PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

NCAA generates over $1 billion, players get zero

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

NCAA generates over $1 billion, players get zero

Postby AfricanMustang » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:39 am

Emmanuel Mudiay wanted to play college basketball, but could not because he needed to support his family. He was not a player to be taken lightly in high school, having been was ranked second overall on Rivals Top 150 list, according to USA Today. Mudiay received offers from some of the top basketball programs, including University of Kentucky and Kansas University.

Entering his senior year of high school, Mudiay committed to play basketball for Larry Brown at Southern Methodist University, according to Rivals. He decided to play basketball overseas because he thought it would be best for him and his family. When he came back to the U.S. after what would have been his freshman year of college, Mudiay entered the NBA draft and was a lottery pick selection by the Denver Nuggets.

http://brookhavencourier.com/?p=105313
“Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.”
― C.G. Jung
AfricanMustang
Varsity

Re: NCAA generates over $1 billion, players get zero

Postby The PonyGrad » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:06 pm

There may have also been some academic issues involved.
Go Ponies!!
Beat whoever it is we are playing!!

@PonyGrad
The PonyGrad
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonySnob » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:58 pm

The PonyGrad wrote:There may have also been some academic issues involved.

Thought it was some plane tickets for family that was provided by a shoe company.
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:37 pm

Well the players get:

1. A free ride through college (and sometimes grad school)
2. All meals paid for
3. Living arrangements paid for
4. A stipend for living expenses on top of that
5. Free clothes/shoes/etc

...and probably a bunch of other benefits that I forgot. Keep in mind, the vast, vast majority of NCAA student athletes have zero fair market value; no one would care to watch them play a sport if they didn’t have a school’s name written across the front of their jersey. Don’t believe me? Check out the attendance and TV ratings for the NBA D-League or arena football. And don’t even get me started on non-revenue sports. The players are making out just fine; they don’t get “zero.”

I’d love to see a system where players on revenue sports teams got larger stipends, but alas Title IX messed that all up. But the same people crying about the NCAA wont dare broach that topic.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby bubba pony » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:58 pm

Emmanuel Mudiay's brother got a free ride to SMU and played the bench. a wasted scholarship. So some of his family's expenses were covered.
Wasn't Emmanuel involved with the High School that Keith Frazier went to and that got us the penalty with the NCAA? Mudiay was trouble.

an SMU tuition/room/board cost 1/3 million, add the other perks and they are making out pretty good.
bubba pony
Heisman

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:33 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:Well the players get:

1. A free ride through college (and sometimes grad school)
2. All meals paid for
3. Living arrangements paid for
4. A stipend for living expenses on top of that
5. Free clothes/shoes/etc

...and probably a bunch of other benefits that I forgot. Keep in mind, the vast, vast majority of NCAA student athletes have zero fair market value; no one would care to watch them play a sport if they didn’t have a school’s name written across the front of their jersey. Don’t believe me? Check out the attendance and TV ratings for the NBA D-League or arena football. And don’t even get me started on non-revenue sports. The players are making out just fine; they don’t get “zero.”

I’d love to see a system where players on revenue sports teams got larger stipends, but alas Title IX messed that all up. But the same people crying about the NCAA wont dare broach that topic.

Especially now that the P6 guarantees full cost of attendance.

If they don't like it then test the professional waters - which will work for about .5% of them.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Return to Basketball