PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Ben Hicks transfers to Hogs

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Ben Hicks transfers to Hogs

Postby okcponyfan » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:24 pm

dalpony wrote:My 2 cents for whatever it’s worth, is that Brown will be redshirted this year (baring injury to Shane)

not sure if the ESPN3 announcers had any info but they mentioned that Brown would only play 4 games, that is why some senior came in on the last drive
okcponyfan
Varsity

Postby PonyTime » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:49 pm

Pony Up wrote:
ponyte wrote:I am wondering why the fascination with Hicks and the Beloved Razorbacks? Both should be in our rear veiw mirror.

No kidding. We're 2-0.
Best of luck to Hicks, but Buechele is who has me fired up.

Arkansas: From 1918 to 1991 they were our conference-mates. In my opinion, they destroyed the Southwest Conference when they went for the TV money grab of the SEC. That is reason enough to hate Arkansas.

Coach Morris: Mr. “Gotta lock arms. Full-Tilt Boogie" promised a lot in his press conference when he was hired and delivered little. Jumping ship before he finished the job and then trying to flip any good recruit we had was the icing on the cake.

Hicks: Wish him nothing but the best.

BTW - there are many hate on JJ threads out there - I like that all of the Arky and CM hate is in one long thread. No reason to hate on Hicks.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby gohogs14 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:38 pm

PonyTime wrote:
Pony Up wrote:
ponyte wrote:I am wondering why the fascination with Hicks and the Beloved Razorbacks? Both should be in our rear veiw mirror.

No kidding. We're 2-0.
Best of luck to Hicks, but Buechele is who has me fired up.

Arkansas: From 1918 to 1991 they were our conference-mates. In my opinion, they destroyed the Southwest Conference when they went for the TV money grab of the SEC. That is reason enough to hate Arkansas.

I think it was more of why a lot of Big 12 teams don't like being in that conference either - what daddy Texas wants they get. Being the only non-Texas team in the SWC didn't help either. It probably would have folded not long after regardless. But the money definitely helps, our facilities are miles ahead of what they were back then.
gohogs14
Scout Team

Postby Nacho » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:18 pm

arkansas and tamu both had to get out from under ut
Nacho
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby peruna81 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:24 pm

Nacho wrote:arkansas and tamu both had to get out from under ut

^This^
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby docabel » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:32 pm

okcponyfan wrote:
dalpony wrote:My 2 cents for whatever it’s worth, is that Brown will be redshirted this year (baring injury to Shane)

not sure if the ESPN3 announcers had any info but they mentioned that Brown would only play 4 games, that is why some senior came in on the last drive

Wasn't it Green who came in on the last couple of drives? Think he is a RS Freshman. Interesting trivia = he is Trent Green's (former NFL QB) son.
docabel
Heisman

Postby Caballo » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:33 am

And Nebraska, and also Colorado.
Caballo
All-American

Postby mustangxc » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:29 am

Caballo wrote:

And Nebraska, and also Colorado.

Poor Missouri
mustangxc

Postby Pony ^ » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:24 am

And literally all of those schools have been horrendous ever since
Pony ^

Postby PonyTime » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:47 am

Really? UT won 3 conference titles in the last 18 years of the SWC- A&M and Arkansas in particular dominated at the very end of the conference.

SWC Football Champions:

1995: Texas
1994: Rice
1993: A&M
1992: A&M
1991: A&M
1990: Texas
1989: Arkansas
1988: Arkansas
1987: A&M
1986: A&M
1985: A&M
1984: SMU/Houston
1983: Texas
1982: SMU
1981: SMU
1980: Baylor
1979: Houston/Arkansas
1978: Houston

The team that ended up benefiting the most from the SWC breakup: TCU, who last won a championship in the 50s and then re-gained relevancy in their conference hopping period.

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mrydel » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:32 am

Follow the money. Broyles was visionary.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby PonyTime » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:52 am

mrydel wrote:Follow the money. Broyles was visionary.

Agree - but these programs traded wining conference championships and being in the shadow of a mediocre Texas program for a pile of $$$ and being in the shadow of Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, LSU, etc. Perhaps no team has fallen more from national prestige post SWC than Arkansas (taking SMU out of the conversation here). And don't get me started on the Arkansas Basketball free fall.

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby gohogs14 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:36 pm

PonyTime wrote:
mrydel wrote:Follow the money. Broyles was visionary.

Agree - but these programs traded wining conference championships and being in the shadow of a mediocre Texas program for a pile of $$$ and being in the shadow of Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, LSU, etc. Perhaps no team has fallen more from national prestige post SWC than Arkansas (taking SMU out of the conversation here). And don't get me started on the Arkansas Basketball free fall.

Arkansas basketball won a national championship four years after leaving the SWC, I'm not sure conference affiliation has anything to do with why it's been mediocre the last 20 years.

Football hasn't been as good as it was but has won the SEC West three times and went to a Sugar Bowl which is arguably more than Ole Miss, Mississippi State, South Carolina, Vandy, Kentucky, Missouri and even A&M (so far) have done.

There are several smaller sports no one cares about that have had a lot of success since moving to the SEC and the baseball team nearly won it all a few years ago. But obviously football is what matters most.
gohogs14
Scout Team

Postby leopold » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:17 pm

PonyTime wrote:

The team that ended up benefiting the most from the SWC breakup: TCU, who last won a championship in the 50s and then re-gained relevancy in their conference hopping period.

Benefit my hairy armpit.

TCU got dumped like the other 3 of us but woke up that moment and decided to compete. TCU didn't benefit from squat, they LEARNED from it. HUGE DIFFERENCE.
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyTime » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:01 pm

leopold wrote:
PonyTime wrote:

Benefit my hairy armpit.

TCU got dumped like the other 3 of us but woke up that moment and decided to compete. TCU didn't benefit from squat, they LEARNED from it. HUGE DIFFERENCE.

If the SWC still existed, do you really think TCU would be nationally relevant? I don't think so.

It was the wake up call that they needed. Jimmy Copeland and Co. apparently slept through that wake up call.

By all means - they are in a better place now because of the breakup of the SWC. Not saying that they did nothing to get there - but it wouldn't have happened otherwise.

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Around the Hilltop