PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

MBB vs. Georgia State game thread

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: MBB vs. Georgia State game thread

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:13 pm

Only caught the last 8 minutes of this one but that sure looked like the same Georgia State team that made some noise in the NCAA Tourney by pressing all over the floor, creating TOs and jacking threes. Good thing Davis is a FT shooting machine because he had to make a lot of clutch FTs to hold onto the lead. Davis had another 9 assist night vs only 3 TOs and several lob dunks with Hunt on the receiving end in the 8 minutes I watched. Mike with a double double and as a team the guys had 21 assists on 29 made FGs. I'd say they moved the ball around better tonight than I witnessed against Georgia last time out.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mustangxc » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:22 pm

Nice win! While they turned the ball over way too much, the team showed resolve in building back the lead after giving it up late in the first half.
mustangxc

Postby JasonB » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:18 pm

Georgia State isn't a bad team. They have lost their games by respectable margins to good teams. Things I noticed:

- I didn't like the rotation. We didn't get Jasey or Ray any time in the second half. Not rotating more when we were up 15 in the second half caused the team to run out of gas once GSU turned up the pressure in the last 8 minutes.

- I did like that we ran more set plays in the half court than we did against Georgia. So it looked like there had been some correction.

- I didn't like our turnovers in transition. It reminded me of "early Nic". Forced passes instead of bringing it back out. If we hadn't turned the ball over like that or jacked up transition threes, we win this by 20.

- That is a big difference between Jank and LB. There was a sequence in the second half where Jolly had a quick, bad shot on a transition, and then the next fast break KD threw it away. Larry would have subbed those guys out at that point and had a quick corrective talk on the bench before getting them back in the game. That doesn't happen under Jank, and I think it hurts the development.

Still on track, I thin, to finish about 4th or 5th in the league. Right on the border for Jank to keep his job. We will see what happens.
JasonB

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:39 am

[quote="JasonB"] - I didn't like our turnovers in transition. It reminded me of "early Nic". Forced passes instead of bringing it back out. If we hadn't turned the ball over like that or jacked up transition threes, we win this by 20.

- That is a big difference between Jank and LB. There was a sequence in the second half where Jolly had a quick, bad shot on a transition, and then the next fast break KD threw it away. Larry would have subbed those guys out at that point and had a quick corrective talk on the bench before getting them back in the game. That doesn't happen under Jank, and I think it hurts the development./quote]

Jank had an opportunity to work under Coach Brown and learn from him, but there just aren't many Larry Browns in the coaching world. One of the truly great teacher/coaches.
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:51 am

A few observations after looking at the box score this morning:

Announced attendance 4,085. Obviously more than 1500 season tickets sold. C.J. White is maybe our most improved player vs last season. He's getting the most minutes off the bench and has quietly had a better than 2:1 assist:turnover ratio which is impressive for a bench guy. Jasey & Ray played a combined 12 minutes and between them did not pull down a single rebound. Our guys hit 90% of their 2nd half FTs while protecting the lead. Hope that continues.
Charleston Pony

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:42 am

Charleston Pony wrote:Announced attendance 4,085. Obviously more than 1500 season tickets sold.

Last night should be a very accurate reflection of season tickets sold.

We have gone from close to 7000 season tickets, to around 5500, to 4000 in just two seasons.

That's a lot of $10 beers.

It was great for SMU to win last night though!!! It took a bit of the sting out of the bowl game.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Previous

Return to Basketball