PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

AAC Tourney

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

AAC Tourney

Postby Mustangsabu » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:28 am

How did I not know this was at the new Arena in Ft Worth this year???

Obviously we are the “home team” but could we seriously not host it in Dallas????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: AAC Tourney

Postby Pony ^ » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:38 am

It's there for next 3 years too
Pony ^
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby okcponyfan » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:18 am

Just guessing but i bet that the arena and FW gave the AAC the best package.

Arena paid the most for the tourney or gave the AAC the most free hotel rooms for the schools, etc.

Not sure how profitable the tourney actually is.
okcponyfan
Varsity

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:18 pm

Capacity of 13,300 for basketball is about right for The American tournament.

Arenas in Dallas would be too small (Moody) or too big (American Airlines Center) I believe. Unless there is somewhere else I am not thinking about???

I imagine once The American tournament consistently fills an arena like Dickey's the conference will consider moving to a larger venue but it is probably good for right now.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby smupony94 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:43 pm

Ft Worth offered cash

Simple as that
smupony94

Postby ponyboy » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:21 pm

Cool. Lets put us some SMU billboards in Fort Worth
ponyboy

Postby Mustangsabu » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:54 am

From the attendance last year at Fedex Forum in Memphis it would appear that Moody would do just fine. 7k at the final and no more than 8k for the early rounds (double headers, no way there was ever 8k in the building) and most of the fans were probably memphis fans. SMU won't travel to Ft Worth worth a damn. Even if we were going to win the darn thing.

In all seriousness, Dickies will be more than big enough and should be a pretty cool venue given that everything Ft Worth does tends to be better than Dallas (their Zoo, downtown, Amon Carter, Bass Hall, tourist areas... ok I'll stop before I'm shot :)).
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:57 pm

AAC better hope Houston and Tulsa or SMU can advance in the tourney. There are going to be PLENTY of empty seats. Tough road trip for most of our conference mates.
Charleston Pony

Postby CA Mustang » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:24 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:AAC better hope Houston and Tulsa or SMU can advance in the tourney. There are going to be PLENTY of empty seats. Tough road trip for most of our conference mates.

Every city in the AAC has flights to DFW (all nonstop?). WSU folks are already excited about having the tournament at a location within a reasonable drive (or short flight). Tough for the Florida schools, but they probably wouldn't bring many fans regardless of location. NE schools will travel well if their teams are doing good.

For those following the new facility, who will be the main tenant? Minor league sports? High schools? Guess the bigger question is how the city/county plan to recover their investment.
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Pony ^ » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:26 pm

Mustangsabu wrote:From the attendance last year at Fedex Forum in Memphis it would appear that Moody would do just fine. 7k at the final and no more than 8k for the early rounds (double headers, no way there was ever 8k in the building) and most of the fans were probably memphis fans. SMU won't travel to Ft Worth worth a damn. Even if we were going to win the darn thing.

In all seriousness, Dickies will be more than big enough and should be a pretty cool venue given that everything Ft Worth does tends to be better than Dallas (their Zoo, downtown, Amon Carter, Bass Hall, tourist areas... ok I'll stop before I'm shot :)).

If SMU was good enough to win the tournament, I think we would see plenty of SMU fans there. Much like we had in Tulsa at the NCAA tournament. This year, Memphis will attract the casual basketball fan in the DFW area just to see the potential #1 pick. I remember Memphis fans were everywhere when D-Rose was around. Hopefully Houston is similar to the last 2 years and that should help too. WSU will bring their allegiance per usual. I actually think it's a great spot for the AAC. I will definitely head to Fort Worth
Pony ^

Postby Pony ^ » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:29 pm

CA Mustang wrote:
For those following the new facility, who will be the main tenant? Minor league sports? High schools? Guess the bigger question is how the city/county plan to recover their investment.

The Rodeo moving there should help. Good concerts coming too (George Strait). Will host NCAA tourney games in a few years too.
Pony ^

Postby PonyLaw90 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:07 pm

Mustangsabu wrote:From the attendance last year at Fedex Forum in Memphis it would appear that Moody would do just fine. 7k at the final and no more than 8k for the early rounds (double headers, no way there was ever 8k in the building) and most of the fans were probably memphis fans. SMU won't travel to Ft Worth worth a damn. Even if we were going to win the darn thing.

HELLO! We have the West End!
PonyLaw90
Varsity

Postby CA Mustang » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:10 pm

Pony ^ wrote:
CA Mustang wrote:

The Rodeo moving there should help.

How many nights is the rodeo each year?
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Pony ^ » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:57 am

CA Mustang wrote:
Pony ^ wrote:
CA Mustang wrote:

The Rodeo moving there should help.

How many nights is the rodeo each year?

I want to say it's one of the only year round rodeos. every Friday and Saturday night
Pony ^

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:36 am

Pony ^ wrote:
CA Mustang wrote:

The Rodeo moving there should help. Good concerts coming too (George Strait). Will host NCAA tourney games in a few years too.

Because basketball and country music/rodeo are like peanut butter and jelly - a perfect combination. Brilliant! I have no clue why UConn wanted to leave the AAC?
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Next

Return to Basketball