PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

The Downward Trend Continues

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: The Downward Trend Continues

Postby JasonB » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:30 am

Arkpony wrote:I still cannot forget our last game in 2018. Terrible loss at Tulsa.

I'm sure that will be a constant rallying cry for the team this week.

You guys are acting like we choked against horrible teams. We have lost by a combined 13 points to teams with a combined 3 losses, both games away.

Our OL isn't dominant in the run game. We don't have *that* dominant DE yet. Our Star position player isn't a stud against run and pass yet. Our safeties aren't great in coverage.

We didn't choke, and we didn't blow anything. It takes GREAT teams to run the table, even in a lesser conference like the Sun Belt or CUSA, much less the AAC. We have some holes to fill to get to that level.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mustangxc » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:41 am

PonyTime wrote:
Arkpony wrote:I still cannot forget our last game in 2018. Terrible loss at Tulsa.

We need to correct our last game woes...

Since the June Jones years - there is a long history of last game flops - at home, on the road, and at neutral sites.

2018 - @Tulsa with a bowl on line
2017 - Frisco Bowl vs. LA Tech (we arguably should have lost to Tulane at home and missed bowl)
2016 - Surrendering 75 points to Navy at home
2015 - 63-0 at Memphis
2013 - 4 point loss to UCF at home in the snow with bowl on line

And don't get me started on the game at 0-10 TCU with a bowl on the line under Cavan.

That goes as far back as Cavan and Bennett! We had a chance to go bowling in 1997 and in 2006 and lost our last games against TCU and Rice respectively.
mustangxc

Postby TwoTimeGrad » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:51 am

Very disappointing, we just didn't execute and make plays when we needed too. Got Navy to pass on long third-downs, they converted, and the final knife was the QB run for a TD on 3 and 9. Stay ahead of the game so the officials can't decide it. Let's go beat Tulane, and take 10 wins out recruiting.
TwoTimeGrad
Scout Team

Postby TwoTimeGrad » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:53 am

Another subject- many of the SMU players went over to the Navy side after the game. They stood at attention while Navy played the Alma Mater. Very classy showing by our players and coaches.
TwoTimeGrad
Scout Team

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:43 am

TwoTimeGrad wrote:Another subject- many of the SMU players went over to the Navy side after the game. They stood at attention while Navy played the Alma Mater. Very classy showing by our players and coaches.

Every team does that out of respect, which they should.
ALEX LIFESON

Postby PonySnob » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:14 pm

ALEX LIFESON wrote:
TwoTimeGrad wrote:Another subject- many of the SMU players went over to the Navy side after the game. They stood at attention while Navy played the Alma Mater. Very classy showing by our players and coaches.

Every team does that out of respect, which they should.

Wonder how many teams have worn uniforms to honor one of the service academies?
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby ponyboy » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:31 pm

It's a class gesture what these kids did. Makes me proud.
ponyboy

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:10 am

Our Defense better get some duct tape and bailing wire......

Total Defense: 98
Passing Defense: 120
Rushing Defense: 58
Scoring Defense: 106

Last 3 games.....
566 yards per game
54, 51, 35 points.
ALEX LIFESON

Postby Bergermeister » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:07 pm

ALEX LIFESON wrote:Our Defense better get some duct tape and bailing wire......

Last 3 games.....
566 yards per game
54, 51, 35 points.

:shock:
Bergermeister

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:37 pm

ALEX LIFESON wrote:Our Defense better get some duct tape and bailing wire......

Last 3 games.....
566 yards per game
54, 51, 35 points.

Is this about other teams just figuring out our schemes? about injuries? or about our rise and teams getting up for us now?
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Buddha » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:16 pm

Probably a combination of all thre, plus the fact that we're were a bit fortunate on defense early on (i.e. how many "pass breakups" did we get in thre early games when there ball hit a DB in the back? I remember several. )
Buddha
All-American

Postby ponypatrick » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:43 pm

[quote="mrydel"]Just do not ignore the progress that has been made. The AAC has put itself into a position now that the champion will most likely be the NY6 rep. That means we have a 1 out of 15 chance of getting there. This year, we have become a top tier team in the AAC. We are in a position in which we have not been in the past. And we have gotten there quickly under Dykes. More quickly than I think even he believed. If we can continue to progress as we have, the chances to be the NY6 rep will be about 1 out of 4. If you cannot appreciate that then you have forgotten the past 30 years.

I am heartbroken that we could not get the brass ring this year but I am already looking forward to our bowl game (which if you recall was earned 6 weeks ago) and next season. Let’s beat Tulane and finish the year with a bang.[/quote

Well said..............I agree completely ! The people here in the " land of enchantment" are starting
to find out who SMU is and the two D1 schools here would kill for 9 or 10 wins in a season.
ponypatrick
Varsity

Postby BUS » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:47 pm

Don't like the title of this thread as I'm freaking super happy. Without injuries at S-CB our D would be better.
Play hard Saturday.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby Junior » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:57 pm

Given that the last time we had a chance to win 10 games was 5 years before I enrolled at SMU, I’m going to go to the game and love every minute of it. We had our chances to have a perfect season. We didn’t do it. That’s football. Either way, this team made national noise this year. Who saw that coming?
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Postby Timothythegreat » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:32 pm

Junior wrote:Given that the last time we had a chance to win 10 games was 5 years before I enrolled at SMU, I’m going to go to the game and love every minute of it. We had our chances to have a perfect season. We didn’t do it. That’s football. Either way, this team made national noise this year. Who saw that coming?

Right? The level of entitlement it takes for an SMU fan to make this thread is astounding. SMU has sucked at football since a couple of years before I was born. That anyone can find anything to complain about as if they had higher expectations is stupefying.

Who In their right mind would complain about losing only two games by week 11 to 2 of the conferences top teams ( Who were also top 25 teams ) Buy a single possession? Not to mention, beating TCU this year. If I went back in time and was able to assure everybody of those three facts, we would all have preemptively gotten together to drink and celebrate a miraculous season. Yet here we are complaining that we don't have the depth to run the table in what is essentially a P5 conference in the second year of Sonny Dykes even being at the school. I should not have to explain what's wrong with that. How anyone could have seen the train wrecks that were the 2014 and 2015 seasons, Much less the decades of horrendous football proceeding, and find any fault to legitimately complain about with this team is beyond me.
Timothythegreat
Junior Varsity

PreviousNext

Return to Football