PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Basketball Eligibility

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Basketball Eligibility

Postby ponyboy » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:01 pm

It’s going to really suck to be you when Jank rolls out a good basketball team this year.
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby The Falcon » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:06 pm

I agree with you Ponyboy. I believe this team will be better than most people think.

Let's see what happens before we spread toxic thoughts poisoning this website. If the
year goes badly then have at it.
The Falcon
All-American

Postby East Coast Mustang » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:09 pm

ponyboy wrote:It’s going to really suck to be you when Jank rolls out a good basketball team this year.

I hope I’m wrong! But by all accounts Tim Jankovich has completely mailed it in and doesn’t give a rip about anything except cashing fat paychecks. There is zero energy or enthusiasm around this program and it’s all reflective of the head man. I’m sick of hearing about sanctions, he inherited a roster with four NBA players + Jarrey from Larry and has proceeded to run this program straight into the ground because of his laziness and incompetence.

Unless the NCAA bails us out with the Davis and McNeill waivers (and I wont hold my breath there), our guard depth for next season consists of:

Jolly- I think he’ll be good, he’s a legit athlete, but still unproved at college level
Bandoumel- Could be good but iffy offer list out of JUCO and stats there weren’t stellar
Smith- Again, I think he’ll be a good player in 2-3 years but cant expect much as a true frosh
McBride- Weak offer list, true freshman, anything we get from him at all is a bonus
White- No comment
Douglas- See White, but worse

You win in college basketball with good guard play — Jank better hope to God that Davis and McNeill get those waivers. Actually, on second thought, Tim would probably be perfectly content to get fired after another mediocre season, collect a fat buyout check and strum his guitar all day long.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:35 pm

You nailed it ECM. Without the waivers we’re looking at a .500 season at best simply because most of the conference has taken a step up. Our bs OOC schedule will get us some wins and probably an embarrassing loss or two. Or three. We need Davis and O’Neil to be relevant.

But I hope they get to play for an entirely different reason: it’s one less Jankscuse.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby geezerdonk » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:28 pm

Is there a deadline for the NCAA to act on the waivers?
A long tradition of existence.
geezerdonk
Varsity

Postby ponyboy » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:02 pm

Grandstanding pays better than loyalty on the internet.
ponyboy

Postby East Coast Mustang » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:37 pm

ponyboy wrote:Grandstanding pays better than loyalty on the internet.

I notice you’re hot to trot on taking shots at me personally, but have little to nothing to say to rebut the criticisms I have about Jank. Very telling.
East Coast Mustang

Postby ponyboy » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:43 pm

You've been pounding on our coach nearly nonstop. Let's just say we both hope you're wrong.
ponyboy

Postby PonyLawExpress » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:03 pm

Jank sucks. That being said if Davis and McNeill do get waivers we could be pretty dang good. I like a lot of our additions. Just wish a new coach was one of those additions. We will know a lot more come October.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby East Coast Mustang » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:20 am

ponyboy wrote:You've been pounding on our coach nearly nonstop. Let's just say we both hope you're wrong.

Because he’s doing a terrible job! And I’ve outlined the reasons why on numerous occasions. Are you his cousin or something? This ain’t rocket science.

Actually, the more I think about it... with his arrogance, sense of entitlement, excuse making, and complete inability to take responsibility for anything under his control, Jank reminds me of a lot of people I went to college with. Maybe he is the perfect coach for SMU!
East Coast Mustang

Postby JasonB » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:35 am

Take the personality stuff out of it... results are what matter.

On the court, it took him too long a couple of years ago with the great team, to switch to positionless basketball. And to install the pick and roll. It has taken him too long to make other adjustments in terms of style of play. Or to make adjustments during the game. The defensive principles aren't great. They jack up too many threes. The offense isn't fluid. Etc.

The question becomes this: Did these things happen because Jank is a bad coach? Or did these things happen because there weren't enough players to hold full practices?

As someone who coaches, I can tell you that practice is really, really important to building a good team. If I don't have enough quality players, or players in general, to mimic game-like conditions during practice, my team is going to be horrible in the games.

I'll suggest that this year we are going to find out very clearly if Jank is a bad coach or if the practice thing really was holding him back. We will see that play out within the first month of the season.

It's ok to make predictions about what you think the result will be. But if the teams stinks, admit it. nd if the team does well, walk it back.
JasonB

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:51 am

JasonB wrote: I'll suggest that this year we are going to find out very clearly if Jank is a bad coach or if the practice thing really was holding him back. We will see that play out within the first month of the season.

The whole "practice" issue aside, this thread started about this year's roster and eligibility of our transfers will no doubt be a key to this season. We might be a lot more dependent on JUCOs and Frosh than we'd like to be for guard play, but the core group of returnees (Mike, Hunt & Chargois) are really going to have to lead and perform well for this team to improve on last year's disappointing finish. Just saw this on Mike. Let's hope he can become the player we all hoped he'd be for this program when he transferred.

https://smumustangs.com/feature/stores-isiaha-mike
Charleston Pony

Postby mustangxc » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:42 am

After a couple bad seasons on and off the court things are finally trending in the right direction for SMU basketball. We finally added some great players in the offseason and got rid of our dead weight assistant. If we get the waivers and add a great assistant and then cut some dead weight from the roster and replace them with the right players we could get back on track. If we don’t then move on to the next head coach. It’s not personal, it’s about winning.
mustangxc

Postby friarwolf » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:02 pm

mustangxc wrote:After a couple bad seasons on and off the court things are finally trending in the right direction for SMU basketball. We finally added some great players in the offseason and got rid of our dead weight assistant. If we get the waivers and add a great assistant and then cut some dead weight from the roster and replace them with the right players we could get back on track. If we don’t then move on to the next head coach. It’s not personal, it’s about winning.

Great players???? Let's try serviceable D-1 players.....Jank's history is that he is a mediocre head coach and a mediocre head coach and serviceable D-1 players add up to a .500 team at best and horrible at worst.....
friarwolf
Heisman

Postby mustangxc » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:54 pm

Jolly, McNeill and Davis are great additions. If we manage to add players of that caliber every season we will be NCAA tournament regulars. The problem is we added low major caliber players the last few seasons.
mustangxc

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball