PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

It's official - we're a joke

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: It's official - we're a joke

Postby skyscraper » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:30 pm

The collective amnesia on this board is astonishing.
We had a great tournament worthy team Larry's second year and they got left out because of a weak OOC schedule. LB and crew immediately scheduled up to fix that bc the goal is getting to the NCAA.
The only goal of this schedule is racking up empty wins so Jank can stay HC. It's the most selfish thing I've seen in a while from someone at SMU.
skyscraper
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby The PonyGrad » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:40 pm

skyscraper wrote:The collective amnesia on this board is astonishing.
We had a great tournament worthy team Larry's second year and they got left out because of a weak OOC schedule. LB and crew immediately scheduled up to fix that bc the goal is getting to the NCAA.
The only goal of this schedule is racking up empty wins so Jank can stay HC. It's the most selfish thing I've seen in a while from someone at SMU.

And you know this how exactly??
Go Ponies!!
Beat whoever it is we are playing!!

@PonyGrad
The PonyGrad

Postby AfricanMustang » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:00 pm

skyscraper wrote:"You play the schedule you are dealt."

That is some B.S.
Jank intentionally built an OOC filled with cream puffs to inflate his record and save his job.

The fans are smart enough to know this is a house of cards and are staying away. Even the announcers for yesterdays game commented on the small crowd, wondering why people haven't bought in or noticed yet.

But guys, in 2015-16, when we started the season 18-0, the best start in program history and we became the last undefeated team in NCAA Division I, it is Jankovich who was coaching and not Larry Brown who was on an NCAA-mandated suspension.

Is he really that bad?
“Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.”
― C.G. Jung
AfricanMustang
Varsity

Postby PonyLaw90 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:16 pm

AfricanMustang wrote:
skyscraper wrote:"You play the schedule you are dealt."

That is some B.S.
Jank intentionally built an OOC filled with cream puffs to inflate his record and save his job.

The fans are smart enough to know this is a house of cards and are staying away. Even the announcers for yesterdays game commented on the small crowd, wondering why people haven't bought in or noticed yet.

But guys, in 2015-16, when we started the season 18-0, the best start in program history and we became the last undefeated team in NCAA Division I, it is Jankovich who was coaching and not Larry Brown who was on an NCAA-mandated suspension.

Is he really that bad?

Barry Switzer could have guided that talented team to an 18-0 start. (tongue in cheek).
PonyLaw90
Varsity

Postby mustangxc » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:07 pm

The truth lies somewhere in between. Jank did make an embarrassingly easy schedule to pad his win total. The selection committee will torch us for it. He is also a decent coach. Not knowing who was going to be eligible this season I am not that upset that our schedule is so easy. At this point the decision was made to bring back Jank and I would think allow him to play with a full roster for 2+ seasons. I can't say I would have brought him back but what's done is done. The one good thing about this schedule is that our toughest non-conference opponents do not start until now that our team has had some time to gel and some of our players became/will become eligible in time to play in the games we really need them. I realize that there is little margin for error with this schedule, but the conference has more of a reputation now than it did the year we were snubbed. I would think that if this team finishes in the top 4 in the league we get an NCAA bid. If we don't we probably weren't getting in anyway. Going forward, it would be nice to schedule some bigger name opponents so we can attract the casual fan and make season tickets more appealing.
mustangxc

Postby One Trick Pony » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:24 pm

When all you Mo fo's start flipping the bill you can have a real opinion lol.
One Trick Pony

Postby redpony » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:36 pm

One Trick Pony wrote:When all you Mo fo's start flipping the bill you can have a real opinion lol.

OTP- with all due respect. Do you have any idea how much money has been lost by having an arena 3/4 empty? loss of $ from concession sales etc.?
There are a lot who 'no longer flip the bill' because our AD tried to shove a reseat in their faces (or other places) and didn't have the results to support it.

Understand that few on this blog are big bucks donors but many support the school as best they can.
Driving them away sure does not help future donations or support. IMO.
redpony

Postby One Trick Pony » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:38 pm

redpony wrote:
One Trick Pony wrote:When all you Mo fo's start flipping the bill you can have a real opinion lol.

OTP- with all due respect. Do you have any idea how much money has been lost by have an arena 3/4 empty? loss of $ from concession sales etc.?
There are a lot who 'no longer flip the bill' because our AD tried to shove a reseat in their faces and didn't have the results to support it.

Understand that few on this blog are big bucks donors but many support the school as best they can.
Driving them away sure does not help future donations. IMO.
I don't like to stay but hurt so I went in again how much are you donating
One Trick Pony

Postby skyscraper » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:47 pm

Everyone gets to have an opinion online! :)
skyscraper

Postby One Trick Pony » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:49 pm

skyscraper wrote:Everyone gets to have an opinion online! :)
That is correct .
One Trick Pony

Postby One Trick Pony » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:54 pm

Bla
Last edited by One Trick Pony on Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One Trick Pony

Postby Pony81 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:36 pm

Not to scratch the re-seat itch....but I bought season tickets (football since 1987 and BB since 2006) and was a $1,000/year Mustang club donor for 25+ years...why?... because we had a good product...No... because my friends and family wanted to go to the games...No....went alone mostly.... it was to support dear ole SMU...do my part... try to pull on the rope the best my economic means allowed...
But then the reseat... which is code for "this is a transaction... we get good and we don't give a damn about loyalty and school pride, we'll kick you to the curb.... NOT we get good we will raise prices - which - as a Capitalist - I understand...
So I'm no longer a member of the Mustang Club nor a season ticket holder.... if I'm in town, the weather is good, the opponent is decent then I hit the bid on one of the flurry of "specials" the athletic department runs on tickets, or StubHub....
When the re-seat deal came out I was incredulous... I told my ticket rep that people weren't MC members or buy season tickets because the teams were any good... they did it because of love of school.... this kinda kick in the nuts will back fire big time. And it has.
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:43 pm

At 8-0 we are hardly a joke. I get that the schedule has been soft but things are about to get real. One game at a time from here on out...just beat Georgetown, then add Jasey to the rotation of bigs we can put on the court and with any luck, McNeil to the backcourt rotation and let's see how it all works out. I'm expecting this team to be really tough at Moody in AAC play.
Charleston Pony

Postby smitty329 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:56 pm

The PonyGrad wrote:

He doesn't - he will never accept that Jank may not suck and everything is his and the administrations fault. It's BS - here are some facts.

In Larry's second year 2013 - 2014, SMU was 27-10 and 12 - 6 in conference. We lost road games to unranked Cinn, South FLA, and Temple. We lost the last 2 games of the regular season and the opening round game of the American tournament to an unranked Houston team at a neutral location. That makes more sense as to what doomed us - we lost some unfortunate road games and played bad at the end of the season - our supposed SOS and marquee wins earlier did not factor in. Louisville got the automatic bid and Cinn, UConn, and Memphis (all with better records) got At-Large bids from the American.

In 2014 - 2015, regardless of how much better our strength of schedule was, we made the tournament -- because -- wait for it -- we got an automatic bid for winning the conference tournament!!! Surprise!! Surprise!! (Gomer Pyle voice)

Ineligible 2015-2016 (Thanks Larry)

In 2016 - 2017 we made the tournament -- because -- wait for it -- wait for it - we got an automatic bid for winning the conference tournament!!! Surprise!! Surprise!! (louder Gomer Pyle voice)

So, don't worry about SOS and the BS people will spin in the media and selection committees - Win Baby Win - Control your own destiny - We are NOT a joke - PONY UP!! - BEAT Georgetown!!
smitty329
All-American

Postby One Trick Pony » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:06 pm

smitty329 wrote:
The PonyGrad wrote:

He doesn't - he will never accept that Jank may not suck and everything is his and the administrations fault. It's BS - here are some facts.

In Larry's second year 2013 - 2014, SMU was 27-10 and 12 - 6 in conference. We lost road games to unranked Cinn, South FLA, and Temple. We lost the last 2 games of the regular season and the opening round game of the American tournament to an unranked Houston team at a neutral location. That makes more sense as to what doomed us - we lost some unfortunate road games and played bad at the end of the season - our supposed SOS and marquee wins earlier did not factor in. Louisville got the automatic bid and Cinn, UConn, and Memphis (all with better records) got At-Large bids from the American.

In 2014 - 2015, regardless of how much better our strength of schedule was, we made the tournament -- because -- wait for it -- we got an automatic bid for winning the conference tournament!!! Surprise!! Surprise!! (Gomer Pyle voice)

Ineligible 2015-2016 (Thanks Larry)

In 2016 - 2017 we made the tournament -- because -- wait for it -- wait for it - we got an automatic bid for winning the conference tournament!!! Surprise!! Surprise!! (louder Gomer Pyle voice)

So, don't worry about SOS and the BS people will spin in the media and selection committees - Win Baby Win - Control your own destiny - We are NOT a joke - PONY UP!! - BEAT Georgetown!!
I really like your Gomer pyle voice
One Trick Pony

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball