PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Former Pony Express stars excited by SMU's success, but feel

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Former Pony Express stars excited by SMU's success, but

Postby Topper » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:12 pm

smupony94 wrote:
ponyboy wrote:Wow, tough responses. I’m shocked by the vitriol here. Former players deserve better. If Dickerson, James, and Armstrong say there’s a problem, you listen. And you fix it. End of story.

What have Dickerson and James given back to us? Seriously.

James was in Dallas Saturday night, why wasn’t he at the game or hell any game in last 30 years?

Tons of former players at the Tulsa game that had a blast. Those are who I support.

I think that the AD should call Armstrong and apologize. It's Sonny's sideline and I think that he should be the last word on any sideline passes. Surely if we have some unsold visitors tickets in the stands there would be no harm in passing some of them out to a former All-American. It is great pub to have Dickerson anywhere near the program when the national network cameras are on. As far as James is concerned, I think I remember seeing him at the Armed Forces Bowl. I sit behind the glass at the games and I'm sure that he was in the stadium club at least once or twice last year. It never hurts having someone like him hanging out among the big cigar donors as long as he isn't being political.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby 78pony » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:14 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:Dickerson seems like a guy who needs his [deleted] kissed 24/7/365

You seem like the same to me.
78pony
Heisman

Postby 35straight » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:32 pm

This is BS. Boo hoo. I’m on the Lettermens’s board and I work closely with Ramon on getting guys back on campus. There is no one saying we don’t want the guys from this era back. I know and talk to a lot of them. Every letterman (if you pay your dues $65) gets two tickets to every home game. Add to that the NCAA has added extra restrictions to who and how many people can be on the sidelines during the game. Since the DP there have been a ton of Mustangs that have competed at a high level and contributed to the this program. Are we supposed to give them all side line passes. I go to every home game and sit in the end zone with my kids. I played my [deleted] off for this school and have never once bitched that I didn’t get special treatment. If you want SMU to care about you then how about caring for SMU. Show up when we aren’t winning. Show up to a terrible non-conference game. Don’t all of a sudden appear when we are 6-0 and expect the red carpet to just be rolled out. I know another Pony Express team member that goes to all the games, stays involved, and has never once bitched about tickets.
35straight
Heisman

Postby One Trick Pony » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:43 am

35straight wrote:This is BS. Boo hoo. I’m on the Lettermens’s board and I work closely with Ramon on getting guys back on campus. There is no one saying we don’t want the guys from this era back. I know and talk to a lot of them. Every letterman (if you pay your dues $65) gets two tickets to every home game. Add to that the NCAA has added extra restrictions to who and how many people can be on the sidelines during the game. Since the DP there have been a ton of Mustangs that have competed at a high level and contributed to the this program. Are we supposed to give them all side line passes. I go to every home game and sit in the end zone with my kids. I played my [deleted] off for this school and have never once bitched that I didn’t get special treatment. If you want SMU to care about you then how about caring for SMU. Show up when we aren’t winning. Show up to a terrible non-conference game. Don’t all of a sudden appear when we are 6-0 and expect the red carpet to just be rolled out. I know another Pony Express team member that goes to all the games, stays involved, and has never once bitched about tickets.
Loyalty is a 2 way street
One Trick Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby HubbaHubba » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:52 am

I was at the USF game. The sidelines were not crowded. On the other hand at half time I was in the shade of the concourse (brutally hot day) and a man and his family came up and asked to share our standing table. Turns out he was a former player from the Pony Express era. He was sitting in the stands just like us mortals. I didn't ask but he did not appear bitter he wasn't standing on the field. I wonder how much the story was "spun" and how selective the quotes were.
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby mr. pony » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:03 am

Topper wrote:
smupony94 wrote:
ponyboy wrote:Wow, tough responses. I’m shocked by the vitriol here. Former players deserve better. If Dickerson, James, and Armstrong say there’s a problem, you listen. And you fix it. End of story.

What have Dickerson and James given back to us? Seriously.

James was in Dallas Saturday night, why wasn’t he at the game or hell any game in last 30 years?

Tons of former players at the Tulsa game that had a blast. Those are who I support.

I think that the AD should call Armstrong and apologize. It's Sonny's sideline and I think that he should be the last word on any sideline passes. Surely if we have some unsold visitors tickets in the stands there would be no harm in passing some of them out to a former All-American. It is great pub to have Dickerson anywhere near the program when the national network cameras are on. As far as James is concerned, I think I remember seeing him at the Armed Forces Bowl. I sit behind the glass at the games and I'm sure that he was in the stadium club at least once or twice last year. It never hurts having someone like him hanging out among the big cigar donors as long as he isn't being political.

As long as he isn’t being political??
Good grief. Why single him out for that?
mr. pony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mr. pony » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:04 am

smupony94 wrote:

Dickerson wants a private plane and a check to come back

James is a [deleted]

Armstrong is probably correct

James is a good dude.
mr. pony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:21 am

35straight wrote:This is BS. Boo hoo. I’m on the Lettermens’s board and I work closely with Ramon on getting guys back on campus. There is no one saying we don’t want the guys from this era back. I know and talk to a lot of them. Every letterman (if you pay your dues $65) gets two tickets to every home game. Add to that the NCAA has added extra restrictions to who and how many people can be on the sidelines during the game. Since the DP there have been a ton of Mustangs that have competed at a high level and contributed to the this program. Are we supposed to give them all side line passes. I go to every home game and sit in the end zone with my kids. I played my [deleted] off for this school and have never once bitched that I didn’t get special treatment. If you want SMU to care about you then how about caring for SMU. Show up when we aren’t winning. Show up to a terrible non-conference game. Don’t all of a sudden appear when we are 6-0 and expect the red carpet to just be rolled out. I know another Pony Express team member that goes to all the games, stays involved, and has never once bitched about tickets.

#11?
ALEX LIFESON

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:43 am

Stupid android. I swear iphone has a leg up on android in this regard. I wrote my message but it put it in the original posts paragraph. Or I was trying to frame someone. Hehehe :mrgreen:
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby 35straight » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:06 am

ALEX LIFESON wrote:
#11?

I don’t like to name drop.
35straight
Heisman

Postby ponyte » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:07 am

Dickerson comes back when he can. He is most gracious with the SMU fans on the Blvd. Want a pic, he accommodates. He always talks well of SMU. I have never witness him being anything other than a great SMU fan and teammate.

There are many players from the Mustang Mania and Pony Express era that have supported the Mustangs by showing up every game.

Most former players are not the marquee guys. I do think we should accommodate marquee players. They look great on TV on the sideline. Same is true for other well-known SMU alums. Katie Bates, Jack Ingram, The Knuckleheads to name a few.

I agree we should try to accommodate all SMU greats. However, there are limits. How many former greats at 4 passes a game can the sideline handle? NCAA limits that number. Could we honor them at halftime? Well, we already have. We have honored the Mustang Mania era teams, Holiday Bowl team, and the National Champs. And we have honored other SMU teams like the first team back form the DP.

There is a balancing act and I'm not the one to make the judgment as I have next to no knowledge of the situation or familiar with the regulations. But we might consider putting together policies so in the future we have some guidance.
ponyte

Postby BUS » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:20 am

First Off - I never got in a game - I was a Practice Squad player that mimicked the other team each week. I have a broken thumb from M. Carter to show for that.

Like most Big Media, I think this story has a directed narrative to push. Question - were the other three people for sideline passes Mustang players? Where they known people to SMU? And why was that question not asked.

There are a ton old players at games. And most come with the Letterman freebies. This article is like a play to me. It's done so on to the next play and get better.

Hugs and high fives to all the older players and the really old players :wink: :wink: Mark.

Class of 83'
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby mustangxc » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:20 am

I agree. In the last 40 years how many high profile players have we had?

Eric Dickerson
Craig James
Emmanuel Sanders
Courtland Sutton
...maybe some of our other current NFL players?

Take care of your own. It's not that hard.
mustangxc

Postby BUS » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:21 am

FYI - It was ED that made the introduction of JJ to come here. He has helped in VERY powerful ways.

Next play.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby mrydel » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:46 am

BUS wrote:First Off - I never got in a game - I was a Practice Squad player that mimicked the other team each week. I have a broken thumb from M. Carter to show for that.

Like most Big Media, I think this story has a directed narrative to push. Question - were the other three people for sideline passes Mustang players? Where they known people to SMU? And why was that question not asked.

There are a ton old players at games. And most come with the Letterman freebies. This article is like a play to me. It's done so on to the next play and get better.

Hugs and high fives to all the older players and the really old players :wink: :wink: Mark.

Class of 83'

Ouch [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

PreviousNext

Return to Football