PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Looking forward to the game

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Looking forward to the game

Postby meangreenfan » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:13 pm

Hi guys - hey that was a nice performance against Arkansas State College you had. Congrats. That was one of the biggest wins you have had in quite a while. Good for you. Buchele looks like a decent improvement over Hicks. Sonny looks like he has lost some weight as well. I noticed on the broadcast you guys have a lot of transfer scholarship players like 21 or more? Is that because you can't recruit the type of player you need from the Dallas area high schools you need? Seems like there would be a lot of great high school players in Texas that would be worth giving a scholarship to. The issue as I see it is will all of these players who are strangers to the program be able to provide adequate chemistry? Time will tell certainly but the big big win over Arkansas State College certainly seems to support that it was a good plan after all.

One question, if Buchele goes down who would be the number two quarterback? Also is it safe to finally say that player Trevor Denbow is dirty? I mean for goodness sakes he got kicked out for targeting against us last year and did again against Arkansas State the other night. Anyone know for how long he is out? Sonny said last year it was a tough call but fool me once?

I expect we will have a very solid crowd as every year. Looking forward to a good clean game with no injuries. I think you will be very impressed with our QB Mason Fine as he is a fun player to watch.

This is a good series for the both of us and I for one hope that it will continue on. Our fans can be found over at Gomeangreen.com https://www.gomeangreen.com/forums/forum/4-mean-green-football/ and we will welcome you with open arms. Go Mean Green!
meangreenfan
Recruit

Re: Looking forward to the game

Postby 78pony » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:23 pm

Sonny said at his Monday night gathering that Denbow was surprised/unaware (can't remember exactly what words he used but that is the gist) that he was that close to a collision and what ended up happening was just instant reaction. It hurt Denbow as much as the other guy.
78pony
Heisman

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:13 pm

Let me be the 1st to say, that mean green fan is full of krapp. He is not smart enough, to disguise that back handed compliment barrage he posted.
ALEX LIFESON
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SmooBoy » Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:19 pm

meangreenfan wrote:I noticed on the broadcast you guys have a lot of transfer scholarship players like 21 or more? Is that because you can't recruit the type of player you need from the Dallas area high schools you need? Seems like there would be a lot of great high school players in Texas that would be worth giving a scholarship to. The issue as I see it is will all of these players who are strangers to the program be able to provide adequate chemistry?

Hi pot, meet kettle.

NEWSFLASH: ntsu and SMU don't get the pick of the litter on big time recruits - those tend to go to aggy, tu, tceh, baylor, and even froggy. I assume you are trolling, but regardless, enjoy the game. I do like watching Fine and think he's a very talented QB. Here's hoping for no injuries and a pony win.
SmooBoy

Postby meangreenfan » Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:56 pm

ALEX LIFESON wrote:Let me be the 1st to say, that mean green fan is full of krapp. He is not smart enough, to disguise that back handed compliment barrage he posted.

Not true. All questions were sincere. Sorry if it came across that way. This is going to be a very tough match and UNT fans know it.
meangreenfan
Recruit

Postby PonyTime » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:27 pm

meangreenfan wrote:Hi guys - hey that was a nice performance against Arkansas State College you had. Congrats. That was one of the biggest wins you have had in quite a while. Good for you.

Very back-handed indeed.

"Quite a while" must mean something different up there in Denton. We knocked off the #17 ranked team in the AP poll just 5 games ago (by 14 points, if I recall).

Which ranked team did North Texas State knock off last year?
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyboy » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:31 pm

meangreenfan wrote:Hi guys - hey that was a nice performance against Arkansas State College you had. Congrats. That was one of the biggest wins you have had in quite a while.

We beat #17 Houston four games ago.
ponyboy

Postby crazy horse » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:31 pm

meangreenfan wrote:Hi guys - hey that was a nice performance against Arkansas State College you had. Congrats. That was one of the biggest wins you have had in quite a while. Good for you. Buchele looks like a decent improvement over Hicks. Sonny looks like he has lost some weight as well. I noticed on the broadcast you guys have a lot of transfer scholarship players like 21 or more? Is that because you can't recruit the type of player you need from the Dallas area high schools you need? Seems like there would be a lot of great high school players in Texas that would be worth giving a scholarship to. The issue as I see it is will all of these players who are strangers to the program be able to provide adequate chemistry? Time will tell certainly but the big big win over Arkansas State College certainly seems to support that it was a good plan after all.

One question, if Buchele goes down who would be the number two quarterback? Also is it safe to finally say that player Trevor Denbow is dirty? I mean for goodness sakes he got kicked out for targeting against us last year and did again against Arkansas State the other night. Anyone know for how long he is out? Sonny said last year it was a tough call but fool me once?

I expect we will have a very solid crowd as every year. Looking forward to a good clean game with no injuries. I think you will be very impressed with our QB Mason Fine as he is a fun player to watch.

This is a good series for the both of us and I for one hope that it will continue on. Our fans can be found over at Gomeangreen.com and we will welcome you with open arms. Go Mean Green!

"That was one of the biggest wins you have had in quite a while." >> Better than victories over #17 Houston and Bowl bound Tulane last year? Or #11 Houston in 2016? Its certainly the biggest win THIS year thus far.

"Buchele looks like a decent improvement over Hicks." >> Hicks was just as likely to win a game for you (Navy) as he was to give it away (Cincinnati). He was good QB, but easily spooked in the pocket, having a knack for turning into the opposing rushers instead of away from them. Buechele is a major upgrade, and will only get better with more snaps. The OL has also improved and increased depth.

"I noticed on the broadcast you guys have a lot of transfer scholarship players like 21 or more? Is that because you can't recruit the type of player you need from the Dallas area high schools you need? Seems like there would be a lot of great high school players in Texas that would be worth giving a scholarship to. The issue as I see it is will all of these players who are strangers to the program be able to provide adequate chemistry?" >>Many players are DALLAS ATHLETES who went out of state originally. Shane Buechele - Arlington Lamar (UT); Brandon Stephens - Plano (UCLA); Zach Abercrumbia - Dallas Skyline (Rice); Chevin Calloway - Dallas Bishop Dunne (Ark) - The staff recruited them previously, and there are existing relationships with players currently on the team. Would it be better to have players in your program for 5 years? Probably. But when you need immediate talent, and the transfer rules allow, its a great way to add some very good talent to your roster. Dallas is one of the toughest cities in the country to recruit because so many teams are actively recruiting here. SMU will get what they need - AND benefit from those few that get away, but need/want to come home.

If they have family emergencies in Dallas, AND want a good education, where else would they go?

"Trevor Denbow is dirty?" >> If only the zebras would call targeting consistently, there would be a whole lot more "dirty" players.

"I expect we will have a very solid crowd as every year. Looking forward to a good clean game with no injuries" >> I expect about the same amount of UNT fans as always. North Texas usually fills the East side of the stadium.

"I think you will be very impressed with our QB Mason Fine as he is a fun player to watch." >> Mason is a good QB, no disagreement here.

"This is a good series for the both of us and I for one hope that it will continue on." >> SMU leads the series 10-4 since UNT made the move to major college. If the TCU series were to end, I would prefer the UNT series to continue. If TCU stays on the schedule, I would prefer scheduling universities like Duke, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, or our SWC rivals, Arkansas, Texas, Tech, or Baylor.
"Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."

New post Rhett Lashlee - College Football's Coach Of The Year
crazy horse
All-American

Postby SmooBoy » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:45 pm

NTSU's W/L/T rivalry series with Ponies stands at 6-31-1 as of now.
SmooBoy

Postby HubbaHubba » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:46 pm

This game is the NTSU Superbowl. We get nothing out of playing them. When we win, it is not a quality win. We would just as likely go down in any rankings as up. If we happen to lose, it is seen as losing to a FCS team even though technically they're FBS. They travel with some fans since they're close and what else is there to do in Denton. Any P5 team would be better or, failing that, an old SWC rival. Never look forward to playing the green weenies.
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:51 pm

Like it or not, at the level of football SMU is currently playing. UNT is a nice local rivalry game. They had a really good season for them last year with a convincing win against SMU and a bowl game. They haven't had many better seasons than that in their FBS history, so the bottom line is that beating them would be a good win for SMU, even though it wouldn't be recognized as a good win by anyone following higher caliber college football.

The FACT of the matter is that most public schools (certainly our former SWC mates) have passed us by and we are now competing more at the level of the Arky States and North Texas States of the college football world. Sad but true. Hopefully, Sonny can change that in the next couple of years and get SMU to the level that Houston and UCF have been playing at.
Charleston Pony

Postby HubbaHubba » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:13 pm

I get it. We need to win consistently before we're released from playing the dregs of the FBS. Living outside of Texas for a while now and Ark State and LA Tech are at least recognizable schools around the country. NTSU remains a nobody. It is more a tier 3 FBS than a tier 2 FBS school. I guess we're cursed by them being so close.
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby 82Pony » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:57 pm

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 189793001/

NTSU is currently ranked 46th. SMU is ranked 78th. We will see who's better on Saturday. Just win baby.
82Pony
Varsity

Postby sbsmith » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:11 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:Like it or not, at the level of football SMU is currently playing. UNT is a nice local rivalry game.

It's not a rivalry game until the fans decide it's one and right now neither fanbase can even be bothered to sell out their little 30K seat stadiums for the game.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:02 pm

If you spend three minutes perusing the GMG board, it will confirm everything you ever suspected about the value of a UNT diploma.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Next

Return to Football