PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

UCONN's departure from the AAC...

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

UCONN's departure from the AAC...

Postby peruna81 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:32 pm

in other sports to go back to the Big East makes sense for them financially, but it is going to hang their football program in an interesting place if the AAC decides to push back. Can't be good overall for our current conference, and I am curious where this is headed long term.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: UCONN's departure from the AAC...

Postby Nacho » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:11 pm

Good riddance
Nacho
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby originaloverthehilltop1 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:02 pm

losing a traditionally good bball program but somebody inform me what else is there to sweat? wont we just replace everything else with someone closer and just as good? or better?
originaloverthehilltop1
Varsity

Postby originaloverthehilltop1 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:06 pm

also would it be ok to find a great nonfootball playing partner and play another nonconference fball game each yr? or not replace em at all for other sports?
originaloverthehilltop1
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:23 pm

originaloverthehilltop1 wrote:also would it be ok to find a great nonfootball playing partner and play another nonconference fball game each yr? or not replace em at all for other sports?

Would be pretty awkward having 11 football members and only 7 conference games. I'm sure the AAC wants to play a championship game so 12 football members and 8 conference games is the way to go. Question is whether there is anyone who could come in as an all-sports member and add value. Easier to add one football only member and play bball with only 11 members if it comes to that.
Charleston Pony

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:27 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
originaloverthehilltop1 wrote:also would it be ok to find a great nonfootball playing partner and play another nonconference fball game each yr? or not replace em at all for other sports?

I'm sure the AAC wants to play a championship game so 12 football members and 8 conference games is the way to go

I thought having 12 members for a championship game wasn't a requirement anymore since the Big 12-2 has one.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:30 pm

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:

I'm sure the AAC wants to play a championship game so 12 football members and 8 conference games is the way to go

I thought having 12 members for a championship game wasn't a requirement anymore since the Big 12-2 has one.

Not required but at least the Big XII plays a full schedule of conference games which makes it easier to pit the 2 best teams against each other in the championship game. With only 7 conference games, it might become a crap shoot as to who are really the 2 best teams.
Charleston Pony

Postby Topper » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:59 pm

Obviously UCONN is hanging football out to dry for good. So is BYU still a no-go for the AAC? Is there another team in the East to pair with Temple that needs a football home? The people at Liberty are looking to move up.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:43 pm

Topper wrote:Obviously UCONN is hanging football out to dry for good. So is BYU still a no-go for the AAC? Is there another team in the East to pair with Temple that needs a football home? The people at Liberty are looking to move up.

I would rather move Navy to the East and look for a replacement in the West to help with conference divisional proximity
Charleston Pony

Postby PoconoPony » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:13 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
Topper wrote:Obviously UCONN is hanging football out to dry for good. So is BYU still a no-go for the AAC? Is there another team in the East to pair with Temple that needs a football home? The people at Liberty are looking to move up.

I would rather move Navy to the East and look for a replacement in the West to help with conference divisional proximity

Need Navy in the West so that East Coast people get to see at least one SMU game every two years. Several days in Annapolis is a great time in the fall.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:19 pm

PoconoPony wrote:Need Navy in the West so that East Coast people get to see at least one SMU game every two years. Several days in Annapolis is a great time in the fall.

Have only visited Annapolis once...in JJ's 1st year when we played in the nor'easter and were humiliated. Was still a fun trip and one I told myself that I'd like to do again.
Charleston Pony

Postby docabel » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:27 am

Charleston Pony wrote:

Traditionally, Navy games at Ford are one of the better attended games. And their fans are a whole class above the typical ucf or temple visitors.
docabel
Heisman

Postby smupony94 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:09 am

docabel wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:

Traditionally, Navy games at Ford are one of the better attended games. And their fans are a whole class above the typical ucf or temple visitors.

Have you been to an away game? It’s comparable to being in Lubbock based on class
smupony94

Postby mrydel » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:19 am

Only they throw MREs rather than tortillas
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby smupony94 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:30 am

mrydel wrote:Only they throw MREs rather than tortillas

You suck!!!!!