PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Tough Times in Arkansas

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Tough Times in Arkansas

Postby mrydel » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:32 am

The Arkansas Democrat Gazette sports reporter who has been the head sports guy for around 40 years was direct today in saying the only way UA grows is with Starkel. He openly states that Hicks should no longer be considered although he will most likely get some playing time.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:36 am

Nacho wrote:Yes the Peter Principle has arrived at Chad's door.

It was well in place here for anybody paying attention!
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Nacho » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:44 am

Chad will again make someone a good offensive coordinator.
Nacho

Postby leopold » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:47 am

gostangs wrote:You dont understand. Decent recruiter will cut it in the big 12. Decent recruiter will get you fired in the SEC.

DING DING DING
WE HAVE A WINNER

Morris' problem, and I've said this multiple times with no issues with the guy, is that he's stepped into the largest arms race in all of college sports, against giants in his field. Yes, he can recruit, and the hogs need to give him time to see if he's the man, but it doesn't matter when he's going up against Saban, Fisher, and the whole lot of them.

And for the record, hell, he's already lost his first major recruiting battle and that was for Buechele. SB goes to Arky and they are 2-0, they've blown out Portland State rather than looking anemic against them, and people are warming to him, dreaming of a bowl game.

Morris hasn't shown he can out X-and-O the best and the brightest, and the kid genius OC is about to step into a murder's row of angry, pride-hurt SEC teams. No offense meant when I say

Dude is in trouble this year.
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Nacho » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:55 am

Don't know how he can withstand loses to CSU and San Jose.
Nacho

Postby gohogs14 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:38 am

leopold wrote:
gostangs wrote:You dont understand. Decent recruiter will cut it in the big 12. Decent recruiter will get you fired in the SEC.

DING DING DING
WE HAVE A WINNER

Morris' problem, and I've said this multiple times with no issues with the guy, is that he's stepped into the largest arms race in all of college sports, against giants in his field. Yes, he can recruit, and the hogs need to give him time to see if he's the man, but it doesn't matter when he's going up against Saban, Fisher, and the whole lot of them.

And for the record, hell, he's already lost his first major recruiting battle and that was for Buechele. SB goes to Arky and they are 2-0, they've blown out Portland State rather than looking anemic against them, and people are warming to him, dreaming of a bowl game.

Morris hasn't shown he can out X-and-O the best and the brightest, and the kid genius OC is about to step into a murder's row of angry, pride-hurt SEC teams. No offense meant when I say

With how awful the Arkansas OL is I think no matter who the QB is the offense won’t be great, but Starkel moved the ball so much better than Hicks. I don’t think Hicks should take another snap this season.
gohogs14
Scout Team

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:40 am

leopold wrote:

DING DING DING
WE HAVE A WINNER

Time will tell (if he's given the time needed) because he certainly held his own going toe to toe with the big boys at Clemson. He was a big part of building that championship team they have
Charleston Pony

Postby mrydel » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:04 am

If given the chance I still think he can succeed at Arkansas. But not with Hicks. He has a young, dual, athletic QB coming up that could be his answer if he lasts long enough. He just needs to sit Hicks. Baby Jerry performed better (in camp) than did Hicks.
mrydel

Postby JasonB » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:04 am

I really don't care now how he does. All i know is that we are better off. If CM was still here, we wouldn't have an IPF, and the team is much better now.
JasonB

Postby TidePony » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:28 am

Preach it!!!
TidePony
Hall of Famer

Postby CA Mustang » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:24 pm

mrydel wrote:The Arkansas Democrat Gazette sports reporter who has been the head sports guy for around 40 years was direct today in saying the only way UA grows is with Starkel. He openly states that Hicks should no longer be considered although he will most likely get some playing time.

If growth is what is needed, then why alternate between two grad transfers? Choose your best underclass QB and allow the team to grow with them. Grad transfers are for plug & play, not 2-3 years in the future.
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby gohogs14 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:30 pm

CA Mustang wrote:
mrydel wrote:The Arkansas Democrat Gazette sports reporter who has been the head sports guy for around 40 years was direct today in saying the only way UA grows is with Starkel. He openly states that Hicks should no longer be considered although he will most likely get some playing time.

If growth is what is needed, then why alternate between two grad transfers? Choose your best underclass QB and allow the team to grow with them. Grad transfers are for plug & play, not 2-3 years in the future.

If this was Starkel’s last year I might agree, but he does have all of next year still left so getting experience this year might help. I wouldn’t want to waste a redshirt for a season that will be a mess anyway.
gohogs14
Scout Team

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:30 pm

CA Mustang wrote:

In today's game a stud frosh can play in 4 games and still get a RS. I thought Chad would give some young guys some exposure in last week's game. There won't be many opportunities to play them in games when the hogs won't be totally overmatched.
Charleston Pony

Postby mrydel » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:36 pm

Growth does not just come from the QB position. There is not one returning starter from last year on the Arkansas offense. They need to get experience and maturity. If Hicks is going to produce 3 and outs they cannot make progress. Starkel can help them get some consistency and ergo, growth.
mrydel

Postby CA Mustang » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:39 pm

gohogs14 wrote:
CA Mustang wrote:

If this was Starkel’s last year I might agree, but he does have all of next year still left so getting experience this year might help. I wouldn’t want to waste a redshirt for a season that will be a mess anyway.

I didn't realize Starkel has two years left. In that case, let him play and give Hicks a clipboard.
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Football