PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU applications

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: SMU applications

Postby ponyboy » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:29 pm

Clarification: One college grad (2018), one college senior, one college freshman, and one high school sophomore. All four did Hyer, McCullough, HPMS, and HPHS.
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby tristatecoog » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:28 pm

Heard that starting in Fall 2020, you can only get direct admission to Cox BBA. No more transfers in from other majors.

I suppose that will help yield for those admitted to Cox. Will it hurt other majors that benefitted from students working towards the 3.7 or whatever to transfer into Cox?
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby geno » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:31 pm

tristatecoog wrote:Any of you have recent experience with kids or other relatives applying to SMU?

My daughter is applying. Her friend with a 1500 SAT is applying because she’s heard about big merit scholarships.

A friend from Sugarland’s kid didn’t get into SMU for this fall so she’s headed to TCU. Turned down Baylor.

I’m intrigued by all the mailings from Tulane to encourage applying for free. They seem have a great admissions operation.

My granddaughter had just the opposite experience from your friend. She wanted to be one of those TCU Showgirls, they call them, but didn't make TCU admission. She is now all anxious about eventual rush, and a really proud SMU freshman. As my wife is an SMU grad (long time ago!), someone here at home is happy.
geno
Junior Varsity

Postby gostangs » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:41 am

I call BS on this. Nobody has ever been turned down by tcu and accepted by smu.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Pony81 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:22 am

I call BS too.... TCU is essentially open admission to those willing to pay full freight....
I know of a number of kids who were horrible students that got in because their parents could stroke the check.
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby tristatecoog » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:51 pm

TCU Nursing school is quite competitive. I see some deferred Nursing School applicants with 31 ACT and 3.8+ unweighted GPA. Otherwise, they defer some early action applicants to see how interested they are during regular decision. SMU does the same.

Overall, Baylor appears a bit easier to get into than TCU during early action. In regular decision, expect to be deferred if you haven't shown interest. Otherwise, you're a yield risk.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby Pony81 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:44 am

Since SMU doesn't have a nursing school, one would assume she didn't apply to TCU nursing school.... I suppose if she wanted a nursing degree then the nearest, and logical destination would be Baylor - not SMU.
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby tristatecoog » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:09 am

Nursing candidates don't like Baylor because the 3rd and 4th years are in Dallas. I've known a couple who just said screw it if they didn't get into TCU's program and another went to Baylor as pre-health.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:03 pm

gostangs wrote:
smupony94 wrote:Have her call. Shows she’s not applying just to apply. My nephew set up appointments at Vandy, TCU and SMU and got full rides to all

Worked for nephew although he chose tcu but he promised me SMU for grad school

Tcu over SMU and vandy? Not sure I’m buying that. Doesn’t seem smart at all. Tcu student quality is waaaay below SMU or vandy.

Find it hard to believe as well. Taking away my SMU hat, no way one decides for the inferior school out of three choices when location in one of those choices is a wash. In other words, I could see someone choosing SMU over Vanderbilt because they want to stay in DFW, but to then choose tcu over SMU means either TCU is paying you more (stipend, living, food, etc) or you have a gf going there as well...
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby ShorePony » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:11 pm

We visited in April with our daughter. I hadn't been back to campus since the late 1990s and was astonished by the expansion which has been done very thoughtfully and within the existing aesthetic. Our daughter, who had little interest in SMU prior to our visit (admit it was me who really wanted to visit since we were also heading to Austin) came away super impressed with SMU (and Dallas) and has it as one of her top schools. The post visit follow up has been robust. Here in SoCal, SMU and TCU have become very popular - seems like I see a TCU decal daily on the 405. That said, it seems from the kids we know, that most that apply to SMU also apply to schools at or above its ranking, and are not considering TCU.
ShorePony
Scout Team

Postby tristatecoog » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:59 pm

Did an official SMU tour with my daughter today. I met three other students and parents. They were from LA, Maryland and Dallas. The only overlapping school was Miami. Business and pre-med. My daughter is totally sold on SMU after the tour. Students and facilities are great.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby 78pony » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:46 pm

I'm not buying the tcu rejection. My daughter had multiple friends at HP that applied to SMU, did not get in or were being told they had to wait to hear (whatever that is called I can't remember), and went to TCU, which was their (or one of their) fallback schools.
78pony
Heisman

Postby PonyLaw90 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:10 am

My daughter just received her admission letter to SMU and has been identified as a SMU Distinguished Scholar. That distinction carries a significant scholarship. Also admitted to TCU.

Her other applications are with Rice, Dartmouth, Duke, Johns Hopkins, Miami, Boston College, Miami and Columbia.
PonyLaw90
Varsity

Postby AfricanMustang » Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:02 pm

PonyLaw90 wrote:My daughter just received her admission letter to SMU and has been identified as a SMU Distinguished Scholar. That distinction carries a significant scholarship. Also admitted to TCU.

Her other applications are with Rice, Dartmouth, Duke, Johns Hopkins, Miami, Boston College, Miami and Columbia.

Congratulations!
“Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.”
― C.G. Jung
AfricanMustang
Varsity

Postby ShorePony » Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:25 pm

Our daughter also received her admission letter as a Distinguished Scholar. Very nice incentive that we weren't anticipating. Apparently, Cox admission decision comes in this week. Waiting on numerous other schools but always exciting when the first admission letter arrives.
ShorePony
Scout Team

PreviousNext

Return to Around the Hilltop