PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Art Briles

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Art Briles

Postby Topper » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:57 pm

Did anyone notice that he is already having trouble at Mt. Vernon for recruiting kids who are now ineligible due to residency issues and for having an assistant coach who is not a school employee? A friend of mine went to a rival high school back when he was coaching in W. Texas and told me that he was in trouble there for steroid use by players but I havent been able to verify that as anything more than rumor meaning it has been reported but I don't think he was found guilty of forcing them on the players.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Re: Art Briles

Postby mr. pony » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:39 am

Topper wrote:Did anyone notice that he is already having trouble at Mt. Vernon for recruiting kids who are now ineligible due to residency issues and for having an assistant coach who is not a school employee? A friend of mine went to a rival high school back when he was coaching in W. Texas and told me that he was in trouble there for steroid use by players but I havent been able to verify that as anything more than rumor meaning it has been reported but I don't think he was found guilty of forcing them on the players.

He’s having no trouble - save for jackals who think he should never work again.

Mount Vernon will NOT be forfeiting any games because the two kids in question had previously been CLEARED by the district AND the UIL.
The controversy erupted when the district suddenly went back and UNCLEARED the kids - and the media played that for all they could.

There’s no evidence Briles RECRUITED anybody - and I’m no particular fan of the guy.
mr. pony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby smitty329 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:50 am

Topper wrote:A friend of mine went to a rival high school back when he was coaching in W. Texas and told me that he was in trouble there for steroid use by players but I havent been able to verify that as anything more than rumor meaning it has been reported but I don't think he was found guilty of forcing them on the players.

Everyone was voluntarily using steroids back then - if you used a weight room, you most likely had access to and were using steroids. Ah, the 80's.
smitty329
All-American

Postby peruna81 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:26 pm

Trying to generate sorrow and sympathy for Baylor University, their Administration and Art Briles...

still trying....
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby dalpony » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:52 pm

81 - you hit it on the head
dalpony
Varsity

Postby JokerzWild » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:48 am

I grew up in Stephenville in the Briles' hayday and played for CM afterwards and my mother worked for the school district, I know for a fact that this would not be the first time for recruiting players to the district or having non-employee coaches out on the field. I do think the steroids is a bit far reaching, did some of his players use them? Sure, but did they force them to, probably not. Back then everyone wanted a reason that Stephenville was so good and I put it to a very above average talent pool, look at the playes that came out of a little 4A texas town in the 90s, including an smu qb kelan luker, kevin kolb, kendal briles, and the list goes on. I also believe the coaching staff was above average for a small town, most of the 90s coaches are now college coaches, Briles and Montgomery from tulsa were coaching together in Stephenville, Gillespie who is Tulsa's DC is from there, Briles line coach who is now with Kendal was there as well.
JokerzWild

Postby HubbaHubba » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:58 pm

You can get the man out of Baylor but you can’t get the Baylor out of the man.
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby angryfan04 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:09 pm

Briles has no business being around high school kids. He should move on and try to catch on with a pro team as an assistant
angryfan04
Varsity

Postby mr. pony » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:06 am

angryfan04 wrote:Briles has no business being around high school kids. He should move on and try to catch on with a pro team as an assistant

I hope Mount Vernon wins a state title.
The media will have a stroke.
lol

Again, those two move-ins from Colorado were initially cleared by the UIL and Mount Vernon’s district.
Suddenly, Briles’ haters flipped their decision.
mr. pony
PonyFans.com Legend

Return to Football