PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Jerry LeVias Interview

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Jerry LeVias Interview

Postby Stallion » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:38 pm

I was doing a deep dive into the SMU Jones Film archives and came across this interview with Jerry Levias that is great. Some of the more interesting parts are at:

45 minutes-where LeVias talks about his recruitment
155:30-where he talks about being coached by Bear Bryant at an All-Star game. Apparently, the South was behind in closing minutes and Bryant told his coaches that the only way they could make a come-back would be to get LeVias the ball on every play-and they did on about the last 10-12 plays. LeVias said Bryant put his arms around Jerry and told him "Jerry when they let me I'm going to get some of you all" . This would have been about 1969 which I believe is a couple of years before Alabama signed Wilbur Jackson in 1971. So I guess Jerry integrated the SWC and Bama

http://digitalcollections.smu.edu/cdm/r ... ohdh/id/26
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Jerry LeVias Interview

Postby peruna81 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:45 pm

Local sports radio (1150 am) in College Station did an interview with him. He is an extraordinary man who was truly a game changer for SMU and the SWC, and has continued that trajectory in the following years.

A REAL hero in a world of imposters that are overhyped and overrated.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Pony81 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:57 am

Thanks for posting this interview Stallion. It was very interesting to hear about Jerry’s life and his experience at SMU. What a fine God fearing man. A real role model for any young man.
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby mustangxc » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:44 am

Jerry LeVias is the best. If you ever meet him in person he is always so gracious with his time.
mustangxc

Postby Water Pony » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:51 am

As a non-revenue athlete and contemporary of Jerry, we shared the Athletic Dining Hall in Letterman Hall. Although the various teams sat separate, there was excitement when Jerry arrived when I was a sophomore. There was pride that SMU was the leader in the SWC in offering a scholarship to Jerry.

His total impact was still in the future, but our FB team became instantly more competitive with his evasive and athletic skills. SWC defenses were too slow to adapt and SMU became a challenge for everyone other team in the conference.

When attending games in the Cotton Bowl, you couldn’t take your eyes off Jerry knowing he could create openings in an instant. Hayden Fry had elevated SMU competitiveness and desirability for recruits as a result of his decision to bring Jerry to the Hilltop. Change was in the air!
Pony Up
Water Pony

Return to Football