PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Emmanuel Bandoumel

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Emmanuel Bandoumel

Postby Terry Webster » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:47 pm

Reported somewhere on twitter than the ncaa has approved his waiver and he gets 3 years eligibility.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: Emmanuel Bandoumel

Postby LA_Mustang » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:54 pm

Shocking, and I like it.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponyboy » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:54 pm

Excellent
ponyboy

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:18 pm

Is he any good? Weak offer list and his JUCO stats don’t exactly jump off the screen
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby smupony94 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:20 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:Is he any good? Weak offer list and his JUCO stats don’t exactly jump off the screen

Three years for Jank to develop him
smupony94

Postby sadderbudweiser » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:03 pm

smupony94 wrote:
East Coast Mustang wrote:Is he any good? Weak offer list and his JUCO stats don’t exactly jump off the screen

Three years for Jank to develop him

So Bandoumel is headed back to Junior College next year?
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby mustangxc » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:07 am

That is great news! Wasn't the uncertainty regarding his eligibility one of the main factors for him being lightly recruited?
mustangxc

Postby JasonB » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:59 am

A 50-40-80 line isn't a bad thing to bring in on a team with no outside shooters.
JasonB

Postby Swamp Gas » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:55 am

JasonB wrote:

A 50-40-80 line isn't a bad thing to bring in on a team with no outside shooters.

Very true
Swamp Gas
Junior Varsity

Postby The Falcon » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:36 pm

mustangxc wrote:That is great news! Wasn't the uncertainty regarding his eligibility one of the main factors for him being lightly recruited?

This was the reason given by a couple of sports blogs when he was being recruited.
He was ranked as the 6th best player coming out of high school in Canada.

I also like Jason B quoting his shooting percentages as 50-40-80. He also played
point guard in high school.
The Falcon
All-American

Postby JasonB » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:22 am

A lot of focus is being given to the A&M transfer and when he gets eligible for inside play. I don't think that is the appropriate area to focus on.

The change in the 3 point line changes the metrics significantly in college basketball.

If a player shoots around 38% from three, you want them taking threes all the time. The long-range/mid-range jumper is devalued because you want players to either take a three or drive to the rim for an easy bucket and a possible and-one.

If the increased distance in the three point line drops a player's shooting percentage by just 2 or 3 percentage points, it changes the equation completely. For example, if Ethan shot 36% from 3. Previously, you might want your center to defend that shot. If his percentage drops to 33% or less because of the change, now I give him that shot all day long. And I would love for him to step just inside the three point line and hit that long range two at a 38% clip. This will result in Ethan being left alone at distance in man-to-man with an extra defender just hanging out in the lane, or a switch to a very soft zone packing the inside.

This rule change is really going to separate haves and have nots this year. If a team can't hit 3s at a reasonable clip, defenses are going to pack it in and really slow the game down. On the other hand, if you have a couple of three point shooters and combine that with athletic wing play, and then some play in the post, those offenses will become even more dynamic than in the past.

I'll continue to argue that Hunt and Mike give us some really nice play from the wings to take advantage of the extra space on the floor. But we need some players to stretch the floor. We have a lot of players who were borderline effective from 3 last year; if you expect a decrease in shooting percentages because of the increased distance of the line, that spells trouble for us offensively.

Somehow, we need to find 3 players who can hit 38% of their three point shots. Bandoumel is the only player we have right now who potentially fits that bill.
JasonB

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:01 pm

I agree that long range 3 point shooters are really going to be valuable. I lived in Durham when Bobby Hurley was a frosh and did not have 3 point range from the old distance. He came back soph year with increased range and the rest was history. I seem to recall Nic Moore improving significantly as a long range shooter here. Let's just hope with all these new guards we have a couple of gunners who can spread the floor.
Charleston Pony

Postby horsemanx » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:04 pm

The best way to make more three pointers is to take more three pointers.
An object at rest cannot be stopped!
horsemanx
All-American

Postby PonySnob » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:25 pm

horsemanx wrote:The best way to make more three pointers is to take more three pointers.

Shooters shoot
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Return to Basketball