 am

Nelson should stay at that "star" hybrid position. Closer to the line the better.

Kazadi, Madison, Salerno, Freeman are all walkons and aren't going to factor. Kazadi maybe later but not young. Rock and Cromartie are DITR recruits and shouldn't play.

Clemons and Denbow are the starters right now. Both DITR recruits. Clemons played a lot better last year and is at least an average starter in the league. Denbow showed well in the spring and it seems like would be at least average. Injury history with both and no proven depth.

Roberson is a little better recruit than the others, but not such a strong recruit that you want him in as an instant starter. Clay and Johnson both are very highly rated recruits, but we haven't seen either yet. Jones is obviously the highest rated player.

Jones was a really important get. Going into the season, you have Denbow and Clemons starting, which should at least be average in the league. Now you have three unknowns backing them up, but with Clay, Johnson, and Jones all with a strong recruiting pedigree you at least feel better that two of them will pan out and provide adequate depth if not push for a starting spot. Roberson would be a bonus if he is ready to compete as well. We should end up with a unit that is at least average in the league with potential for greater upside.

It leaves corner as the only concern defensively heading into the season, with Westfall and Hayes starting and a bunch of guys backing them up. Westfall, for what it is worth, was a higher rated recruit than Hayes, and has gotten good feedback from the staff. They should both be average. But we have a bunch of bodies as depth. Getting some rumored GTs there would allow the defense to really take another giant step forward after the progress from last season.
JasonB

Postby AusTxPony » Sun May 19, 2019 12:04 pm

Thanx for the analysis. Sounds like we need some really good, fast, smart defensive linemen and linebackers. Do we have them?
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyPride » Sun May 19, 2019 2:03 pm

Clemons said during the spring that he has put on 25 poundssince last season. If he keeps the same speed, it will be interesting to see how the extra bulk affects Clemons' play. If nothing else, it should add to his impact as a hitter.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride

Postby JasonB » Mon May 20, 2019 9:57 am

AusTxPony wrote:Thanx for the analysis. Sounds like we need some really good, fast, smart defensive linemen and linebackers. Do we have them?

We have great depth on the DL, and we run two deep at LB now as well.

Biggest needs I think are:
- We need more depth at corner.
- We need one of our DEs to turn into the stud pass rush threat to take the defense next level. Wiley, Ndukwe, or Neals are probably the best candidates for that although Spears and Choate could evolve. Wiley is probably the one with the best measurables and athletic ability to become that player, he is who I would have my eye on in the Fall.
- We need Nelson to stay healthy at the star. He is great against the run and has the agility to play the pass in nickel situations. Our LB depth is nice - Moore is phenomenal and should be all conference. Williams played really well last year. Robinson and Hailey are nice pieces, and Phillips, Rispress, and Ellison are really nice players for the future. But Nelson and Moore are the two playmakers and need to be healthy this season.

If we check all of those boxes, and they are "ifs", the defense is maybe best in the conference next season.
JasonB

Postby AusTxPony » Mon May 20, 2019 10:40 am

Again thanx for your insight. This is the time of year to let our optimism fly. We have some good early winnable tests prior to Conference play. And our schedule ranks in the upper half of the AAC SOS on one site I saw. Surprising.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Football