PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU applications

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: SMU applications

Postby AfricanMustang » Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:27 pm

ShorePony wrote:Our daughter also received her admission letter as a Distinguished Scholar. Very nice incentive that we weren't anticipating. Apparently, Cox admission decision comes in this week. Waiting on numerous other schools but always exciting when the first admission letter arrives.

How much tuition does the Distinguished Scholarship cover?
“Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.”
― C.G. Jung
AfricanMustang
Varsity

Postby ShorePony » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:01 pm

$25,000 per year to a maximum of $100,000 over 4 years.
ShorePony
Scout Team

Postby tristatecoog » Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:21 pm

Went to direct admit to Cox this year vs. just 100 BBA Scholars and making the others transfer in after a sufficiently high GPA. Over the last 15-20 years, that qualifying GPA has risen from 2.7 to 3.5 (?) last year. A concern is the number of applicants that are going Cox or bust. How will that impact the yield and other majors that had strong students stick with their major instead of going to Cox?
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby SMU Pony Mom » Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:09 am

tristatecoog wrote:Went to direct admit to Cox this year vs. just 100 BBA Scholars and making the others transfer in after a sufficiently high GPA. Over the last 15-20 years, that qualifying GPA has risen from 2.7 to 3.5 (?) last year. A concern is the number of applicants that are going Cox or bust. How will that impact the yield and other majors that had strong students stick with their major instead of going to Cox?

I assume they must be weighing against students who chose other school’s over SMU when they worried about not being guaranteed admission into Cox from the start?
SMU Pony Mom
Heisman

Postby AfricanMustang » Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:34 pm

ShorePony wrote:$25,000 per year to a maximum of $100,000 over 4 years.

Nice. What was the SAT score if you do not mind me asking, trying to get a nephew to apply next year.
“Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.”
― C.G. Jung
AfricanMustang
Varsity

Postby tristatecoog » Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:02 pm

AfricanMustang, based on College Confidential posts:

2nd Century: $20K per year (borderline Cox direct admit) ~31 ACT
Dist Scholar: $25K per year (Cox direct) 32-34 ACT with 3.4-3.8 UW GPA
Provost: $30K per year (Cox $) 34-36 ACT with near 4.0 GPA....many get presidential scholar invites

My advice for your nephew. Choose a few top schools and show significant demonstrated interest in each. If parents are willing to go with the school's EFC (estimated financial contribution), apply early decision to the top school.

If nephew has Distinguished Scholar stats and above, there's potential for more money from Cox, Lyle and Meadows. There are also Dedman Scholars (20/yr?) that get great perks.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby ShorePony » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:28 am

AfricanMustang wrote:

Nice. What was the SAT score if you do not mind me asking, trying to get a nephew to apply next year.

ACT = 33. Acceptance to Cox came in last week. Also accepted to Tulane with similar scholarship. Hope this helps and good luck to your nephew.
ShorePony
Scout Team

Postby PonyLaw90 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:52 am

AfricanMustang wrote:

My kiddo had a 34 ACT. Not to be outdone by SMU, tcu just offered her the same 100k over 4 years.
PonyLaw90
Varsity

Postby gostangs » Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:10 pm

PonyLaw90 wrote:
AfricanMustang wrote:

My kiddo had a 34 ACT. Not to be outdone by SMU, tcu just offered her the same 100k over 4 years.

Well at least that part should be an easy decision.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby tristatecoog » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:41 pm

A Frisco student has large $$ offers at SMU, TCU and Baylor. He's undecided because SMU has a reputation as a rich kid party school. Will he find "his people"? I told his dad that TCU is more of a party school and is considerably lower ranked (comp sci). There is a wide range of people at Lyle so they're going to admitted students day to check out the fit. People party at Rice too. :)
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby tristatecoog » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:04 am

From early Feb: A former colleague's son (Latino) who has a $25K per year to SMU plus $5-10K from Lyle. His dad (HBS grad from Mexico) said the son was concerned that he might not fit in at SMU because he's not into Greek and rather introverted. High stat guy and leader at an excellent north Dallas school. His other choices are TCU, A&M and Baylor so I told the dad that TCU is at least as Greek and not nearly as well regarded academically. Baylor isn't well regarded for computer science. A&M is big but a good value. It may be up to me to work this guy.

Update: Son visited SMU during Monday's admitted students event. "He really liked it. He is seriously leaning towards SMU. Great school, program, students and professors." Yeah!

Maybe it didn't hurt to be coming off a home win over #20 Houston on Saturday night. :) As of a couple weeks ago, seven kids from my daughter's school have committed to SMU. Nine to TCU. Hogs and OU with over 20 and UT #1 with 31.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby tristatecoog » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:20 pm

Friend's son committed to SMU over A&M for Engineering. Go Ponies!

He said that TCU and Baylor were putting on a full court press with calls, letters, etc. because they are trying to build up their engineering and STEM programs. However, at this time, they are too fledgling to give serious consideration even with lots of $$.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby AfricanMustang » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:42 am

tristatecoog wrote:Friend's son committed to SMU over A&M for Engineering. Go Ponies!

He said that TCU and Baylor were putting on a full court press with calls, letters, etc. because they are trying to build up their engineering and STEM programs. However, at this time, they are too fledgling to give serious consideration even with lots of $$.

Nice.
― C.G. Jung
AfricanMustang
Varsity

Postby NavyCrimson » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:56 pm

Selecting SMU engineering over A$M's is quite a compliment for SMU's program. I always thought the Aggies had one of the best schools in the country.
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby PK » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:28 pm

NavyCrimson wrote:Selecting SMU engineering over A$M's is quite a compliment for SMU's program. I always thought the Aggies had one of the best schools in the country.

So does SMU.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Around the Hilltop