PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Week 6 Bowl Predictions

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Week 6 Bowl Predictions

Postby peruna81 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:21 am

Pony ^ wrote:Cotton or bust. Longgggg road but if the ponies managed to go undefeated and win the conference, we'd most likely have 3 top 25 victories and Boise St would have 0. Surely we would jump them

Not entirely sure that would happen even if both ran the table. Boise has more skins on the wall from years past, and we are the newcomers.

And don't call me SURELY...
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby CA Mustang » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:35 am

Pony ^ wrote:Cotton or bust. Longgggg road but if the ponies managed to go undefeated and win the conference, we'd most likely have 3 top 25 victories and Boise St would have 0. Surely we would jump them

Yes, it is a long road from now till then.

As for top 25 wins - My manager and some co-workers are in Boise so I hear about BSU regularly. They are counting the Florida State game was a win over a ranked opponent. Not questioning the win, but who the hell ranked Florida State before the season?

peruna81 wrote:Not entirely sure that would happen even if both ran the table. Boise has more skins on the wall from years past, and we are the newcomers.

That's irrelevant. Based upon conference strength and schedules, SMU would get the nod.
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby SMUstang07 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:39 am

There is no doubt an undefeated AAC team would get in over Boise this year since the resume would be much better. When you both have a loss then it gets trickier.
SMUstang07
Varsity

Postby indianmustang » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:51 am

dmn has a article on it today
Mustang from India
indianmustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Pony ^ » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:29 am

I'm willing to bet the Cotton Bowl committee would much rather have a local Dallas team with a hell of a story too
Pony ^

Postby White Helmet » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:47 am

Im sure the bowl that gets us will be thrilled with the 1500 showing up...
White Helmet
Hall of Famer

Postby mustangxc » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:24 pm

We had more like 8,000 in Birmingham so if we make it to a great bowl I have no doubt we will show up.
mustangxc

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:52 pm

White Helmet wrote:Im sure the bowl that gets us will be thrilled with the 1500 showing up...

C'mon for us to get to this would be 13-0. Birmingham was well attended, Frisco was well attended and Armed Forces Bowl was extremely well attended and we were mediocre 7-5 no real wins. In this hypothetical, which without beating Memphis and Houston on the road, I'm going to assume we come in at 9-3, we would easily get 30-40k fans at the Cotton bowl. Casual non-SMU fans would show to watch a local team, that got the DP ( :roll: ) and is #11 in the country for first time for 30 years, would show up.

However, realistically, and until we see a different game against Temple and Houston, I think we will lose against Memphis. I would have a stronger hopes if we played them in Dallas but that is a tall order late in the season and with us starting to get injuries. Anybody else feel differently?
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby AusTxPony » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:05 pm

TULSA was a nice big gut check. So I don't look ahead now. However, if we were undefeated winning the AAC, I can feel certain SMU would be in the Cotton Bowl assuming SMU would have beaten 3 ranked teams at that point. Attendance has nothing to do with it. The CFP ranking is the final word.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby leopold » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:53 pm

One thing that isn't directly related to us but may have big ramifications come bowl season:

The SEC usually puts about 10 or 11 into bowls. That isn't going to happen this year.

- Missouri is ineligible for bowls and is going to come out in the upper half of the SEC East.
- It's hard to see Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Ole Miss and Arkansas making a bowl at this point.
- South Carolina and possibly Kentucky are on the fence right now.
- It's very possible they put two teams in the CFP

With 8 teams rather than, say, 11 playing in bowls and a top heavy crowd that will open up some more respectable bowls playing P5 teams. A good example of this is the Liberty Bowl playing against a Big XII team. Here you have a respectable bowl in a football friendly town playing somebody we actually care about - not a bad opportunity if there.

God knows the bowl situation is always fluid, but here is another example of things that could break our way come December.
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby leopold » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:57 pm

SMUstang07 wrote:There is no doubt an undefeated AAC team would get in over Boise this year since the resume would be much better. When you both have a loss then it gets trickier.

Well, Boise better be ready this week because they've got a decent Hawaii team coming to town. UH is 4-1 with a win over Arizona, so I don't expect them to just fall over.

C'mooooonnnnn Rainbow Warriors
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:28 pm

Will be a heck of an accomplishment for any G5 team to go undefeated and if anyone does, they will deserve a place at the big boys' table
Charleston Pony

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:37 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:Will be a heck of an accomplishment for any G5 team to go undefeated and if anyone does, they will deserve a place at the big boys' table

Central Florida agrees.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby PNW_Stang » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:43 pm

SMUstang07 wrote:There is no doubt an undefeated AAC team would get in over Boise this year since the resume would be much better. When you both have a loss then it gets trickier.

Does ESPN have a tv deal with the MWC like it does the AAC? That’s what really matters. Which conference they can promote to make them more money.
PNW_Stang
Varsity

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:46 pm

PNW_Stang wrote:

Does ESPN have a tv deal with the MWC like it does the AAC? That’s what really matters. Which conference they can promote to make them more money.

Wasnt there are thing that says Boise get 50% of the total revenue from the TV deals for the conference?
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Football