PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

UCONN to Rejoin Big East

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: UCONN to Rejoin Big East

Postby horsemanx » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:11 pm

I don't understand the service academy love. Playing Navy regularly is enough of a triple option beating - not to mention the knees.

Army does absolutely nothing for me.
An object at rest cannot be stopped!
horsemanx
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:48 pm

horsemanx wrote:I don't understand the service academy love. Playing Navy regularly is enough of a triple option beating - not to mention the knees.

Army does absolutely nothing for me.

Agree about option teams being tough on the knees, but our conference is called the "American Athletic Conference" so who more appropriate than Army & Navy as members? Not to mention there is plenty of interest in those programs nationally.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mrydel » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:27 pm

There are a lot of other schools in America besides the service academies.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Vitale » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:27 pm

Maybe there's some value in Connecticut staying as a football school, since it's a beatable opponent and the Big East doesn't have football.
Vitale
All-American

Postby sadderbudweiser » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:57 am

Why add another team? SMU should simply volunteer to play in BOTH football divisions. All problems solved.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby redpony » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:56 am

smupony94 wrote: Redpony has a new school to [deleted] about

94-Why the smartarse comment? I agree that I am critical in areas that need to be criticized. However, I think our school should be doing much better than it is, both in academics and sports. It just seems we have an admin. that is only here to collect their paychecks and get to retirement instead of making us a top university.
In fact I just read an article on MSN about the top 50 private schools in the U.S. and we are nowhere to be found. Don't you think that after 20+ years at the helm our 'leadership' should have us in the top 50 private schools?
redpony

Postby Lefty » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:16 am

Add Rice - small, private academics-first school, beatable in all sports but not an anonymous cupcake school, based in fertile recruiting area and has a long history with SMU. To me, Rice should be on the non-conference football and basketball schedules now.
Lefty
All-American

Postby Lefty » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:18 am

Also, I hate Tulsa, but booting them doesn't make sense - same reasons as Rice (also each is within driving distance of Dallas).
Lefty
All-American

Postby SoCal_Pony » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:23 am

Red, I will take it a step further.

If your criteria is the 2 most popular sports in a particular country (for America that would be FB & BB) and if you factor in intangible advantages we have, I would argue that absent a brief LB run that SMU itself helped destroy, SMU is probably most inept sports brand in America, possibly the world. Sounds hyperbolic, I realize, but hear me out.

Over the past 30 years, SMU has been ranked a Top 60 national university in America (reputation, but not so academic as to be a hindrance), a Top 60 school worldwide in terms of endowment (financial resources) and probably THE Top location nationwide for FB & BB HS talent.

Yet given these advantages, what exactly has SMU achieved??

for FB:
winning % is 114 out of 119 D1-A schools.
0-56-1 vs. Big12 South, the 1 criteria diehard fans truly care about.

for BB:
2-54 vs ranked teams pre-LB for the Men.
4 NCAA tourney wins total in over 60 years of Men’s & Women’s combined participation. I’m sure you are aware, every year some 10 to 15 schools accomplish this or more in less than 3 weeks.

I’m not a sports fanatic, but I follow it somewhat. I really can’t think of anyone as inept as SMU.

For our men....
0-56-1, 2-54 & 1 tourney win in 30 years....who can possibly match that.
SoCal_Pony

Postby shadowman » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:14 am

Lefty wrote:Also, I hate Tulsa, but booting them doesn't make sense - same reasons as Rice (also each is within driving distance of Dallas).

I would be cool with Rice. Great academics and a long history with SMU. I could actually see Rice reinvesting in Football and Basketball if they could make a conference upgrade.

Would probably be hard to convince Houston to agree to it though, and they hold plenty of sway.
Probaly won't happen...BUT...maybe it will!!
shadowman
Hall of Famer

Postby Mustangsabu » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:07 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:Red, I will take it a step further.

If your criteria is the 2 most popular sports in a particular country (for America that would be FB & BB) and if you factor in intangible advantages we have, I would argue that absent a brief LB run that SMU itself helped destroy, SMU is probably most inept sports brand in America, possibly the world. Sounds hyperbolic, I realize, but hear me out.

Over the past 30 years, SMU has been ranked a Top 60 national university in America (reputation, but not so academic as to be a hindrance), a Top 60 school worldwide in terms of endowment (financial resources) and probably THE Top location nationwide for FB & BB HS talent.

Yet given these advantages, what exactly has SMU achieved??

for FB:
winning % is 114 out of 119 D1-A schools.
0-56-1 vs. Big12 South, the 1 criteria diehard fans truly care about.

for BB:
2-54 vs ranked teams pre-LB for the Men.
4 NCAA tourney wins total in over 60 years of Men’s & Women’s combined participation. I’m sure you are aware, every year some 10 to 15 schools accomplish this or more in less than 3 weeks.

I’m not a sports fanatic, but I follow it somewhat. I really can’t think of anyone as inept as SMU.

For our men....
0-56-1, 2-54 & 1 tourney win in 30 years....who can possibly match that.

I agree with you. But I'm shocked at the notion that we are a top 60 school worldwide in terms of endowment and yet, according to the last Times ranking of world universities, we are in the "350-400" bracket.
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby One Trick Pony » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:48 pm

One Trick Pony

UCONN to Rejoin Big East

Postby WordUpBU » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:46 pm

CA Mustang wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:Stinks for Temple losing their closest rival for both sports, but would like to see Navy move to the east for football and maybe invite BYU for football only in the west? Could leave hoops at 11 members and AAC could play 20 conference games so you get everyone home/home. That would mean top 5 finishers get 1st round bye in conference tourney as bottom six play their way into the 2nd round.

I agree 100%.

DFW HOYA wrote:BYU makes more money with its own TV deal than the AAC can offer, and plane trips east probably have limited interest in Provo.

How much money do they currently make and how does it compare with the new AAC deal?

As for plane trips east, count how many they have in their current and future schedules. https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/byu/

1- BYU has a variable payout depending on how many of their games hit ABC (higher pay), ESPN/ESPN2, ESPNU (lowest), or BYUtv (ESPN doesn’t pay for these they chose not to pick up)

Annual estimate ranges from 3.5M to 6M from ESPN for football tv alone depending on which ESPN networks pick up home games but it’s about to renegotiate so expect it to outpace that as all these deals are averages that are backloaded. I see 7 as their floor on the next deal lifetime average. This doesn’t include pay from BYU tv for the 1-2 games annually, other pay from neutral site games, bowl pay, independent playoff money splits, or other game contract stipulations.

2- Football travel isn’t an issue really. Non-FB is where it adds up which is why regional additions like WSU (driveable to/from Tulsa) help so much.

I doubt BYU would come. Their goals are exposure & bigger matchups.

Playing more P5’s while cherry picking g5 games gets the matchup part while ESPN or BYUtv gives them almost perfect visibility nationally.
Last edited by WordUpBU on Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WordUpBU
All-American

Postby Cheesesteak » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:11 pm

By WordUpBU “Playing more P5s while cherry picking g5 games gets the matchup part while ESPN or BYUtv gives them almost perfect visibility nationally.”

The comments above are incorrect.

For example, in 2019 BYU football has four P5 opponents. All 4 games will be played before September 22nd. BYU has a unappealing schedule and no conference title to compete for during October and November.
Cheesesteak
All-American

Postby WordUpBU » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:35 pm

Cheesesteak wrote:By WordUpBU “Playing more P5s while cherry picking g5 games gets the matchup part while ESPN or BYUtv gives them almost perfect visibility nationally.”

The comments above are incorrect.

For example, in 2019 BYU football has four P5 opponents. All 4 games will be played before September 22nd. BYU has a unappealing schedule and no conference title to compete for during October and November.

1- Joining the AAC would replace two of those P5’s if not three. Right now the majority of their home slate is de-facto P5 in terms of matchup quality as you have Boise, USC, Washington, and Utah paired with two weak matchups. One of those P5s and one weaker matchup paired with a rotating AAC slate isn’t assured to be that good as inevitably half of any division will be in an up year or down year.

2- They also cherry pick regional MWC schools that are among the most appealing in that league with obviously good matchup Boise State as well as San Diego St and Utah St who are among the better MWC teams who they have long history with.

3- In addition they get USF and Toledo who were solid G5 teams.

4- It’s certainly front loaded but overall a more high profile slate and with tons of visibility on ESPN, ABC, or BYUtv carrying it where the entire country sees them without needing ESPN+.
WordUpBU
All-American

PreviousNext

Return to Around the Hilltop