PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

A new low: SMU & Evansville sign home-and-home

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: A new low: SMU & Evansville sign home-and-home

Postby East Coast Mustang » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:35 am

The Falcon wrote:I agree with Ponyboy also and with Charleston in that Evansville has a fairly good basketball pedigree.

No NCAA Tournament appearances in the past twenty years
No NIT appearances in the past quarter century

They were pretty good in D2 a long time ago, though.

And to ponyfan’s point, I’m not sucking the fun out of things, it’s our head coach who has run this program into the ground who is sucking the fun out.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Lebanese4Life » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:16 am

mustangxc wrote:
Lebanese4Life wrote:
ponyboy wrote:We have got to be some of the biggest whiners in history. Wow

you've got to be the most delusional..

Not sure you know what that word means. He is the biggest conformist, but not delusional.

delusional: characterized by or holding idiosyncratic beliefs or impressions that are contradicted by reality or rational argument, typically as a symptom of mental disorder.

I think my word choice was right on the money.
Lebanese4Life
Hall of Famer

Postby mustangxc » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:42 am

He is happy with the status quo. That is not delusional, that is conforming. Sorry, but you affirmed you do not understand the meaning of the word. That, or you are delusional lol!
mustangxc

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:10 pm

mustangxc wrote:He is happy with the status quo. That is not delusional, that is conforming. Sorry, but you affirmed you do not understand the meaning of the word. That, or you are delusional lol!

The post that triggered the response was about our fans whining. Given the topic of this thread "Evansville home/home series reaching an all-time low" I would agree that it was hardly delusional to call out the whiners. SMU bball in the post death penalty era has seen some incredible lows and agreeing to this series doesn't even come close IMO. We have a history of inviting inferior teams to play us at home and then losing those games. That, and playing games in front of a few hundred fans with an atmosphere that feels more like a scrimmage where you can hear the guys sneaks squeaking with every cut...suffice it to say SMU bball has experienced plenty of lows.
Last edited by Charleston Pony on Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charleston Pony

Postby Mustangsabu » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:06 pm

This thread is so ridiculous. You’re mad about a series with Evansville? Really? Because other schools don’t schedule series’ with teams they’ll probably beat? You may have only come on board when LB started winning but at least pretend like you understand college sports.

The delusional on this board are those that thought LB had us where we were going to stay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Pony ^ » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:38 am

Mustangsabu wrote:This thread is so ridiculous. You’re mad about a series with Evansville? Really? Because other schools don’t schedule series’ with teams they’ll probably beat? You may have only come on board when LB started winning but at least pretend like you understand college sports.

The delusional on this board are those that thought LB had us where we were going to stay.

Not mad as every team schedules cupcakes. Mad at the fact we are going TO Evansville. That is a joke. This game coupled in with the fact that we are playing literally the 2 worst teams in the SEC. Our schedule is already horrendous and Hart is celebrating as if that is a big deal.

Also, the fact that we advertised this means we have nothing else up our sleeve. This was our last 'marquee' matchup announced in our OOC as Hart would say. If our schedule comes out and we are playing UNC & Kentucky then I will gladly come back and admit I was wrong. But, I'm pretty sure 10 more cupcakes will be on the schedule when it comes out.
Pony ^

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:39 pm

Does it occur to anyone that Indiana and Illinois are pretty good bball recruiting grounds and that it's not such a bad thing to have your program seen in those parts of the country?
Charleston Pony

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:04 pm

Mustangsabu wrote:This thread is so ridiculous. You’re mad about a series with Evansville? Really? Because other schools don’t schedule series’ with teams they’ll probably beat? You may have only come on board when LB started winning but at least pretend like you understand college sports.

UNT got a home and home with Oklahoma that starts in Denton, and we’re heading up to freaking Evansville.

Loser mentalities like yours are what’s wrong with SMU athletics
East Coast Mustang

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:08 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:Does it occur to anyone that Indiana and Illinois are pretty good bball recruiting grounds and that it's not such a bad thing to have your program seen in those parts of the country?

Schools in Indiana and Illinois that I’d rather have a home and home series with before friggin’ Evansville:

Illinois
Indiana
Purdue
Notre Dame
Northwestern
DePaul
Butler
Loyola
Probably Valpo
East Coast Mustang

Postby Pony ^ » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:21 am

Charleston Pony wrote:Does it occur to anyone that Indiana and Illinois are pretty good bball recruiting grounds and that it's not such a bad thing to have your program seen in those parts of the country?

let's be honest, the type of recruits we want are not going to an Evansville game and going "Oh wow, who's the SMU team from Dallas...I think I want to go there"
Pony ^

Postby redpony » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:28 am

CP- agree that is a good area to recruit from. Problem here is that our bball coach went to the JJ school of recruiting. In other words- he can't be bothered to recruit.
redpony

Postby EastStang » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:24 pm

Evansville is in the Missouri Valley Conference, so when we play them we get some RPI from other teams they play in the conference due to some bizarre math. Anyway, MVC has some good teams, but we don't want to play them and possibly lose, so we play the not so great team and get some RPI points if we win. Not a great reason, but a reason nonetheless.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

A new low: SMU & Evansville sign home-and-home

Postby smupony94 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:48 pm

Top 302 RPI school New Orleans coming to Moody
smupony94

Postby Pony ^ » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:56 pm

smupony94 wrote:Top 302 RPI school New Orleans coming to Moody

Marquee!