PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

It's official - we're a joke

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

It's official - we're a joke

Postby skyscraper » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:24 pm

https://twitter.com/SamBlum3/status/1202082233743560704

"By virtue of playing Northwestern State, @kenpomeroy now lists SMU as having played the easiest overall schedule of all 353 D-1 teams to date."

And the fans know it. That was an invitation only crowd last night at Moody.
skyscraper
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: It's official - we're a joke

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:38 pm

Wow you aren't kidding. Right on there for everyone to see.... https://kenpom.com/

I'll be curious to see what it looks like after Georgetown...
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Bergermeister » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:51 pm

skyscraper wrote: That was an invitation only crowd last night at Moody.

That was an invitation-only/RESEATED crowd last night at Moody.
Bergermeister

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:58 pm

I knew the schedule was ridiculous but wow!
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby smitty329 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:59 pm

Yet he has us ranked at #84 so what's your point? If we are a joke, where does that leave the teams from #85 to #353?

We are perfect, our players are getting experience and gelling - take it easy!!!

I hope students are studying and fans are shopping for the holiday's - things will pick up, seats will fill with conference games after the first of the year.
smitty329
All-American

Postby shadowman » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:12 pm

smitty329 wrote:Yet he has us ranked at #84 so what's your point? If we are a joke, where does that leave the teams from #85 to #353?

Very true, you play the schedule you are dealt. His metrics may say that we have played the easiest schedule, it also says, that, IN SPITE OF THAT, we are a respectable #84. Our SOS will climb significantly soon enough.
Probaly won't happen...BUT...maybe it will!!
shadowman
Hall of Famer

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:30 pm

I understand the "be calm and carry on" approach to all of this but it's still sad that we have the weakest schedule in the country.

You're right that we in the top 100 despite it but it does show the enormous risk we are under as had we lost 1 game we would be in the 200s.

I really hope that this team can takedown Georgetown and Georgia and stay perfect to conference play. If that happens then I think you will feel some buzz. I looked over a conference and it feels that this will not be the year of the American. I believe Memphis is the only ranked team. If we look at kenpom rankings:

1) Houston #33
2) Memphis #39
3) Cincy #48
4) WSU #49
5) UCONN #53
6) Temple #63
7) SMU #84

While we have 4 teams in Top 50 and 3 team in 50-100 but the conference has too many non-conference losses, and I don't believe anyone has a signature win. Correct me if I'm wrong. Obviously Memphis will spike when they get their star back for conference play (damn you NCAA).
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby skyscraper » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:32 pm

"You play the schedule you are dealt."

That is some B.S.
Jank intentionally built an OOC filled with cream puffs to inflate his record and save his job.

The fans are smart enough to know this is a house of cards and are staying away. Even the announcers for yesterdays game commented on the small crowd, wondering why people haven't bought in or noticed yet.
skyscraper

Postby redpony » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:46 pm

sky- couldn't agree more.
And this is on the coach and AD. They are both complicit. Jank should be fired at the end of this year. The schedule is embarrassing to say the least.
If we can't play with the big boys then drop down a level or pay up for a coach that can get us there. LB proved this school can win and will fill the seats when they do. It is up to the admin./bigbucks to decide what level they want to be at.
redpony

Postby Blvd_Stang » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:10 pm

I get it, this schedule hasn’t been fun. But maybe it’s just what we needed to gel a completely new team and wait for transfers to qualify.

I withhold judgement until after Georgetown, Georgia and Vandy. Let’s see our ranking then, and how the team is looking.
2009 Ponyfans Rookie of the Year
Blvd_Stang
Heisman

Postby smitty329 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:24 pm

So I assume your post on the New Orleans message board is "It's Official - we're awesome!!!" #1 SOS and 3 - 5 (including a loss to a school many of us do not feel is a joke). Is that what you prefer?

I would rather be in the company of Kentucky (#326 - including 1 loss), Ohio State (#300), and Louisville (#248) than NO and others that have a great SOS in early December.
smitty329
All-American

Postby ponypatrick » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:39 pm

shadowman wrote:
smitty329 wrote:Yet he has us ranked at #84 so what's your point? If we are a joke, where does that leave the teams from #85 to #353?

Very true, you play the schedule you are dealt. His metrics may say that we have played the easiest schedule, it also says, that, IN SPITE OF THAT, we are a respectable #84. Our SOS will climb significantly soon enough.[/quote

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: FYI...................Jank deals the cards !!!!!
ponypatrick
Varsity

Postby Pony ^ » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:39 pm

Some of you guys don't get it. That schedule will not get us into the tournament unless we win the conference. Plain and simple.
Pony ^

Postby PonyLawExpress » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:17 pm

Pony ^ wrote:Some of you guys don't get it. That schedule will not get us into the tournament unless we win the conference. Plain and simple.

The schedule is trash and Jank is not good, but lets see where things sit after we plat the 3 "Georg"s (Georgetown (67), Georgia (68), Georgia St.(141))

If we go 3-0 we won't be in a terrible spot and will prove our team (not Jank) is pretty good and deserves the attention. We will have to win alot of games to make the tourney, but our SOS will improve a ton after next 3 games and conference, but in reality we don't even know what kind of team we have yet other than they look fun and better than the last two seasons so lets just see how things look come Christmas time...
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby The PonyGrad » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:22 pm

We are only a joke if we lose those games. Also, we are getting more players. But most important:

Several of those teams were tournament teams with high win totals but are breaking in a lot of new players. You don't know when you schedule some of these in advance what will be happening with other teams.

Yes, it is a cupcake schedule so far but in hindsight, seeing how our players are gradually becoming available, it may have been just what we needed.
Go Ponies!!
Beat whoever it is we are playing!!

@PonyGrad
The PonyGrad

Next

Return to Basketball