PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

2019 Other Games

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: 2019 Other Games

Postby ponyboy » Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:22 pm

sadderbudweiser wrote:Georgia getting war-crimed by Michigan State today. Down 21 in the second half.

Georgia only lost by eight.
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby LA_Mustang » Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:42 pm

Georgia is not very good but they might have the best freshman in the country in Anthony Edwards. Jolly will have his hands full.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby Terry Webster » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:19 pm

I posted this in a different spot but it is interesting that unlv took uc to overtime last night up here before losing. And uc was at full strength with Cumberland playing.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:25 pm

Down to 20 undefeated teams and we are still one of them thanks to this year's schedule. I think the only team we have beaten with a winning record is 5-3 Evansville. Just keep winning, guys and building chemistry and confidence. This team may prove to be a lot better than many of us expected.
Charleston Pony

Postby redpony » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:29 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:Down to 20 undefeated teams and we are still one of them thanks to this year's schedule. I think the only team we have beaten with a winning record is 5-3 Evansville. Just keep winning, guys and building chemistry and confidence. This team may prove to be a lot better than many of us expected.

yep- we can possibly look forward to playing HP in the 5A finals at the end of the season.
redpony

Postby ponyboy » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:38 pm

You get paid to hate on your team? Sheesh, what a sourpuss
ponyboy

Postby redpony » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:24 pm

ponyboy wrote:You get paid to hate on your team? Sheesh, what a sourpuss

ha. what a stupid comment. First, our OOC is a joke. Disagree? perhaps you can compare it with the second year OOC of LB. IIRC you used to be a big proponent of Sagarin ratings. How do those compare to LB's ratings? how do they compare to the top 50 teams in the country? The reality is that our AD and coach conspired to schedule a joke of an OOC so the lazy, incompetent coach could protect his job.
While you may prefer to look at everything through rose colored glasses a lot of us prefer to be much more objective and expect our university to excel at sports as well as academics instead of hiding the reality of poor decisions by our athletic department.
redpony

Postby ponyboy » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:22 pm

I liked what you had to say the other day when you said that with this schedule we don't know what we have. That's fair. Not drunken potshots.
ponyboy

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:21 am

We'll find out what we have when these guys line up against Georgetown, Georgia and Vandy but hopefully this is a team that can finish in the upper half of the AAC. Plenty of teams out there scheduling cupcakes in the non-conference, especially when you bring in so many new faces and the players need to get comfortable with each other and our coaching staff needs to figure out substitution patterns and how many minutes to play guys. Hopefully next year we can get into a strong holiday season tournament against some quality opponents. I'm still hoping for Charleston.
Charleston Pony

Postby ponyboy » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:54 am

Given Jank’s history, I’m not certain we have any reason to believe, knock on wood, that if our top players can remain healthy throughout the season we can do much better than just top half of AAC. Last time we were at full strength we were Top 25 and a tourney lock.
ponyboy

Postby sadderbudweiser » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:17 pm

There are surely no shortage of things to dislike about our coach and the way he’s managed the last two years. From lazy, unfocused recruiting to cupcake scheduling to excuses, excuses, excuses to poor media availability to things as dumb as wearing Kansas gear. Add in the reseat and the watering down of the mob, neither his fault, and it’s entirely understandable that people are fed up.

I’m not a Jank fan but truth be told you don’t have to like a coach... it's about results.

He’s on thin ice right now and maybe, just maybe with his past year’s recruiting he can save his butt. If Jasey and McNeil are anywhere near as good as Jolly and Davis look this is a good team. C4 looks totally developable, Bandoumel serviceable. Feron and Mike continue to improve and Chaggy is well... he’s there.
Even CJ IS looking a little better. Like it or not that’s what Jank has to coach.

So leaving personality and the past out of it...its going to come down to whether or not he can coach his guys. It’s a very balanced and competitive conference this year. Its still taking shape and it's way too early to choose winners.

I wish this team luck... they have the pieces. Let’s see what the Jankster can do.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby indianmustang » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:28 pm

maybe it is the year of SMU and we will have surprises
Mustang from India
indianmustang

Postby One Trick Pony » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:49 pm

We will know a lot more Saturday night.
I will do my best to shave a couple of free throw points from the competitor it could make a difference.
One Trick Pony

Postby PonySnob » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:07 pm

Two years ago today - 28 home wins in a row and defeat of second top 15 team within a two week span.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby smupony94 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:09 pm

smupony94

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball