PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Brandon Stephens

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Brandon Stephens

Postby leopold » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:59 pm

Was it Stephens guarding Busey on Saturday? Because Busey didn't do squat, and this is UNT's version of Proche. Even the UNT boards were talking about how our DB was 'on his hip all night.' Busey got shut down, and while I'm sure Stephens had help, I do remember him making a couple of plays on the ball.

One of the problems of reading how well he did that night was the fact that, officially, Fine only targeted him twice. Was that due to the pressure brought about by the Dline, or Stephens coverage, or the playcalling, or perhaps all three? Can anyone who was there and had a close look at it give a little more insight? Do we have a potential 'shut down CB?'
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: Brandon Stephens

Postby malonish » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:07 pm

Either way it worked. Let's keep it going. Shut down half the field.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby AusTxPony » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:30 pm

Kane's defensive strategy was brilliant. Force them to run, shut down Fine. Just need some better tackling in the back. Stephens speed is great and he saved a sure TD with that. Smart change of position by the Staff.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby The PonyGrad » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:10 pm

He is tied for 1st in passes defended in FBS.
Go Ponies!!
Beat whoever it is we are playing!!

@PonyGrad
The PonyGrad
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby CJPONY16 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:02 pm

leopold wrote:Was it Stephens guarding Busey on Saturday? Because Busey didn't do squat, and this is UNT's version of Proche. Even the UNT boards were talking about how our DB was 'on his hip all night.' Busey got shut down, and while I'm sure Stephens had help, I do remember him making a couple of plays on the ball.

One of the problems of reading how well he did that night was the fact that, officially, Fine only targeted him twice. Was that due to the pressure brought about by the Dline, or Stephens coverage, or the playcalling, or perhaps all three? Can anyone who was there and had a close look at it give a little more insight? Do we have a potential 'shut down CB?'

Stephens was generally the one guarding Bussey. He did a fantastic job of sticking to him. The other part of the equation was that the pass rush wasnt giving Fine time to go through his reads. That's probably why Bussey wasnt targeted as much.
CJPONY16
Junior Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:47 pm

Don't know how much time he spent at DB at UCLA but I agree it appears to have been a good decision to have him come here to play on defense.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby dalpony » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:30 pm

0 time at DB - he was strictly a RB at UCLA
dalpony
Varsity

Postby mr. pony » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:20 pm

He was a beast RB at Plano High.
mr. pony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU15 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:36 pm

Apparently he’s still being listed as RB too
"And as long as they're keeping score, there will always be people who try to do everything they can to put up more points than the other guy." -Brent Musberger
SMU15
Varsity

Postby leopold » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:56 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:Don't know how much time he spent at DB at UCLA but I agree it appears to have been a good decision to have him come here to play on defense.

The TV announcer suggested that he literally just showed up at our doorstep and said "Can you use me?" and the coaches response was "Not a RB, but we need help in the DB." He said sure, and off we go. Looking at the schedule, I'm not sure that there is a much better WR we face than Bussey - maybe Reagor at TCU, but for the record Bussey is bigger.

If we do, indeed, have a competent Shut Down CB, one who can reasonably be expected to cover the best WR on their team, then our entire defensive scheme changes. With our platoon of D linemen, potential A list talent at LB, and slightly above average talent and depth in the rest of the defensive backfield, then Kane's vision for a 'shut them down' defense could be fully realised.

HALLELUJAH
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby 78pony » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:16 pm

Corner is getting better. BS is a work in progress with huge upside as could be seen Saturday night. Potential to be playing on Sunday. Way too many misses on textbook tackles in the LB corp. D. Scott has elevated his game a bunch, and the way he was used in AR and Saturday is really exciting.
78pony
Heisman

Postby well travelled pony » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:02 am

78pony wrote:Corner is getting better. BS is a work in progress with huge upside as could be seen Saturday night. Potential to be playing on Sunday. Way too many misses on textbook tackles in the LB corp. D. Scott has elevated his game a bunch, and the way he was used in AR and Saturday is really exciting.

Scott is a stud. Somehow they need D Gary more involved too. Those two should be killing it up front.

Go Ponies!
well travelled pony
All-American

Return to Football