PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Officiating

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Officiating

Postby ponyte » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:17 am

I feel we had the usual officiating we have come to expect from the WAC, CUSA and AAC. Its not the old SWC days.

And others noticed that AAC officals need to do their homework a tad better concerning the rules

https://thespun.com/college-football/sm ... o-overtime
ponyte
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Officiating

Postby leopold » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:48 am

The officiating stunk, and I say that acknowledging we absolutely benefitted from some calls.

If they want to say they are P6 then they need to get P6 officials.
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyboy » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:59 am

What was Sonny all over the officials for early in the game? Got a flag for it
ponyboy

Postby docabel » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:04 pm

ponyboy wrote:What was Sonny all over the officials for early in the game? Got a flag for it

He told the officials before the game that tulsa was going to be barking fake snap counts while on defense, and despite the heads up they got away with it 2-3 times.
docabel
Heisman

Postby ponyboy » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:13 pm

Oh, ok. The Tulsa lineman named Player seemed to really enjoy it when Sonny got the flag. He walked slightly towards Dykes and was clapping as if to taunt him.
ponyboy

Postby The_Sheaux_Pony » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:19 pm

Did anyone else notice the “hurt” Tulsa player near the midfield sideline who had multiple players and coaches visibly tell him to go down to avoid a penalty? It was in the 3rd quarter. I wonder if there is video evidence. That’d make a great gif.
The_Sheaux_Pony

Postby Nacho » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:34 pm

Without question Tulsa has the biggest crybaby fans. Wah wah wah.
Nacho

Postby Three Putt » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:38 pm

A college official friend of mine told me the crew on the field and replay missed the call on the Tulsa kickoff going into the end zone for a touchdown. He said that an untouched kick by the receiving team that goes into the end zone should have been a touchback even if it was touched legally by the kicking team.
More fodder for Coach Dykes to bring up to the conference office.
Three Putt
Junior Varsity

Postby Pony64 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:40 pm

Three Putt wrote:A college official friend of mine told me the crew on the field and replay missed the call on the Tulsa kickoff going into the end zone for a touchdown. He said that an untouched kick by the receiving team that goes into the end zone should have been a touchback even if it was touched legally by the kicking team.

Unbelievable
Pony64
Varsity

Postby tristatecoog » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:48 pm

Everyone treated that like a successful onside kick only touched by Tulsa. Seemed to be first touched around the one yard line and then in the end zone.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby PoconoPony » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:39 pm

ponyboy wrote:Oh, ok. The Tulsa lineman named Player seemed to really enjoy it when Sonny got the flag. He walked slightly towards Dykes and was clapping as if to taunt him.

Quite an acting job. Suddenly falls to the ground and fakes leg issues taking up much time. He was helped off the field in bad shape; miraculously came back into the game after one play.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PoconoPony » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:45 pm

Three Putt wrote:A college official friend of mine told me the crew on the field and replay missed the call on the Tulsa kickoff going into the end zone for a touchdown. He said that an untouched kick by the receiving team that goes into the end zone should have been a touchback even if it was touched legally by the kicking team.

I totally agree with your official friend that that play should have been ruled a touch back. I was very surprised that the announcing crew did not make an issue and immediately jumped on the live recoverable ball theory. I could not see where the ball was touched before crossing the goal line. I posted earlier that I could not find the difference between a ball kicked into the end zone and not returned and this situation where the ball was bounced into the end zone and should have been an automatic touch back if the ball were not fielded and a return attempted.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Return to Football