PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

My thoughts through three games

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

My thoughts through three games

Postby LA_Mustang » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:29 pm

Jolly - a very knowledgeable source and a good PF poster kept telling me Jolly is a legit high major talent. He’s right. The guy can score in multiple ways, can rebound as well as any guard and he can defend. He will be all-AAC this season and a POY candidate next season. Regardless of what you think about Jank, you should be excited about Jolly.

Mike - our rock. He is good for 15 & 7 every night. The most dependable guy on the roster. If Jank doesn’t [deleted] this thing up he will be all-AAC.

Feron - his talent is through the roof. The best rebounder I’ve seen at SMU. His shot has improved but from 3 is still TBD.

Band - I liked him when we signed him but he is better than I thought. He will be a solid player for this program as he has two more years. Nice shot, can get to the rim and can play point in a backup role.

Chaggy- I’m so incredibly disappointed in him I don’t know where to start. It is what it is. The guy has talent but at some point you have to produce. We are still waiting.

Smith - he is not ready to play. He has a lot of talent but he’s not ready.

This team will be a lot different with Davis, and to a lesser existent McNeill. If we had a competent coach I’d be more confident.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: My thoughts through three games

Postby ponyboy » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:50 pm

Chargois hasn’t been the same since that flu episode. He was so good. Ready for him to return to form.
ponyboy

Postby LA_Mustang » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:22 am

I guess Jank was trying to send a message to Chaggy by not starting him last night but then he put him in after one minute. That was kind of silly. BTW, I didn’t mention Ray above but he played well last night - 8 points and 3 boards.The guy plays with serious energy and effort.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby Terry Webster » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:15 am

I think Ray is going to get better as the year goes in he gets back into the swing of things.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyLawExpress » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:03 am

I agree LA.

Chaggy has been awful. If he isn’t playing well offensively he is a liability on D and can’t be in the game. Good news for us is that Ray looks like he can be a rotation guy and all reports are that Jasey is solid, super athletic, and really good on D and the glass. He will be eligible in 6 or 7 games.

If we can get a waiver for Davis we actually could have a solid team despite our HC.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby JasonB » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:52 am

- Ethan is playing like someone who is getting beat by a better player in practice and knows his starting days are numbered. Very difficult thing for someone who has started for two years to go through. I predicted before the season the change in the three point line would have a significant impact on him, and it has. At some point, he will recover mentally and pick it up. But at this point, I could see him falling behind Jasey and Ray and being the third big in the rotation.
- Ray has great energy. The perfect big to bring off the bench. To me he has a Sterling Brown mentality. Winning mentality. Nice piece.
- If Mike can keep this up and be a consistent second scorer, the outlook for the team changes pretty significantly. There are a lot of nice third options on the team, we needed a second guy.
- The team is more fluid offensively than it has looked in years. Taking a lot of quality shots. Not forcing things at the end of a shot clock, and not static at all. We missed a lot o open shots the first two games, and made them last night. But the ball movement is good. This is where practice really helps.
- At the 4-5 rotation, Mike+Ethan with Ray off the bench is decent. Mike+Jasey with Ray and Ethan off the bench is really nice.
- At guard, Jolly-Bandoumel-Hunt is okay. Band is a decent player, not sure that we should be starting yet in the AAC. Smith has been playing hurt, I wouldn't judge him yet, but he is a solid bench piece. CJ has shown he is a solid bench piece. If I have a starting lineup of Davis-Jolly-Hunt that is a very nice starting group in the AAC. McNeill would be one of the best off the bench guards in the league. Bandoumel becomes an above average second guard, and CJ/Smith are both above average as the 10th player off the bench.

I know there is a lot of hate for Jank because he doesn't allow access from the media, and he is so folksy. And he didn't always go after the players the recruiting services thought he should. I get it. I've been frustrated as well, and thought he should be out after last season. But I think we are going to find out that the recruiting restrictions he was under had a bigger impact than we thought, that he has brought in some good pieces, and that once all the pieces are in place this team is going to compete for the conference championship next year.

I'd also keep your eye on what he is doing with Hunt. It would be really easy right now to play Mike as the hybrid 3/guard and just let Hunt focus on rebounding at the 4. But Jank thinks Hunt's future is a
really long 3/guard in the NBA. So he is keeping Mike at the 4-ish wing position and trying to develop Hunt's three ball and calling him a guard. IF he pulls that off, it is going to earn Jank a TON of street cred, and rightfully so.
JasonB

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:24 pm

Jolly has replaced McMurray as a dependable scorer and has been incredible so far, hitting 68% of his FGs, better than any of the bigs which is highly unusual. He's also one of our leading rebounders. Expect coaches to scheme towards taking him out of games as we get into conference play. Going to need to have a deep roster which I think we still might, depending on eligibility issues.
Charleston Pony

Postby ponyboy » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:31 pm

Very happy about Ray. Tough year for him last year.
ponyboy

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:25 pm

ponyboy wrote:Very happy about Ray. Tough year for him last year.

Perfect role player. Defense and rebounding and if he can sty healthy and develop any kind of offensive game, he will be an important piece of this team the next couple of years.
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:30 pm

JasonB wrote: Smith has been playing hurt, I wouldn't judge him yet, but he is a solid bench piece.

I really like Smith's length and athleticism. He's the kind of guard LB would have liked. Appears to be skilled and could be special as a 4 year guy.
Charleston Pony

Postby PonySnob » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:24 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
JasonB wrote: Smith has been playing hurt, I wouldn't judge him yet, but he is a solid bench piece.

I really like Smith's length and athleticism. He's the kind of guard LB would have liked. Appears to be skilled and could be special as a 4 year guy.

Has cool hair!
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby The Falcon » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:25 am

Charleston Pony wrote:
ponyboy wrote:Very happy about Ray. Tough year for him last year.

Perfect role player. Defense and rebounding and if he can sty healthy and develop any kind of offensive game, he will be an important piece of this team the next couple of years.

I agree with the two quoted posters. Ray has a great pedigree. He has worked hard to
get back on the floor. He is a team player with a great motor. He is also a leader and is well
liked by his teammates.

I watched him recuperating last year and especially watched him in shooting drills before
games and he literally shot light out. He rarely missed a shot. He just needs to translate that
to real games with a crowd in the stands, and he will be a gunner.
The Falcon
All-American

Return to Basketball