PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

The Downward Trend Continues

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: The Downward Trend Continues

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:16 pm

Just because we are "ahead of schedule" doesn't change the fact we have played poorly recently,

Still enjoying it immensely but there will always be a "what could have been" aspect to this season because legitimate NY6 opportunities for schools like SMU don't come around often.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonySnob » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:34 pm

If you don’t win the last game, nobody gives a [deleted]
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby SMU89 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:31 pm

PonySnob wrote:If you don’t win the last game, nobody gives a [deleted]
Just dont take a deleted.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
SMU89

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:43 pm

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:Just because we are "ahead of schedule" doesn't change the fact we have played poorly recently,

Still enjoying it immensely but there will always be a "what could have been" aspect to this season because legitimate NY6 opportunities for schools like SMU don't come around often.

This!
ALEX LIFESON

Postby mrydel » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:57 pm

Just do not ignore the progress that has been made. The AAC has put itself into a position now that the champion will most likely be the NY6 rep. That means we have a 1 out of 15 chance of getting there. This year, we have become a top tier team in the AAC. We are in a position in which we have not been in the past. And we have gotten there quickly under Dykes. More quickly than I think even he believed. If we can continue to progress as we have, the chances to be the NY6 rep will be about 1 out of 4. If you cannot appreciate that then you have forgotten the past 30 years.

I am heartbroken that we could not get the brass ring this year but I am already looking forward to our bowl game (which if you recall was earned 6 weeks ago) and next season. Let’s beat Tulane and finish the year with a bang.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby redpony » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:45 pm

very well stated mrydel. totally agree
redpony

Postby PoconoPony » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:54 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:Stepping back from the anger and frustration. We are ahead of schedule. A 5-7 team last year is 9-2. Albeit we dont have a michigan on our schedule but even so that's 6-6 vs 9-2. I will say losing to Tulane would put a severe damper to what was a promising season.

If we can win and get into a good bowl and perform. Sonny will have plenty of ammo for recruiting and building up this still somewhat incomplete team.

The critical factor in my view in this game was Shane's missed deep throws that were so uncharacteristic of him. Add those in and we win by a TD. QB is everything from a YoY per,spective.

There are simply too many variables to say we are ahead or behind any schedule. In sports you take what ever you can get and ride it as far as possible. This year we had the players and situations that allowed us to succeed. Unfortunately, some bad coaching, poor officiating and failure to perform cost us a more magical season. Yes, next year on paper we should be better as far as talent and experience, but there are no guarantees that the heart and experience with this year's transfers and seniors will necessarily be replaced in kind. Throw in key injuries and other variables and you are game to game every season and go as far as possible.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby JasonB » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:00 pm

PoconoPony wrote:
SMU_Alum11 wrote:Stepping back from the anger and frustration. We are ahead of schedule. A 5-7 team last year is 9-2. Albeit we dont have a michigan on our schedule but even so that's 6-6 vs 9-2. I will say losing to Tulane would put a severe damper to what was a promising season.

If we can win and get into a good bowl and perform. Sonny will have plenty of ammo for recruiting and building up this still somewhat incomplete team.

The critical factor in my view in this game was Shane's missed deep throws that were so uncharacteristic of him. Add those in and we win by a TD. QB is everything from a YoY per,spective.

There are simply too many variables to say we are ahead or behind any schedule. In sports you take what ever you can get and ride it as far as possible. This year we had the players and situations that allowed us to succeed. Unfortunately, some bad coaching, poor officiating and failure to perform cost us a more magical season. Yes, next year on paper we should be better as far as talent and experience, but there are no guarantees that the heart and experience with this year's transfers and seniors will necessarily be replaced in kind. Throw in key injuries and other variables and you are game to game every season and go as far as possible.

Agree that you never want to let chances go, because there are so many unknowns. But 9-2 in year two is way, way ahead of schedule by anyone's measure.

Depth protects you from losing a couple of players and seeing the season tank. A lot more depth next year. More importantly, a much better oline will leave us less reliant on SB.
JasonB

Postby mr. pony » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:47 pm

PoconoPony wrote:

Yep.
It’s like - lose a Super Bowl or an NFC title game and saying, ‘No worries, we’ll be back.’
mr. pony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ojaipony » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:54 am

Poor pass defense and 2 three outs in the 3rd sealed our fate. Even then, if Granson catches that pass, I like our chances.

Navy had won 16 straight last home games (senior day) I think. It would take a very special performance for most teams to have beaten them. Excuses, I know. We are SO much better than what we showed, which is why it was so disappointing to watch.

We BETTER beat Tulane. Will the team come out flat and just be happy with a bowl at this point or will they come out with a chip to prove the last game was not who they are and try to send off the seniors with a bang? We shall soon see.

(and the off season should be all about "finishing the season strong" .. championship teams start to peak in November and just keep getting stronger vs fading away ... depth, conditioning, mentally strong, etc etc)
ojaipony

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:08 am

Guys, we have more than 8 wins and not even to a bowl game. We have to be at the very least a little ahead of schedule. I like the schedule next year where we get a string of tough games at home to really punch through the conference. Hey you are right. We could just fall apart next year in the first few games and we will say yeah I guess just a fluke year but what a year.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:24 am

[ojaipony"]

(and the off season should be all about "finishing the season strong" .. championship teams start to peak in November and just keep getting stronger vs fading away ... depth, conditioning, mentally strong, etc etc)[/quote]

That was the focus of last off season.
ALEX LIFESON

Postby PonySnob » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:35 am

Opportunity wasted
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby Arkpony » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:16 am

I still cannot forget our last game in 2018. Terrible loss at Tulsa.
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby PonyTime » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:24 am

Arkpony wrote:I still cannot forget our last game in 2018. Terrible loss at Tulsa.

We need to correct our last game woes...

Since the June Jones years - there is a long history of last game flops - at home, on the road, and at neutral sites.

2018 - @Tulsa with a bowl on line
2017 - Frisco Bowl vs. LA Tech (we arguably should have lost to Tulane at home and missed bowl)
2016 - Surrendering 75 points to Navy at home
2015 - 63-0 at Memphis
2013 - 4 point loss to UCF at home in the snow with bowl on line

And don't get me started on the game at 0-10 TCU with a bowl on the line under Cavan.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Football