PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU vs. UGA

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: SMU vs. UGA

Postby EastStang » Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:33 pm

Jolly was gunning late.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonySnob » Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:34 pm

Jolly helps doom the Ponies with critical missed free throws
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:38 pm

Seriously, how many times have we lost by letting them dribble all the time down to less than 2 seconds for the go ahead. Press him. Foul him. I rather be on offense every single time with time to shoot then count on our defense.

People give this lame excuse that somehow that worse. We've lost every single time playing defense.

Also we choked on critical foul points. All. The. Time.

Anyways, regret turning it on when we went into OT.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Topper » Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:42 pm

Very poor shooting all the way around tonight despite good rebounding on offense. And Georgia's defense didn't seem all that great to me. Mike was impressive at times. Never thought that Jolly would falter at the line the way he did. Does anyone know how many minutes Jasey played?
Topper
Hall of Famer

SMU vs. UGA

Postby PonySnob » Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:59 pm

Based on tonight, not sure we want Jolly with the ball at the end of a game
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:14 pm

We had 2 good opportunities to win this game that I will put on coaching. In regulation, we get a break and have the ball with 1.5 seconds under our own basket. NO EXCUSE for not at least getting a shot and we don't even get the ball in! That's coaching. Period.

In the 1st OT we are up 2 and beat their press, have 3 on 1 with 15 seconds to play and we don't go aggressively to the hoop to take a 4 point lead with what might have been 12-13 seconds to play. Instead, we hold the ball, wait to get fouled and choke the FTs. Sorry, but I will take that 4 point lead all day long and the odds were with us to get that lead by playing aggressively to win.

Hey, Jolley missed FTs and that is very uncharacteristic of the way he has played and Davis forced too many shots and shot poorly tonight...granted that's a huge part of this loss but I'm disappointed our coaches didn't help our guys win this one tonight, I saw too much moving the ball around the perimeter and guys going one on one as the shot clock started running down. Coach Brown would be very disappointed watching the ball our guys played tonight.

Very entertaining game, though. I will concede that much.
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:17 pm

Topper wrote:Very poor shooting all the way around tonight despite good rebounding on offense. And Georgia's defense didn't seem all that great to me. Mike was impressive at times. Never thought that Jolly would falter at the line the way he did. Does anyone know how many minutes Jasey played?

Mike. Jolly, Hunt & Davis all played more minutes than anyone on Georgia's team and Davis and Jolly's 45 minutes may have been a factor in their poor shooting. Jasey got 12 minutes and I didn't have a big problem with that
Charleston Pony

Postby Treadway21 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:52 am

So Davis breaks the press and is in front court. He gives it to Jolly who rather than move the ball around to eat the clock takes a foul and misses the free throw and leave 15 seconds on the clock.

Davis was 2 for 2 on free throws for the game and hasn’t missed a free throw all season. Jolly is only 75% on the season. Why is Davis giving the ball up in that situation? I think he thought Jolly would play keep away to run the clock.

SNAFU Either waste the rest of the clock or have your best free throw shooter in the line or both. We did neither. Frustrating - this should have been a win.
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21

Postby ponyboy » Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:05 pm

Up 5 with 31 seconds, yes.
ponyboy

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:32 pm

Through our 1st 9 games these guys hit almost 80% of their FTs and I said it would help them win a lot of close games..until they choked last night hitting barely more than 50% when every FT was critical.
Charleston Pony

Postby JasonB » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:40 am

Missed FTs killed us.

But also the lack of help defense on the final drive.

And also, no set offense at the end of the game. Just a bunch of 1 v 1 isolation.

Jank had been much better this season running a play and scoring after dead ball situations. But that game was a disaster.

A loss on the road to an SEC team isn't the end of the world. But we should have pulled that one out.

Again, Jank has to finish top 5 in the league to keep his job. That game didn't show an ability to win close games, which is going to prevent a top 4-5 finish.
JasonB

Postby PonySnob » Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:58 pm

JasonB wrote:Again, Jank has to finish top 5 in the league to keep his job. That game didn't show an ability to win close games, which is going to prevent a top 4-5 finish.

Anybody know a good realtor?
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby sadderbudweiser » Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:49 pm

PonySnob wrote:
JasonB wrote:Again, Jank has to finish top 5 in the league to keep his job. That game didn't show an ability to win close games, which is going to prevent a top 4-5 finish.

Anybody know a good realtor?

LOL. Yes.

You want an SMU grad or “other?”
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby EastStang » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:12 am

Missed FT is usually a tiredness issue if the player is a good FT shooter to begin with. If its a player who can't hit them, and there are such players out there, then you can't expect them to suddenly hit them. Trust me, I know, I was one of them for years. You can't coach it, sort of like having the yips in golf, its all in the head.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:03 am

We have had free pitch problems for years going back to LB.

It's actually been pretty good this season at 78.6%.

But missing the clutch free pitches in a game that ends up in double overtime always hurts no matter the overall percentage.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Previous

Return to Basketball