PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Ben Hicks transfers to Hogs

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Ben Hicks transfers to Hogs

Postby Mustang1980 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:25 pm

gohogs14 wrote:Chad will likely be officially let go tomorrow morning

Yep. You'd be better off hiring me as your HC. I have no HC experience but I'm a football genius, and I'll work for only $1M per year. :mrgreen:

If I fire your boys up and they win 12 games the first two years with me at the helm you'll have to increase my yearly salary to $3M/yr. DEAL? I have some proven assistant coaches in mind that are proven winners (if somewhat long in the tooth). Hey, what's to lose? Except maybe the $9 milly for Chadski to go bye-bye!

Come on now, let's go cut a watermelon!!! I know how you Hawgs feel ... it's a hundred and ten in the shade!! Aren't you glad you're not in the shade?
The Sun Rises in St. Simons!
Mustang1980
Junior Varsity

Postby ponypatrick » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:02 am

footballdad wrote:.....'the sum of a person's actions in this and previous states of existence, viewed as deciding their fate in future existences.'

How true !!!!!
ponypatrick
Varsity

Postby mrydel » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:34 am

Officially announced that he has been fired.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Ben Hicks transfers to Hogs

Postby Treadway21 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:40 am

mrydel wrote:Officially announced that he has been fired.

Stallion hardest hit.

Maybe Traylor will be interim coach.
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21

Postby mrydel » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:43 am

In a bout of full disclosure, even though Morris lost me as a supporter with his Baylor flirtation, I thought he would reach at least Houston Nutt level with UA. I was very wrong on that belief and it had become very aware in the past few weeks.
mrydel

Postby mrydel » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:44 am

Treadway21 wrote:
mrydel wrote:Officially announced that he has been fired.

Stallion hardest hit.

Maybe Traylor will be interim coach.

Word yesterday was Barry Lunney, Jr will be interim. We beat him when he QB’d at Arkansas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mrydel

Postby Pony81 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:02 pm

I too thought Chad would muddle through for 3 years( that’s the limit SEC schools give a coach to prove himself regardless of contract length) before getting let go. I didn’t predict this kind of catastrophe..... I thought he’d get 6 wins at least one year out of 3....
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby mrydel » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:15 pm

All he needed to do was beat the G5 schools.
mrydel

Postby SMUFinns » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:29 pm

redpony wrote:CP- I do expect this will end in disaster for both Hicks and the used car salesman. Hicks had a hard time beating upper level AAC teams I chuckle to think of what top SEC defenses will do to him. Of course the arkys will blame morris if he wasted a scholly.

Red pony you called it, I was just thinking it. CM left under The cloud of darkness, disrespectful to SMU.
SD we are behind you, #PonyUpDallas.
Power Mustangs "Now is the Time" They will believe in #PonyUp
SMUFinns
Junior Varsity

Postby MiracleOnMockingbird » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:08 pm

Insane_Pony_Posse wrote:Image

Chad Post Game Presser- Western Kentucky
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxEY6PT3DNk

at 1:46 mark - reporter asks Chad about his future at the the Ark program

Wow, the questions! Just slightly more adversarial than a Rich Phillips interview.
"We hung with them until the game got out of hand." -DanFreibergerForHeisman
MiracleOnMockingbird
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:56 pm

Funny listening to Chad talk about how it's going to take time but that he's now playing young
guys that he's brought in who are going to be really good players. This thread might just live long enough to see how some of those 2 recruiting classes turn out. My guess is that most of those guys finish in the SunBelt. CUSA or at FCS level schools. BUT...I really do appreciate his having recruited Xavier Jones to SMU. X is breaking Dickerson's records that I wasn't sure would ever be broken!
Charleston Pony

Postby footballdad » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:03 pm

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby gohogs14 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:27 am

From a player's parent:

I tried to be a fan if the hire. I, like many of us, was hoping for something to bring energy to the program. I only spoke with Morris twice. My son met him, and came over for dinner and told me that he just had a bad feeling about him. He told me that Morris seemed to be all talk and no substance. I told him that he should buy in and give it some time. He and his teammates were still upset about how the Bielema firing went down. He spent 2 months in Morris’ program. All the while I was on Hogville telling everyone to be patient, it would Morris take a couple of years. After 2 months in the offseason, my son told me that he was adding an extra class a and going to finish his bachelors in 3 years and move on from football. He and I went round and round. I told him that he was going to regret leaving a program that he’d dreamed of being part of since he first played football. Then he stared telling me details about some things in the program. The straw that broke the camels back for me was what they wanted to do with my son’s position group. He had been told by Pittman when he was a freshman that he was too small and it would take him 3 years in the weight room to get to the size he needed to be. Pittman wanted him at 290-295. He was at 292. He was told that he, and all the current lineman, needed to drop 25lbs to be more mobile. I told him that small lineman won’t work in the SEC. He agreed. He then told me that he just didn’t think the staff understood the level of competition in the SEC . He told me he hated to walk away, but “I just can’t play for that coach”. And so he walked away with two years of eligibility left. When the 2018 season was about to start, I asked him how he was handling not being part of the team and how did he think they’ll do. I tried to lighten the mood and joked with him that I thought they were a 4-5 win team in 2018, but Hogville thinks he’ll win 8! He didn’t feel like joking and prophetically replied to me “3 years down the road, he’ll be fired before he’s won a total of 8 games. He’s not an SEC coach”. Again I tried to tell my son he was just upset because he was too close to the situation to remain objective. He replied, “just wait and watch”. As the season went on, he was right. I tried to like Morris. As I’ve posted, I support the program and that includes whoever’s name is on the door that says Head Coach, but Morris lost me. From what I’ve heard from media members I’ve spoken to, current and former players, people that work in the building that I still have some contact with, Morris was all about Chad Morris. He was a good catch phrase or sound bite, he wasn’t a good coach or leader. So I’ll say this, I wasn’t against the hire, but the more information I received, my opinion changed. I would never post any of this if he was still the head coach, but he’s gone and I’ve sat on this for 18 months. I guess the long reply is like a therapy session for me!
gohogs14
Scout Team

Postby tristatecoog » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:25 pm

Was Chad similar to Phil Bennett in personality? Maybe like Kevin Sumlin.
Chad still had aspiration, unlike June Jones.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:49 pm

gohogs14 wrote:From a player's parent:

I tried to be a fan if the hire. I, like many of us, was hoping for something to bring energy to the program. I only spoke with Morris twice. My son met him, and came over for dinner and told me that he just had a bad feeling about him. He told me that Morris seemed to be all talk and no substance. I told him that he should buy in and give it some time. He and his teammates were still upset about how the Bielema firing went down. He spent 2 months in Morris’ program. All the while I was on Hogville telling everyone to be patient, it would Morris take a couple of years. After 2 months in the offseason, my son told me that he was adding an extra class a and going to finish his bachelors in 3 years and move on from football. He and I went round and round. I told him that he was going to regret leaving a program that he’d dreamed of being part of since he first played football. Then he stared telling me details about some things in the program. The straw that broke the camels back for me was what they wanted to do with my son’s position group. He had been told by Pittman when he was a freshman that he was too small and it would take him 3 years in the weight room to get to the size he needed to be. Pittman wanted him at 290-295. He was at 292. He was told that he, and all the current lineman, needed to drop 25lbs to be more mobile. I told him that small lineman won’t work in the SEC. He agreed. He then told me that he just didn’t think the staff understood the level of competition in the SEC . He told me he hated to walk away, but “I just can’t play for that coach”. And so he walked away with two years of eligibility left. When the 2018 season was about to start, I asked him how he was handling not being part of the team and how did he think they’ll do. I tried to lighten the mood and joked with him that I thought they were a 4-5 win team in 2018, but Hogville thinks he’ll win 8! He didn’t feel like joking and prophetically replied to me “3 years down the road, he’ll be fired before he’s won a total of 8 games. He’s not an SEC coach”. Again I tried to tell my son he was just upset because he was too close to the situation to remain objective. He replied, “just wait and watch”. As the season went on, he was right. I tried to like Morris. As I’ve posted, I support the program and that includes whoever’s name is on the door that says Head Coach, but Morris lost me. From what I’ve heard from media members I’ve spoken to, current and former players, people that work in the building that I still have some contact with, Morris was all about Chad Morris. He was a good catch phrase or sound bite, he wasn’t a good coach or leader. So I’ll say this, I wasn’t against the hire, but the more information I received, my opinion changed. I would never post any of this if he was still the head coach, but he’s gone and I’ve sat on this for 18 months. I guess the long reply is like a therapy session for me!

Wow, that's kinda weird.
ALEX LIFESON

PreviousNext

Return to Around the Hilltop