PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

UCONN's departure from the AAC...

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: UCONN's departure from the AAC...

Postby Digetydog » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:27 am

docabel wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:
Topper wrote:Obviously UCONN is hanging football out to dry for good. So is BYU still a no-go for the AAC? Is there another team in the East to pair with Temple that needs a football home? The people at Liberty are looking to move up.

I would rather move Navy to the East and look for a replacement in the West to help with conference divisional proximity

Traditionally, Navy games at Ford are one of the better attended games. And their fans are a whole class above the typical ucf or temple visitors.

I went in June’s second to last year. Great weather. Great trip. I don’t think we forced them to punt the entire game.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PoconoPony » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:37 am

Charleston Pony wrote:
PoconoPony wrote:Need Navy in the West so that East Coast people get to see at least one SMU game every two years. Several days in Annapolis is a great time in the fall.

Have only visited Annapolis once...in JJ's 1st year when we played in the nor'easter and were humiliated. Was still a fun trip and one I told myself that I'd like to do again.

Great weather the morning of this game with a front moving in literally 10 minutes before the game. Total heavy rain and wind disaster. Torrents of water running down the stadium stairways. One hour after the game perfect weather as we ate on the pier of a seafood restaurant. Even Morestedt had several 9 yard punts with a long of roughly 18 yards.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Arkpony » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:30 pm

My wife and Were there. We stayed to the bitter end and were the only ones left in the SMU section in the blowing rain-for that matter in about any section except for the Navy guys who stayed to the end.
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:46 pm

Arkpony wrote:My wife and Were there. We stayed to the bitter end and were the only ones left in the SMU section in the blowing rain-for that matter in about any section except for the Navy guys who stayed to the end.

We made it to the 4th quarter but eventually tired of the whitewater splashing us from behind. Had to be the most miserable conditions I've ever sat through. Kudos to staying until the bitter end. We actually made it back to the hotel and saw the end of game in the hotel lobby
Charleston Pony

Postby leopold » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:45 pm

peruna81 wrote:in other sports to go back to the Big East makes sense for them financially, but it is going to hang their football program in an interesting place if the AAC decides to push back. Can't be good overall for our current conference, and I am curious where this is headed long term.

UConn leaing is a fantastic opportunity for this conference. They didn't want to be here, were the northern most school in a Deep South/Texas based conference and are lost on a football field. I'm happy to see them go, but would actually be for scheduling them in OOC games, rather than Texas State.

The conference's needs are pretty simple, IMO.

1. Football
2. Stability
3. Rivalries

Based on that I tend to favor Southern Miss, even if it's not the sexy choice. Stay away from BYU and one sport additions, like another Navy or WSU.
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponypatrick » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:04 pm

UAB or JMU
ponypatrick
Varsity

Postby smupony94 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:27 pm

Guess our fans want us back in CUSA
smupony94

Postby peruna81 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:47 pm

Liberty...

They have a few skins on the wall, and bring a respectable number of fans to away games.
They also recruit Texas with some degree of proficiency.

Lynchburg is also not THAT bad a place to visit.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby 03Mustang » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:42 pm

Go with 11 and see if an opportunity comes along later. I would never sign up to be affiliated with Liberty.
03Mustang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby 82Pony » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:04 am

I say Aresco needs to earn his money and go get Notre Dame. Get ESPN on board and offer them more money than NBC deal. (Yes, unconventional and not fair to the rest of the AAC.) I know it won't happen, but we a least need to think bigger!
82Pony
Varsity

Postby leopold » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:53 am

Notre Dame has signed the contract and is officially in the ACC, including the option to join in football. I'm pretty sure they have signed an agreement for around four ACC games a year.
It's done, they are going nowhere. Even approaching them would be silly.
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby redpony » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:05 pm

82Pony wrote:I say Aresco needs to earn his money !

Indeed. It will be interesting to see if he holds UCONNs feet to the fire and makes them pay the full amount for leaving or folds and lets them skate with a much lesser amount. Obviously this will set the bar for any other schools wanting to leave early (aka cougar high).
redpony

Previous

Return to Football