PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Ben Hicks transfers to Hogs

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Ben Hicks transfers to Hogs

Postby One Trick Pony » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:16 pm

With this weak schedule and improved talent I'm expecting xanadu mo fos.

I'm all in I spent 5 bucks
One Trick Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby White Helmet » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:19 pm

CJPONY16 wrote:How many P5 offers does our recruiting class have?

Its August, and the class isn't even halfway done. Wait until January before you lose your mind. Sonny & Co have improved on every class so far. They have a plan, and have earned the benefit of the doubt. Pump the brakes a little.[/quote]

January? Are we just giving up on the early signing period? Cincinnati and Memphis already have 16 commits, Tulane has 22...
White Helmet
Hall of Famer

Postby CJPONY16 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:30 pm

White Helmet wrote:

Its August, and the class isn't even halfway done. Wait until January before you lose your mind. Sonny & Co have improved on every class so far. They have a plan, and have earned the benefit of the doubt. Pump the brakes a little.

January? Are we just giving up on the early signing period? Cincinnati and Memphis already have 16 commits, Tulane has 22...[/quote]
In recruiting, its more about how you finish, than how you start. Theres a good chance those schools lose some of those players, or their senior seasons dont turn out well. Sonny and Co are taking their time and making sure they actually get their evaluations correct. Would you rather they had a full class but half of them didnt pan out like all of Chads classes? Sonny has signed 9 of the top 25 recruits since the rankings started, and the top two classes overall. He has brought in multiple high profile transfers that will completely change our team for the better. Why dont you cut him some slack. This aint his first rodeo.
CJPONY16
Junior Varsity

Postby White Helmet » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:15 pm

CJPONY16 wrote:
White Helmet wrote:

Its August, and the class isn't even halfway done. Wait until January before you lose your mind. Sonny & Co have improved on every class so far. They have a plan, and have earned the benefit of the doubt. Pump the brakes a little.

January? Are we just giving up on the early signing period? Cincinnati and Memphis already have 16 commits, Tulane has 22...

In recruiting, its more about how you finish, than how you start. Theres a good chance those schools lose some of those players, or their senior seasons dont turn out well. Sonny and Co are taking their time and making sure they actually get their evaluations correct. Would you rather they had a full class but half of them didnt pan out like all of Chads classes? Sonny has signed 9 of the top 25 recruits since the rankings started, and the top two classes overall. He has brought in multiple high profile transfers that will completely change our team for the better. Why dont you cut him some slack. This aint his first rodeo.[/quote]

You're right its not his first rodeo. Whats his career record? 46-52? I think he could be successful here but he absolutely deserves to be on the "hot list" where he is. He is #27, not #3
White Helmet
Hall of Famer

Postby One Trick Pony » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:12 pm

Who wants to come play football at SMU seriously. When they called my house in 2000 we just giggled. We're a long ways from the promise land and will probably just end up walking around in the desert no disrespect ....
One Trick Pony

Postby JasonB » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:46 pm

OTOH, if you think we were a QB away from the division last season, return 16 starts, upgrade at QB, added transfers, and had a really nice recruiting class, then your ability to recruit come November is going to be a heck of a lot better than it was in June. So, you wait.
JasonB

Postby Nacho » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:23 am

after one year he is on the hot seat. lol. definition of insanity
Nacho

Postby CJPONY16 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:56 am

Nacho wrote:after one year he is on the hot seat. lol. definition of insanity

Optimism runs wild for some, insanity for others.
CJPONY16
Junior Varsity

Postby smitty329 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:27 pm

Beat Arky State!! Go Ponies!!
smitty329
All-American

Postby No Quarter » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:25 am

This is not to defend Hicks or criticize him. It is a question for those who know more about SMU recruiting than I over the period he was at SMU.

Please name the QB or QBs interested in SMU and who might have been admitted and who performed well wherever they matriculated than Hicks at SMU? I understand might be made because it might be hard to name one who had better receivers.

Please don't rehash the commitment and defection of Charlie Brewer (or Davey Moore).
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby Nacho » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:36 am

pick 6 was the biggest choker in smu history
Sutton and tre saved him
even with proche and Roberson he was awful
good riddance
Nacho

Postby JasonB » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:34 am

No Quarter wrote:This is not to defend Hicks or criticize him. It is a question for those who know more about SMU recruiting than I over the period he was at SMU.

Please name the QB or QBs interested in SMU and who might have been admitted and who performed well wherever they matriculated than Hicks at SMU? I understand might be made because it might be hard to name one who had better receivers.

Please don't rehash the commitment and defection of Charlie Brewer (or Davey Moore).

Well, Brewer is a big one, but outside of that, consider that there were a lot of other QBs available to choose from, that Chad couldn't get here. Or didn't attempt to recruit because Hicks was here.
He got Upshaw? We are now in a situation where we have 3 QBs on campus after two recruiting cycles who are all better than Hicks.

Hicks as a frosh: 55.5%, 6.9 per attempt, 19 TD, 15 INT, 121.5 rating
Brown as a frosh: 62.4%, 7.4, 7, 1, 148.9
JasonB

Postby SoCal_Pony » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:34 pm

No Quarter wrote:This is not to defend Hicks or criticize him. It is a question for those who know more about SMU recruiting than I over the period he was at SMU.

For 10 years, tiki & chad were by far the highest paid non-P5 HC’s, both were also known as offensive masterminds.

For some reason, both struck out at recruiting QBs. I do think Hicks was our best recruit. I was never enamored with him, but to say there are 3 QBs on this roster better than our all-time leader in yards, completions and TDs (accomplished in his first 3 years) is a bit of a stretch to me.
SoCal_Pony

Postby SoCal_Pony » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:43 pm

White Helmet wrote:
ponyboy wrote:Pretty funny for Dykes to be in that hot seat list. Um, no.

So you’re satisfied with 5-7, cool.

Whoever compiled this list apparently doesn’t follow BB.

Given how jank trainwrecked our program and survived, I’m convinced Sony could go winless and be here next year.
SoCal_Pony

Ben Hicks transfers to Hogs

Postby mrydel » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:43 pm

All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

PreviousNext

Return to Around the Hilltop