PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

UofC to be the first U.S. university to cost $100k a year!

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

UofC to be the first U.S. university to cost $100k a year!

Postby AfricanMustang » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:06 pm

In addition to its reputation as an international powerhouse in the field of economics and a home to multiple Nobel Laureates, the school has grounds that are designated as an official botanic garden.

The privilege of attending is costly, at $57,642 for the 2019-20 academic year. It’s already one of the most expensive colleges in the country. But in less than a decade, by 2025, students like Badalamente could expect to pay more than $100,000 per year, based on projections by The Hechinger Report using annual college cost growth rates from 2008 to 2018. That would likely make the University of Chicago the first college or university in the United States to break the six-figure mark.

Three other schools — Harvey Mudd College in California, Columbia University in New York and Southern Methodist University in Texas — are projected to cost almost as much.

The university is certainly spending the money it’s brought in. It dedicated a new $81 million library — with less than a third of its cost funded by the building’s namesake donors — in 2011, adding its gleaming, postmodern-domed reading room to the campus’ Gothic and Brutalist edifices.

It added a new 800-student residence hall and dining commons, to house students for the two years they are required to live on campus. It also manages a staff that receives more than $1 billion in salary, $230 million of which is for its roughly 1,350 instructional staff and faculty, according to federal data for 2017-18. Producing and employing Nobel laureates does not come cheap.

https://hechingerreport.org/university- ... 00-a-year/
“Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.”
― C.G. Jung
AfricanMustang
Varsity

Re: UofC to be the first U.S. university to cost $100k a yea

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:57 pm

But we want to be Dallas' school...for football only, that is.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SoCal_Pony » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:02 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:But we want to be Dallas' school...for football only, that is.

CP, if you had 2 kids, and they attended SMU and TCU.....

while my 2 kids attended Harvard and Stanford.........

You will end up spending more $$$

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
SoCal_Pony

Postby deucetz » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:59 am

Shameful, these are not the lists you want to be a part of.

We should strive to be one of the best value university in Texas, and lower our tuition to under 45K

And our housing and dining costs could be lower if we didn't give away naming rights for so little.
deucetz
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:52 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:But we want to be Dallas' school...for football only, that is.

CP, if you had 2 kids, and they attended SMU and TCU.....

while my 2 kids attended Harvard and Stanford.........

You will end up spending more $$$

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My son actually considered SMU but both kids eventually decided on Clemson which saved me and Mrs CP a bundle and I think they enjoyed and benefited from their college experience every bit as much as I did.
Charleston Pony

Postby tristatecoog » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:01 pm

When I mention that my kid wants to go to SMU, most people are just stunned at the potential cost. However, if someone's kids could get into Stanford and Harvard, they would get at least $30K per year in scholarships to SMU and have a shot at a full ride presidential scholarship.

Fortunately, SC has a public school as recognized as Clemson. The same can't be said for the states between Florida and Texas.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Return to Around the Hilltop