PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Kickoff snafu

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Kickoff snafu

Postby Arkpony » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:02 pm

Terrible officiating
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby HubbaHubba » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:28 pm

Way to stir the pot Three Putt. Sure got my panties in a bunch. Now lets discuss the free shot on Page because they picked up the targeting flag and didn't call roughing the passer. Does the AAC make a press release about these things (blown calls)? Or do they screw us on national TV and later apologize in the shadows?
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby PonyRef » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:00 am

Should have weighed in on this earlier. This play has been quite the discussion in the officiating community. For those of you that read rule and correctly interpreted - big thumbs up. Touchback! Don't get me started on how replay didn't correct.

FYI, blocked FG that SMU recovered behind line of scrimmage in UNT game that they placed at 20. Botched as well. Should have been UNT ball at 7. Kick that never crosses line of scrimmage basically is running play - turnover on downs.
PonyRef
Scout Team

Postby peruna81 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:05 am

Questioning the call that an official makes is expected on both sides of the stripes...up to a point.

Questioning the integrity of the official is a no-go area.

In addition, when an official knows he or she has blown the call, he or she will normally take the initial heat...up to a point. When the coach or player decides to pile on, expect the flag.

The Refs were embarrassed on several occasions Saturday. Like every one of us, they were having a collectively bad afternoon, just like our team. I thought HCSD addressed the Tulsa line "false calls" appropriately, but like some folks that official had a short fuse. It only got worse with the targeting foul-up, and the kickoff screw up.

By that time, HCSD was in full volume, and the referees were trying to manage the disaster they had a hand in creating. They just stood there and got the dressing down. I almost felt bad for them.

We were fortunate, and our team had the maturity to go on to the next play. I am glad that the AAC office got the note, and the next crew will probably be more on the ball....yeah, that...
Last edited by peruna81 on Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyTime » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:23 am

It went into end zone - thus touchback.

If it does not go into the end zone - correct - live ball - as in the NFL...Barry Foster knows this rule well...

http://www.nfl.com/videos/pittsburgh-steelers/0ap3000000770370/Barry-Foster-forgets-to-field-kick-return
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMUstang07 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:56 am

mrydel wrote:And the officials not addressing the deceptive signals being done by Tulsa that Dykes told them to look for ending with 15 yards on Sonny for chastising them.

What deceptive signals are you referring to?
SMUstang07
Varsity

Postby ponyte » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:41 pm

AAC officials screwing up? Gee, its like we never have seen WAC, CUSA or other AAC officials screw up. One can expect the Sun to rise in the East, Fall to follow Summer and AAC officials getting rules completely and totally wrong. Rules, to AAC officials are nothing more than loose suggestions to be loosely interpreted on the field and never question.

And one may also wonder, Why didn't Soony challange the call if it was so bad?
ponyte

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:45 pm

ponyte wrote:AAC officials screwing up? Gee, its like we never have seen WAC, CUSA or other AAC officials screw up. One can expect the Sun to rise in the East, Fall to follow Summer and AAC officials getting rules completely and totally wrong. Rules, to AAC officials are nothing more than loose suggestions to be loosely interpreted on the field and never question.

And one may also wonder, Why didn't Soony challange the call if it was so bad?

He was probably too busy beating up the special teams coach.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyRef » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:51 pm

I'm guessing he was more focused on how his team messed up vs. if officials got it right. Maybe they ruled SMU did touch in field of play which would have made the call correct. (Of course, replay should have fixed). First thing I learned is coaches don't know rules other than basic stuff. But officials at this level have no excuse.
PonyRef
Scout Team

Postby mrydel » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:29 pm

SMUstang07 wrote:
mrydel wrote:And the officials not addressing the deceptive signals being done by Tulsa that Dykes told them to look for ending with 15 yards on Sonny for chastising them.

Dykes said that he informed the refs before the game of some pre-snap things that Tulsa was probably going to do. I do not know what they were. But whatever it was, it was happening and Dykes was not very happy about it as seen by his reaction.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Dukie » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:54 pm

mrydel wrote:
SMUstang07 wrote:

Dykes said that he informed the refs before the game of some pre-snap things that Tulsa was probably going to do. I do not know what they were. But whatever it was, it was happening and Dykes was not very happy about it as seen by his reaction.

It was about them barking out fake snap commands to get OL to jump.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby peruna81 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:24 pm

Clapping hands...you can see them trying to draw snap on the replays.

Boosh claps for snap. Officials were told, chose to ignore, thus the wrath. Embarrassment=penalty.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustang92 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:19 pm

Terry Webster wrote:Someone wrote that it should have been a touchback and that the refs messed it up? Is that true?

Sonny mentioned this last night on the Coach's show. The refs messed up. The conference confirmed it. It should have been a touchback. I was there and went back and watched it on TV as well. I was on board that we just screwed up, but it seems all those who have been saying the refs blew the call were correct.
mustang92
Scout Team

Previous

Return to Football